Is this true?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Datura, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Most people who commit suicide never mention their plan; they carry it out, which comes as a shock to those who know them.

Opinions are welcome, but I'm interested in statistical evidence, if there is any.
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Both of my attempts were spur of the moment. I was alone, hurting real bad, and had no thinking ability at that time.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Noone would have known about my brothers suicide He was getting better some people leave all kinds of clues and others just cant deal with the pain so it is impulsive. If they could just fight through pain for a bit longer then the feeling would subside and they would have the strength to continue. When you feel this kind of pain don't fight it alone get help okay I have and crisis team is so helpful please remember that.
  4. Rosiex

Rosiex Member

I've told people about my plans.
    I might call someone at the very last minute if I go through with my current plan this time
  5. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

I think that's true for the fact that if you told someone, they would likely try and prevent you from doing it that way. So there's that fear that if you tell, then it wont work out. I mean, Ive never mentioned that I even have a plan except for on here. I dont want ppl stopping me once i told them.
  6. Mathale

Mathale Well-Known Member

It might be statistical that plans are never told. But it seems to be a common trait that those who commit suicide are the ones 'no one expected'.

There have been studies with children who have thought about suicide and those who have commited suicide. Both cases showed results where a very small percent of parents knew about it.

'' In a study of 59 adolescents who had thought about suicide, the parents were aware in only 6 cases. Even more worrisome, out of 36 children who had made suicide attempts, the parents were only aware of this in two cases! (4) Parents do better at figuring this out if one of the parents has had depression, if the child has multiple psychiatric problems, or there had been lots of trouble in the home. The bottom line is that you should assume that all teens that are seriously depressed are thinking about suicide until proven otherwise.''
  7. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

That's not accurate. The majority of people who commit suicide give signs as to their intent before they actually try it. There are some who deliberately conceal their intentions, but the majority don't, at least to the extent of offering significant clues that they intend to attempt suicide. That's a basic statistic you could read in a textbook.
  8. Mathale

Of course its not entirely accurate, the methodology behind the study is vague and lacks the emperics to be able to stereotype suicide traits with such findings.

Its not a textbook answer, its a pop at statistics which is what was asked. The questions was aimed at 'telling the plan'. You are not answering his question. Because what you are mentioning are the psychological personality traits of a suicidal person. The warning signs of someone who wants to commit it. Shock was asking if people tell others before they do it. Give some evidence to your findings too.
  9. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Most people I know are aware that I'm really close to the edge, and yeah I preety much hint at it sometimes. I got it all kinda planned, what to do, who to call at the last minute for a desperate attempt to see if I really wanna go through with it, even what should follow right after I die I planned by leaving exact instructions.

But that's just me, I was always a planner, I never leave anything to chance.
  10. Mathale

Prevalence of and Risk Factors for Lifetime Suicide Attempts in the National Comorbidity Survey

Vol. 56 No. 7, July 1999 - Archives of General Psychiatry

Results Of the respondents, 13.5% reported lifetime ideation, 3.9% a plan, and 4.6% an attempt. Cumulative probabilities were 34% for the transition from ideation to a plan, 72% from a plan to an attempt, and 26% from ideation to an unplanned attempt. About 90% of unplanned and 60% of planned first attempts occurred within 1 year of the onset of ideation. All significant risk factors (female, previously married, age less than 25 years, in a recent cohort, poorly educated, and having 1 or more of the DSM-III-R disorders assessed in the survey) were more strongly related to ideation than to progression from ideation to a plan or an attempt.

Conclusions Prevention efforts should focus on planned attempts because of the rapid onset and unpredictability of unplanned attempts. More research is needed on the determinants of unplanned attempts

Some more stats, but a little of the mark to what you were asking. I think in conclusion to this study its saying that those who were always thinking about suicide from the start were more at risk than those who had it in mind and created a suicide plan.

Its saying planned attempts should have more focus too. Im assuming because of the apparent signs signals and hard facts of the patients mind, making it easier to deal with. It says though that more research is needed on the determinants for unplanned. Over all it doesnt give a clear statistic to which type of suicide is more common - yet planned should be of higher interest for care.
  11. Mathale

sorry to bore you, but some more interesting finds... a secondary source within an article i found.

Suicide in the North of Thailand
    Manote Lotrakul, MD*
    * Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital
    Objective: To examine the characteristics of complete suicide in the North of Thailand from 1998-2002.

Mongkol A. Epidemiology of attempted suicide
    and complete suicide. Proceedings of the Second
    International Conference on Mental Health and
    Substance Dependence; 2003 Aug 19-21; Bangkok,
  12. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I've never attempted but someone in my home did. While I didn't actually ask her outright if she had been planned it beforehand, it looked very spur of the moment to me. From what the police told me, she had just had a very bad day and decided she didn't care anymore. She isn't the gutsiest person in the world, if she had sat down and thought about it for a while I doubt she would have gone through with it.
  13. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

I'm answering the question perfectly fine. I'm not sure what you're arguing against, but buy any book specifically on suicide and it'll say the same thing. Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide, Why Suicide?, November of the Soul, The Suicidal Mind, and Essential Papers on Suicide all say so, all of which I've read.

It's a textbook answer. Most suicidal people want intervention and leave signs that they're going to attempt suicide without actually saying it. That's just a basic statistic.

Now, if you're talking about impulsive versus planned suicide, most suicides are impulsive (i.e. the decision was made in less than five minutes before the attempt) and few are planned.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
  14. Mathale

sweet , which is what i said from the start. :sparkle:
  15. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses. Both the personal stories and studies were interesting.
  16. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Don't know of any statistics, although considering how devoid of understanding that basically everyone is about these things, it generally has to be the case. Giving signs about it as opposed to outright saying it is of course an entirely different matter. Myself, however... my mother is different from most people so I have actually told her several times that since I don't want to become old, I will die by my own hand at an early age, even if I find my true love (or despite that I had "found her", as I thought for a time). I have told her so it won't utterly shock her and hopefully not completely devastate her when I do it. I have also hinted about it to my father but he'd never understand it so I'd never say too much to him.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.