Isn't cutting "pain" addiction?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by nicesinging1, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

This is my first time posting in this forum. But first, pardon me, I am not someone who has cutting addiction. I am just making this thread because I am trying to understand why people resort to cutting as coping method.
    One thing I am wondering is that, isn't cutting pain addiction? Isn't cutting addiction different compared to drug, alcohol, cigarette and sex addiction in that cutting causes pains, not pleasures?
    What makes people hooked up on cutting when they are going through pains to endure even more pains? It certainly is different compared to temporary pleasures or highs that you get from other stimulants such as alcohol and drugs.
    Thanks in advance for insights.

-Hank-

2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

To answer your main question, yes, for me, I guess I would say cutting is pain addiction. I haven't cut myself since December, but I have actually been missing it a lot recently but I'm trying not to go there. The other thread I started may help you understand:

A guide to self harm.

1)Seeing the blood, feeling the pain makes me feel alive.
    2)As a punishment, I feel a lot of self hatred towards myself, hate the person I am and I feel as though I need to punish this person.
    3)Distraction. I find that when I am stressed, the urges to self harm are much higher than they would normally be and when I self harm, the focus of the attention is diverted, if only for a short period of time.
    4)Control. Self harm gives a sense of control. Something you can control. It feels as if it is the only thing you can control. Everything is happening around you, in your mind that you can’t stop but by hurting yourself, you gain a sense control.

No doubt, the pain from cutting is different to that of smoking, drugs etc but adrenaline is produced so I guess the pain can be classed as a 'pleasure' too, just, in a different way.

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

You dont feel more pain, but less pain...
    I mean at the moment when you cut you dont feel psihycal pain at all...

4. rwillson

rwillson Well-Known Member

never about pain for me, it never hurt, if i want to inflict pain i know a lot better ways and even then it isn't about pain for me. it has always been about control. using Si to control how i feel...

r...

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I'm also trying to understand why people cut themselves. To me its a compulsive behaviour like gambling.

6. alison

alison Well-Known Member

To start, I've never cut myself, but I used to burn myself.. which I guess is a kind of self harm. (by saying "used to" I'm being fairly optimistic since I stopped less than a week ago...)

For me, it hurt the instant I burned myself... but I really liked the sting. It was like a zap of life - it made the adrenaline start flowing. I would usually do it in the morning, and then all day I would feel the sting under my sleeve and it would be my own little secret. I loved the scars, I was almost proud of them - they're something I did, they're mine. I guess that goes along with the feeling in control thing people have said before.

But, if you haven't self-harmed yourself before and are curious about it, please don't start. When I started, I was merely curious and thought after one time I would just quit. But now I crave it all the time... it's so hard to leave behind.

7. psycho8

psycho8 Well-Known Member

I cut because my life seems out of control and i started i think mainly for the sense of control, i think about it nearly all the time.

I don't have any scars yet from cutting but right from when i was little i was always fascinated with scars and would pick at any scabs i had to try and turn them into scars, only a few of them actually became scars but i still feel sort of proud when i look at them

I get cravings whenever i'm annoyed or stressed

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Actually I have sort of self-harmed before. A few years back, I had an ugly wort on my hand and I had to get rid of it. So I applied the wort remover, which helped, but then I used my scalpel to help cut it off. It was painful, but it had to be done.

9. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Uh. That's not self harm, that was for your health, you could've always gone to the doctor, too.

10. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

i find the pain fantastic....and i think i am addicted to the pain...but i use it mostly so i have something i can connect my emotions and feelings to..

11. feel the rain

feel the rain Active Member

part of me enjoys the pain while another part hates it. its the same with the blood and scars. i think i am addicted to the pain a little but mainly i do it as a sort of outlet for the emotional pain that i feel even if it isnt that severe i just sort of got into a routine and i found i liked it

12. geolab101

geolab101 Well-Known Member

for me it was either to keep myself from feeling completely nihilistic and empty. or to distract myself from painful reality, if only for a while. i've only really self harmed 4 times and as it has gone along i've hurt myself more and more each time.

so in one sense to get the same 'high' you need to do more. that is one thing i find in common with people who are addicted to drugs, yet self harming is still different.

besides it could also be classified as an adrenaline addiction. it depends upon how the person uses it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.