Is violence always a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by KC1985, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KC1985

KC1985 Member

I just wanted to ask sf this.I'm not sure if this is the right place or not. I do not think violence is always a bad thing.

2. 41021

41021 Banned Member

doesn't have to be bad or good... i think there is a lot of space between bad and good and likely quite a bit to fill it up with.

i think if i could take a heavy iron bar to my head right now (i'll spare you the description), it would be a really good thing...that's violence. it's not bad.

3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Our entire universe is created through violence, thus violence is perfect because the universe is perfection.

4. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the context, but in general violence is not all bad.

5. Archon

Archon Well-Known Member

It's a mtter of oppinion, i think violence is good because of the anarchy it keeps.

6. pit

pit Well-Known Member

History is shaped by violence. Unfortunately, flesh and bones are broken and ripped by violence. However, the Earth is molded by violence. Sadly, teeth and skulls are smashed in by violence. Luckily, nations are born through violence. Yet, only corpses and burned out buildings are left by violence.

7. Robin

Robin Guest

Anarchy does not have to be based on violence, violence is just a lot more convenient and easier to use for those with the weight to use it to get what they want done, especially in a world when there are still people so willing to abuse the kindness of others.

8. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

good bad who cares - the thing is we should try to avoid it at all costs

9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I have to throw in the nay vote. Wish there was no need for it but it serves a purpose. There is good and bad in everything. There has to be so that we can distinguish between the two. There has to be light so we can understand dark. There has to be life to experience death. There has to be evil so that we can recognize good. There has to be violence so that we can relish the enjoyment of non violent times or acts. Ying and Yang. It's the very essence of the universe. There has to be one force for another force to exist. And in and from that there is gained experience and knowledge.

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I second that.

11. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

There are justifiable reasons for violence especially against unwarranted aggression (street crime for instance) or governments seeking control beyond reason (Iran planning to annihilate Israel). That said, violent acts committed by Earth's most evolved creature are almost always an unnecessary substitute for resolving conflicts intellectually.

12. itmahanh

Since when did apes start resolving conflicts with violence???? Ohhh you mean humans. Dont see us as the most evolved or intelligent beings on this planet. My bad.

13. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

personally i hate it, but sometimes its the only way.

14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Violence is always to be avoided. If for example, you're walking down the street and you're attacked by some random crazy, you probably have no choice but to try and defend yourself.

But going out of your way to do violence is indefensible.

15. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Mindless violence in unacceptable, however violence can be justified as a means to obtaining a goal, such as 'Propoganda of the Deed'. We have the right to resist, to expropriate money and arms, to kill the enemy of the working class, to bomb and do whatever else aids us in winning.

16. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

just like in anything it depends on the context...if your boyfriend beats you up, that's bad and unacceptable...but if you have to defend yourself and the only option you have is to hit the perpetrator in order to save your life or escape, then that's what you need to do...

maybe you were talking about violence on tv? or video games? I think that it can be good to release anger we have inside, it prevents us from hurting other people...there's always exception to that where people take it way too far...

17. itmahanh

and
    Sorry but there is a pretty thin line distinguishing those two. This leaves the interpretation of violence to the individual and or minority and really then how do you deem what is an acceptable level of violence? It almost sounds as if to that degree you are willing to accept any level of violence or agression as acceptable as long as it accomplishes your primary goal. So then say the person that uses violence to subdue their sexual prey is right because he/she obtains their goal? Hitler was right because his violence and mayhem was helping him to achieve his goal?

18. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Since always. There's almost always some bullying or fighting over food or social ranking.

There have also been occasions where an alpha male will kidnap a woman, hold her hostage and then throw barrels at anyone trying to rescue her.

19. Robin

Robin Guest

Gotta love the 80's :rofl:

20. itmahanh

My bad.... just call me Donkey..... Donkey Kong!!! And that's Ms. to you sir!!!! (lol).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.