Is your depression caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by stinkymouse, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkymouse

stinkymouse Well-Known Member

Or by circumstances in your life,i sure dont have a imbalance,my depesstion is caused by having parents that didnt care about me,and getting beaten with a belt most nights,causing an unhappy childhood and having it effect me in adulthood like having relationship problems etc..thats why medication doesnt work for me,the memories are still fresh in my mind.....
    Is this the same for most folks..other people causing your mental ill-health and nothing to do with any brain circuits?
  2. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Yep got treated like an animal by an animal...................

I listen to read or watch all these studies of kids being ruined by their childhood and it reminds me I've got no chance.

Fluoxetine can't beat it. (For me)

I've worked hard but the song remains the same.

Tough luck, for me and just my opinion.

Black response that.....but I'm feeling pretty black......
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I think that once you get depressed, no mather what for, there is always imbalance of brain chemicals.
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Depression is not caused by a chemical imbalance. It is first a choice to be depressed, then the imbalance takes effect. The soul is always in charge.
  5. stinkymouse

stinkymouse Well-Known Member

Who the heck would choose to be depressed?
  6. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

C'mon ilove you.......................Iv'e just deleted (edited) the rest as I'm too annoyed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Yes I think so. My parents both have severe depression and other things.
  8. fromthatshow

That's a good question :)
  9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Is this a joke?
  10. annie-crafts

annie-crafts Well-Known Member

Valid psychological research shows that if you are abused in any way and/or experienced any trauma and/or experienced any other bad thing that deeply affected you - it can affect your brain chemistry - in a negative manner. When you are a child, your brain is still forming and experiencing abuse can most definatley cause an imbalance in your brain chemistry. As well, it can influence your self worth and how you see and experience the world. Valid research also shows that there can be genetic factors that can influence brain chemistry.

That is why medications were invented - to treat the part of your brain that is imbalanced. It's just not an exact science. And when you add trauma to the mix, it gets even more complicated.

Personally for me, I inherited depression and anxiety genes from my dad's famiy (everyone in his immediate family had some sort of mental health issues), I was also abused as a child and sexually molested. All of the abuse happened when I was a child and when my brain was forming (scientists say that the brain isn't totally formed until around your 20's.)

I know this because I have researched it a great deal.

Medications can treat the imbalance in your brain. (and again, I say...can) But most likely some type of therapy provided by an experienced professional who has experience dealing with trauma can be needed to deal with the abuse and trauma.

I am in my 30's and still dealing with trauma issues. Many medications don't work for me, but some have helped. It's a mixed bag.

I don't have control over my brain chemistry or what happened to me, but I do have control over how I deal with these issues.

iloveyou, If you believe that the soul is in charge, then I would ask you - What about the body that inhabits the soul? The physical body experience very real concrete experience, negative or positive, that affect your whole self.

And yeah, who would choose to be depressed??? How would a child "choose" to be depressed?

stinkymouse, have you tried any therapy dealing directly with your trauma? It may help.

Again, this is my personal experience and based on the research that I have studied.

11. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

:blink: I chose to be depressed? I knew I made bad decisions, but woah. This one takes the cake... and the chef who made it.

I really don’t have any good reason to be the way I am.
    I’d say my brain chemicals are just messed up.
    S’pose there is are a few genetics that could have aided with my sad attempt of chemical balance in my head, but meh.
    In the end I'm just me ... unfortunately.
  12. PaleGhostGirl

PaleGhostGirl Member

I agree with you annie-crafts. I feel it's a combination of both trauma and chemical imbalance after reading and studying what I have.

I, too, seem to have inherited the depressive gene from my father's side of the family. So many family members have had problems with it. Me, dad, both brother, numerous cousins, etc.

