Israeli soldiers kill 10 pro-Palestinian activists

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Israeli commandos kill activists on flotilla bound for Gaza

Ankara calls incident unacceptable as 10 members of aid convoy are killed during storming of Turkish ship in international waters
    * Harriet Sherwood in Ashdod
    * guardian.co.uk, Monday 31 May 2010 10.26 BST

At least 10 pro-Palestinian activists were killed and dozens injured in a battle at sea with Israeli naval commandos today, sparking an international diplomatic crisis and the prospect of angry demonstrations across Israel, the Palestinian territories, Turkey and beyond.

Dozens of activists injured during the storming of a Gaza aid flotilla were ferried to hospitals in Tel Aviv, Haifa and Ashkelon. The Israeli military said at least five of its personnel were also injured, at least one seriously.

The incident engulfed Israel in a war of words with its ally Turkey, with whom relations were already stained following the Israelis three-week military assault on the Gaza Strip in 2008-9. Today's deaths and injuries were condemned by the UN, EU and other countries.

The Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, described the storming of the flotilla as a "massacre". The Palestinian chief negotiator, Saeb Erekat, described it as a "war crime".

Turkey, Spain and Greece demanded explanations from the Israeli ambassadors to their countries. Turkish police were sent to the residence of the Israeli ambassador in Ankara, which was surrounded by demonstrators. Nine of the dead activists were thought to be Turkish nationals.

Israel swiftly mounted a PR offensive to set out its version of events. The navy had promised to exercise restraint in dealing with the flotilla, and the bloodshed involved in the operation will inevitably leave Israel open to charges of excessive force.

The assault began at 4.30am in international waters, about 60 miles from the coast of Gaza where the convoy was heading to deliver its cargo of aid.

According to a spokeswoman for Israel Defence Forces (IDF), Avital Leibovich, officers aboard its warships gave the activists several warnings before boarding the Turkish ferry, the Mavi Marmara.

"We found ourselves in the middle of a lynching," she told reporters in the Israeli port of Ashdod. Around 10 activists attacked commandos, she said, relieving them of their pistols.

"We didn't look for confrontation but it was a massive attack," she said. "What happened was a last resort."

It was impossible to contact protesters on the ships, but the Free Gaza Movement, one of the organisers of the flotilla, said the IDF had started the violence, firing as soon as they boarded the ship.

At least one of the six boats in the flotilla arrived at lunchtime in Ashdod, 23-miles north of Gaza City. The port was closed to reporters, who took up position on a hill overlooking it.

Activists were expected to be processed in a large white tent on the quayside, where they would be offered the choice of immediate deportation to their country of origin or going through the lengthy process of the Israeli courts system.

The Israeli authorities gave no details of the injuries suffered by activists. It confirmed that 10 were dead, although government sources suggested the figure could be as high as 19. It claimed that one of its injured troops had suffered gunshot wounds and another had been stabbed.

Sheikh Raed Salah, the leader of the northern branch of the Islamic Movement, an influential organisation among Arab citizens of Israel, who was on board the Mavi Mamara, was also injured. There are conflicting reports as to the seriousness of his injuries.

The Swedish author Henning Mankell was on board one of the ships, which left Cyprus yesterday and had been due to arrive in Gaza today. The flotilla, which had been delayed by several days, was carrying around 650 activists and 10,000 tonnes of aid, including medical supplies and construction materials. The aim was to break the Israeli blockade of Gaza, which has been rigorously enforced for the past three years.

Leibovich defended Israel's action in international waters, saying it was permissible when a country's security was threatened.

Israel was expected to advise its nationals in Turkey to leave the country for fear of reprisals. A luxury liner, Magic 1, was diverted from the Turkish coast to Cyprus.

Abbas said: "What Israel has committed on board the freedom flotilla was a massacre." He declared three days of official mourning for the dead.

Israeli police cancelled leave and the army was on high alert, saying it feared possible rocket attacks from Islamist militants in Gaza and southern Lebanon.

