isn't it funny how...........

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Alexpt2, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

You can freely make derogatory comments about any group of people on this forum except woman. I've read numerous threads on here that are still open containing hate speech about men, blacks, jews, muslims, homosexuals, ect...

But as soon as someone talks some shit about woman the thread gets locked. I allready know why that is..........its cause all the admins on here are woman.

btw, i'm not condoning hate speech against woman, just pointing out the double standard and the fact that this forum caters to a select group of people.

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I don't understand how you could say that! I've only been here for 3-4 weeks and have seen many people have their sigs altered, locked out, moderated, etc...and they were talking about blacks, jews and homosexuals.

Your statement just isn't true. As far as whether or not mostly women are the adimns., that may be true...I don't know. But it doesn't seem to matter; they have been fair as far as I can tell.

3. Alexpt2

you've only been here 3-4 weeks, thata how you can say that.Obviously you arent reading the same threads as me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I agree to an extent. This thread, for instance, was very upsetting to many men, but was it closed? No. Why? Because men are by default supposed to be able to handle all kinds of shit that is thrown at them. Amusingly, when some in this now closed thread talked about how most women want strong men that will dominate them, they were shunned, yet men are supposed to be able to take shit like that in the first thread I linked to. Why? Because men are supposed to be stronger. I am not saying I disagree with that because I don't, but it is hypocritical if there is a default gender separation if it is considered immoral for such to be present. Either one admits that men and women aren't and can never be equal, or you act in accordance to a supposed equality between men and women.

5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

TO ALEXPT2:

Can you handle simple math? Take a look: I average 25 posts a week or more and you (in your 9 months) average less than 10 a week. I've probably read more posts/threads than you have already and like I said, I've already seen that several people have had their prvileges modified for the reasons you complain about. So to reiterate: in just a short period of time, I've seen action taken for the reasons you say have not. Why not get one of the admins. to show you some proof. I don't have the authority to do so or I would.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Mods...of which there are men and women, usually just close the threads people report. Maybe members aren't complaining about other threads. Either way, it's not helpful for people struggling against suicide to have to hear shit about a demographic they may belong to.

Speaking your mind is fine, but like in the real world, you don't get to enjoy that right over the rights of others who may be unfairly threatened or harassed by those views. Particularly, and specifically *cause I don't want to start discussing freedom of speech :biggrin:* in regards to opinions about another race, gender, orsexual preference.

If you don't like a thread, report it to a mod and complain.

7. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Please take this into account. In most of our mental states, we are equal. Men, women, children, seniors, .. these titles, in my opinon don't exsist. They are people, and are just as important as anyone else. Their problems, their opinons, everything.

In reality, women have had, and are still getting the shit end of the stick. Please don't think because if you live in a western society that this isn't the case. The fact is, on the outside, yes, we are equal. But when you get down to some social gatherings, some families, some work places, there is a strong distinction between the two. I see it everyday. And believe me, there are more women assaulted than men.

Granted, please don't take offence to this, but if 100 women were being assualted and 1 man was being assaulted, I would treat the comments to both with a great deal and equal respect for both.

Look, sometimes things don't work out equal. You're talking about situations being inturpretted by many different people who take things differently. And every situation presents itself differently and it's hard to be able to distinguish when they cross boundaries. It's not going to be perfect, but don't let it get to you. If you see something that in that moment looks like it should be stopped, then send a message to a moderator or admin. Don't be too hasty too with that. My thoughts

8. Alexpt2

okay wait.......are you fuckin serious with this?????????

simple math huh? you've been here a few weeks and you claim to have read more threads than me? Just cause i don't post often doesnt mean i'm not here and reading posts.
    The fact that you even claimed to have read more than me fuckin funny.

simple math.yeah right, whatever dipshit!

9. helena

helena Staff Alumni

that's right, there are also threads wee mods delete because they turn into flaming,or are just completely agressive and disrespectfull and runnig aorund in circles, against the rules etc, etc....

"you've only been here 3-4 weeks, thata how you can say that.Obviously you arent reading the same threads as me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".... doesn't mean that person didn't take the time to look at other threads and observe the general policy of the site

"Either one admits that men and women aren't and can never be equal, or you act in accordance to a supposed equality between men and women"
    I admit!!!!!
    there would be a lot of kids living on the street or on homes, from the broken families where mosytly the STRONG men wont became single parent of a couple of kids!!

10. Alexpt2

What the fuck does that even mean??? I never even said i had a problem with any threads, just a problem with the obvious favoritism for certain people that goes on here.

11. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

12. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

My point was that some people found threads attacking women as offensive and they were reported. And obviously an equal number of people didn't find other threads as offensive.

I don't think there has been favoritism. :laugh: I really don't.

13. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I love talking to angry people like yourself who continue to simply use foul language as a way to try and get back at someone when they can't make a sensible argument. Again, the proof is that I have seen several people be moderated, had their sigs modified, been locked out, etc...for the reasons you say they are not. Why can't you just accept the fact that you are wrong in this instance and move on? One example...someone posted an "idiot list in there sig" and I believe all were men (or most anyway). It was removed!! So if you've been reading the threads as you say you have, you should know who it is and why.

14. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

......i think the mods and admins do a great job here. and this site helps me very much.

personally i am against all forms of censorship.....but i do think that certain threads should be contained, perhaps, in certain sections - with possibly a warning listed. it is the same on my television or in my library. i want access to all materials, except illegal things. i have a choice whether or not to read or post in a thread that is offensive.

and personally - disclaimer here - MY OPINION ONLY - i dislike gender bashing in general. men and women are different yet equal. we each bring a set of characteristics to the table - and one is no better or worse than the other.

it is not the gender, but rather the character of a person - that matters.

AND....i'd like to believe that on s.f. we can enjoy lively debate - and still all get along. i love my friends here. just sayin.

15. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Quote of one of the admins:
    "this forum is not about freedom, but about support"

or in other words, keep sending virtual hugs and shut up:laugh:

16. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

Since the moderators won't do their job and attempt to maintain the peace, I will.

Alexpt2 and and shades, calm down.

Shades, post-count rate doesn't really count for much. Every user experiences an initial burst of posts in their first month (Which you're still in), which usually tapers off as the forum becomes more and more mundane to them. Also, some users don't post a lot, but instead choose to post quality over quantity. It's wise to give someone who has 9 months more experience then you, the benefit of the doubt.

That being said, Alexpt2, cursing gets you absolutely nowhere. If you don't believe what shades is saying, ask him to present you with the evidence. If Shades has seen topics that have been closed, then he should be able to present you with the topics that he believes are good examples of what he's claiming.

Moving on, I don't know if this occurs on the forum: I don't particularly care about anyone's power-trip on the intertubes. However, in real life, gender bias exists everywhere. Women and men are both hyper-sexualized, given different responsibilities, and abused in relationships, all tit-for-tat. Women have to compete with Britney Spears and Kate Beckinsdale (I'm just naming off random celebrities), men have to compete with Brad Pitt and Justin Timberlake. Men are forced to sign up for selective service/the draft/conscription in most countries, women are usually at a higher rate for prostitution. Some women are sometimes physically, verbally, and sexually abused, and guess what: Some men are sometimes physically, verbally, and sexually abused.

Life's unfair, and people will naturally assume gender roles.

But guess what?

Those of us who live in free, Western nations have the choice not to follow the gender roles if we do not want too.

17. shades

shades Staff Alumni

AETERNA: Point well made and taken. Moving on!

Sorry Aeterna, but my logic center kicked in and I have to edit my statement. I understand your point in general about giving someone who's been here much longer the benefit of the doubt. But 1) I just gave an example to prove that what Alexcpt2 posted is just not true at this point in time, and 2) If someone who has been here longer than me says 'the sky is red', I'm not going to sit back and say that they must be right because they have been here longer. I'm going to say "there is something wrong with your statement and here's why", which is what I did.

18. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

I beg to differ: you provided colloquial stories of what happened. You didn't offer concrete examples such as "User X had Y, staff member Z did A by removing Y, therefore offense B was rectified by solution C."

If someone tells you "The sky is red", and you say, "The sky is blue, and I know this because I've seen it", then you've got the same validity as the person saying "The sky is red".

You may have seen the opposite, and that's fine. However, it does not invalidate what the other person says until you bring the evidence to bear. The truth is impossible to discern until evidence is brought in to the equation.

19. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Aeterna: I gave an example in post #13. Now, I'll include further data: Party 'A', eliminated the sig of party 'B', due to comments made abouts parties 'C,D,E,and F'. If I'm allowed to give out the names of the parties involved, then I will do so in a pm to you and to Alex with the dates etc...! It was a male, using name-calling to criticize other males.

Also, the sky is blue! It can be proven scientifically as the reflection of light off of the athmosphere producing this color. Anybody who sees the sky as red would be considered "color-blind" by almost the entire global community... Just as they are 'blind' to the factual info. I posted earlier and now for the 3rd time.

20. Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster Forum Buddy SF Supporter

People let it go!

I argee with summer.rain, its a support forum.

I read alot and yeah sometimes I feel offended by what other people write on here, but you cant control what other people write.

So instead of pointing fingers to anybody, try to set a good example yourself and try to prevent that people are getting hurt by your post or whatever you write on here.
    And hope other will follow that example, which in general people really do on here

yes and some people are bitter, I bet they have there reasons, just let it go..
    Most people on here are awesome.. and those people are male, female, black, white, fat, pretty, rich, poor etc, and the thing they have in common is a caring heart, look at that for once..

yes this discussion is pissing me off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.