My mother's side of the family was the cheerful, happy-go-lucky side. Somehow that did not trickle down to me, lol! :wink:
  13. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

well, it is scientifically sound that brain chemistry and the fact that life
    essentially stinks on ice are both related to depression. what is NOT
    known is what came first. so as a pig ignorant NON physician or EGGZPERT
    I can only speculate. for most of us, I think the chemicals are off due to the
    situations being off. but it seems like some people are depressed for no
    good reason and some people are WAY depressed while others are rather
    low grade depressed and muddle thru. yeah, I think brain chemicals are
    certainly a big factor. it really goes hand in hand. and in spite of my
    dissing of modern medicine or even old medicine in general, I think there
    are some people who are genuinely caring and trying invent stuff to help
    with the brain chemistry and hence the depression. of course, there are
    also carpet bagging snake oil peddlers by the cargo hold. second opinions
    are always a good plan. anyway, yeah, in a roundabout way, depression is due to an imbalance.
  14. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

probably not, mores the pity. I wish more folk would include
    the disclaimer in their posts as I do. "I AM NOT AN EGGZPERT.

doesn't it make more sense that way? he is completely wrong,
    by the way. so fret not. if it was a joke, it fell flat.
  15. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

*sorry if this is offensive to anyone. mods feel free to edit if necessary*

Feared, religious types think they know everything. they don't. be nice to
    him, but do not take him seriously in regards to mental health issues.
    it is possibly in the top 100 silliest posts I have seen to date :biggrin:
    again, not meaning offense, Iloveyou's comment is absurd at level best.
    take no notice of it. you did NOT chose to be depressed.
  16. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

don't ya KINDA think MAYBE you should add a "in my opinion anyway"
    on there so it doesn't sound QUITE as preachy and sanctimonious?

uh.....I thought this was the depression section of the suicide forum. if
    it's really the "Our Lady of perpetual Misery, Christ the Savior, we take
    credit cards in the tithing plate church of God the utterly Indiffernet"
    ......then pardon me all to hell, no pun intended :biggrin:

I mussa got lost!
  17. plates

plates Well-Known Member

apparently, right now, I'm not mentally ill. For a few months I'm schizophrenic, then I'm bipolar, then depressed, right now, I'm mentally healthy, those brain chemicals have all settled down because I'm so insightful into why I felt the way I did before, whereas psychiatrists in my experience, want you to sit there and say, "I'm so scared, I am seeing these helicopters, the news is talking about me, and I don't understand why I'm feeling like this." Now I do understand that it's purely my brain chemistry, I ain't mentally ill. :tongue:

I've been through a lot of shit in my life (basically living in war zones and having to adapt to those environments psychologically), and being in high stress situations has an obvious effect on me physically, I can feel it physically, so I wouldn't be surprised if that has has tired out my brain too, as my brain is part of my body and generally I need a lot of sleep and rest, otherwise I go manic. When it comes to a blood test for a mental illness, there is none, and psychiatric medication never helped me personally, other than helping me sleep (which I need lots of when I can't) and I've been off medication for so many years, so according to my doctor, I'm not mentally ill :biggrin: because I'm not getting killed by their so called patronising 'service' and putting myself through their BS every week.

Bet if I started to work or be forced to do anything, I'd become 'mentally ill' again, who knows?:mellow:

Yeah his comment was offensive. If it's a choice to be depressed then good luck on changing your 'soul' to correct the 'chemical imbalance'. People are individuals. People will experience things differently. And some people are in a hell of a lot of pain here because of things they feel they cannot change, whether they think it's a chemical imbalance or not is up to them. I used to think there was something inherently wrong with me when I was so severely depressed when I was 17. And I was really really ill then, physically mentally exhausted and brain dead. It's taken me 6-7 years to figure out why I felt so bad, it was because I was waking up to what I'd been living in, which was absolute horror, lies, deceit and people pretending that everything was 'okay'.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  18. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

war zones..well, theres a lot of those. I'm sorry you had to deal with
    that and am glad you survived. I guess it's none of my biznezz, but I can't
    help being curious where you were, or are.

so, you are now dealing with life without any meds or anything from
    the medical types? that's good. that does sound like you have come out
    of it all with a strong constitution.

or maybe I am misunderstanding. it sounds from your post like you are
    feeling better now (though not perfect) than you were 6 or 7 years ago.

this part....

sounds like about no fun. I cannot imagine what that is like. just the term
    warzone changes the whole perspective. as I say, I can't imagine. thanks for your post. I hope you are doing ok :smile:
  19. fromthatshow

lol obviously it's just my opinion. what proof could I provide? From the books I've read and my own personal experience, I find it gives me more power to know that it is a choice, and figure out why I continue to make poor choices when I could choose to see things differently :heart:
  20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

war zones =my house. my family. where i live, in getting help from anywhere. behind closed doors, or in MH's a struggle to get help here.
    thanks for your thoughts. :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.