isolation and boredom making things worse

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by morning rush, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think that isolation and boredom make my depression worse. And yet I don't seem to have the energy to go out. I don't know how to break it. I mean I try. I see a therapist every two weeks. I try to get involve with things in my building, like meetings and suppers and artistic stuff. Or with an organization where my therapist is from. Like I went to a nutrition information session. I try to eat healthy, count calories etc...

but tonight I'm just down...
  2. MisterBGone

Try not to get too discouraged by your depressed moods and lack of energy or motivation, as that is par for the course with this disease. It sounds to me like you've put fourth a great effort in trying to break the cycle of isolating--it just takes time-& quite frankly isn't that easy....especially if you struggle to find something constructive to do on a regular basis. I'm wondering if you have any hobbies or activities that you used to do, but no longer do, because you don't feel good enough to do them? Maybe seeing if you could get back into one of those things might make you happy and actually be fun? I just know from my experiences alone that depression is an everyday battle, and that the path to recovery (if there is such anything?) is rarely a straight one: in other words, there are setbacks and relapses and ups as well as downs. It's all part of the normalcy of the illness. Give yourself some credit. You're fighting. And that is a good thing! -Peace.
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

thanks :) you're right...somedays I'm just down more than usual...I'm trying new hobbies like sowing and taking pictures....taking pictures forces me to go out into nature so that helps a bit although I don't always do....
  4. bigloozer

bigloozer Member

Hi Morningrush,
    I feel like you, I exist. I go to work because I HAVE to. Other than that I sit at home. I have just had three days off which is rare on our rotating roster. I have so much I could do but have sat here in a funk, I havent even got dressed, I just feel isolated and uncared for even by me. and I hate my life. mainly because I dont have the motivation or will to change it. i wish i was gone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.