Israel's deputy foreign minister, Danny Ayalon, described the activists as allies of Hamas and al-Qaida, claiming they would have opened an arms smuggling route to Gaza if they had been permitted to land there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/31/israel-kills-activists-flotilla-gaza

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  2. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Why is Israel allowed to do whatever it wants, from occupying a people for fifty years, to taking land, bulldozing homes, to the worst human rights abuses , to slaughtering civilians and even bombing a UN school etc

So because of the holocaust they don't even have to try to abide by some form of international law?

This will probably only hurt Israel in the end.
    This is way out of control.

Also, why do many Muslims have such a problem with America. Simple, our support for Israel.

That support should be conditional IMO...... Follow international law and stop making the rest of the world hate us.

I wonder how much AIPAC had to do with our going into Iraq

+++++++++++++++++++++

Update:

According to Al Jazeera, there are 19 dead and 60 injured

"At least 19 people were killed and dozens injured when troops intercepted the convoy of ships dubbed the Freedom Flotilla early on Monday, Israeli radio reported."

"Hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists, including a Nobel laureate and several European legislators, were with the flotilla, aiming to reach Gaza in defiance of an Israeli embargo.

The convoy came from the UK, Ireland, Algeria, Kuwait, Greece and Turkey, and was comprised of about 700 people from 50 nationalities."

Here is up to the minute coverage on whats going on. The whole world is mad about this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2010/may/31/israel-troops-gaza-ships

Harriet Sherwood, the Guardian's Jerusalem correspondent, has been speaking to the relative of one of the Britons in the flotilla.

Sandra Law, the mother of Alex Harrison, a 31-year-old British woman who was on board the Challenger 1, claimed that the Foreign Office had "totally refused" to provide information or assistance to her family.

"They were obstructive to say the least," said Law, 63, from Croydon. "We rang them last night to say the flotilla was being threatened by the Israeli navy. They totally refused to help us."

She added that the British Embassy in Tel Aviv "were also useless."
    "I'm extremely worried about Alex," she told the Guardian. "We have no idea what has happened to her. But she's an experienced human rights defender and very level headed.

"I am really concerned that our government won't speak out over Israel. They have said that human rights is at the heart of their foreign policy. Well, you tell me."

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  3. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

i support israel. im sure they were lookimg for weapons.

4. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

IMHO, blatant human rights violations and acts of aggression actually hurt Israel.

How can being viewed as war criminals help?

5. Prinnctopher's Belt

I say to free Palestine and fuck Israel. And no I don't care about anyone else's opinion to the contrary.

Israel has been terrorizing people for long enough, and it's time to end it. It's time for people to stop sucking up to them and stop aiding them, and stop giving them unconditional support when they continue to subjugate an entire nation's population illegally and violating numerous laws. They are completely out of control.

6. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

theyll get away with as usual.
    isreal seems to be quite a disgracefull nation,but sadly people seem ok with that.

7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Israel has certainly become the neighborhood bully. I never gave a shit about Israel before, and now I give less than one shit. This time, the Zionists should return to New Jersey.

:canucks:

8. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Oh of course! The jews terrorized the shit out of the nazis, the romans, et. al., ad nauseum. A people that have been persecuted from the beginning of recorded history.

So they built up a nation from a desert and have been attempting to protect that tiny piece of dirt since 1948. So of course they should allow weapons to be smuggled into Gaza and/or the West Bank and allow the continuous bombardment of their cities and people.

There are two sides to this issue, not one!

Maybe you're the one who should get "fucked"!

9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Oh please with that same old "we're the victims!" scratched record. The Israelis have been doing to the Palestinian people what the Nazis did to them. And they did not turn a desert into their land; they went there and took land that already belonged to a nation of people which was MIXED religions, Christians Jews AND Muslims altogether. They went there, took the land, and then afterward, began an apartheid, limited everything from the Palestinians including access to clean water and other resources, tore down their olive trees, homes, hospitals, schools, killed numerous people there beyond what is "necessary", and you believe this is justice? NO.

You don't even question WHY there has been so much turmoil in response from the people in West Bank and Gaza for so many decades, do you? Because of what Israel has done to them; it was a dealbreaker the moment they killed the first baby, and did it solely for the lulz.

There ARE two sides to the issue, and until you get your face out of what the US television is telling you only from the side of the "poor Jews" then you will NEVER know the other side of the story.

10. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Isreal gets away with a lot on the simple basis that they have the Americans behind them. Sure there are two sides to every story. I for one hope Isreal Is never allowed to join the EU, (if you believe certain papers this is their wish).

They have an atrocious human rights record, and they are refusing the people in the west bank basic human rights.

I read with great humour people saying well they bomb them etc okay but remember "two wrongs do not make a right"

Shades: to your comments I think quite frankly are disappointing an childish if you cannot debate a point go sit in the corner and let the big kids have the grown up discussion. Is it not the basic right of a democracy to discuss what is happening without being told to get fkd?

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Oh and FYI If Israel is so innocent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4883442.stm

11. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

How dumb does one have to be too attack a group of heavily armed elite commandos with sticks and pipes and not expect to get shot.

12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

13. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

LOL no I am not, in 2003 when we invaded Iraqi I walked out of class at college and demonstrated against the war, there are some things I believe in the world that are worth fighting for, remember the saying

"even if you are in a majority of one the truth is still the truth

What we are forgetting is there are hundreds thousands of innocent people children who have done nothing wrong but be born in the wrong time and place.

Religion is supposed to give mankind faith, it is supposed to bring people together. Instead what do we do. We fight over it we kill each other we are blinded by belief- what good does that do, nothing.

I am not asking for a group hug here, a subject like this is going to get people going. I just want people to step back and think okay there are two sides to this.

The link I put up earlier please read a journalist from my home county was shot by Israeli police, when he was wearing a journalist vest and waving a white flag, he had gone there to record the plight of children suffering.

He left a family, now tell me where is the justice?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
  14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

No, I agree with you 100%. You're fighting for the good guy side. Wars are unnecessary and evil and I'm proud of you standing up and walking out of your class to demonstrate the war. Good for you.

Israel is responsible for some horrific war crimes and there's something not quite right about the way they continue to get away with it.

15. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Only one nation can stand up against Israel and that is the US, never going to happen though, the jews have a massive say in the US and Israel is effectively a product of the jewish control of the US government.

That may all be controversial but there you have it.

Winston Churchill had the jews all banged up in camps in cyprus after the 2nd world war to control immigration and we now have no power over the UN's Israel.

16. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

of course they were

but the world if foaming at the mouth anti-semites, and they are cowards

<Mod edit:IrishDoll,Inappropriate>

The world is basically telling the Arabs they hope they drive the Israelis to the sea

and it may happen

I just hope Israel remembers how cruel this world has been to them

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
  17. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

it was a turkish ship, the muslim ally of israel, not anymore though ey

as always israel will get away with crossing the line unessesarily in exchange for some bad publicity, thankfully turkey will tell israel to run and jump now.

Jumping on a ship in international waters, classy.

18. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

and I am fully aware Israel lost an ally

the Islamic terrorists played this perfectly

Put Israel in a no win situation

But the world is full of cowards and appeasers so they will sympathize with the Muslims

just like the Nazis, the world was appeasing and "sympathetic" to the Nazis, but after they were done with the Jews, they realized how evil they are

Just hope the Muslims do not come after you when they are done with the Jews

I know the world is glad Israel is there taking the punches from the Muslims

But one day the Muslims will be done with them

19. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Should have took it up with the flag owners of the ship, Turkey, or waited until they were in Israel's waters as international law states

20. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

The response thus far from western Governments response to both the cloned passports and now this blatant agressive attacking of a humanitarian flotilla is totally unacceptable, they don't go anywhere near enough to condemning these actions. Israel has a long and murky history of state sponsored assassination, genocide, illegal land grabs and withholding humanitarian aid. In the west, we are all being conditioned to view the likes of Iran and Syria as being dangerous to world peace, but isn't Israel already guilty of this, after all they are already a nuclear power with a history of flouting international law. You would have thought that the zionists would have learnt from the persecution that jews faced in ww2, yet they are operating a fascist state with the persecution of the palestinian nation. Jewish lobbyists work harder than any other type of lobbyists to spread there heavily biased propaganda within western governments.

The once persecuted have now become the persecutors, the sooner somone drops a very big bomb on Israel, the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.