Issues with my Parents

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Thunderbird, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderbird

    Thunderbird Member

    Hi. It's been over 5 months since I've stopped being depressed, which is great! I feel happy, I want to live, and I am capable of dealing with any painful memories. I still have issues though, mainly with my parents.

    My parents have always had a toxic affect on me, like constantly telling me, I'm worthless, that I have no friends, etc. This all became worse when they found out that I was suicidal, and harming myself. Eventually, I had just had enough of them and left to live with my aunt and my very young cousins. I was 17 at the time. My parents let me take a little bit of my stuff with me, but when I went to get the rest, they wouldn't let me get it, they wouldn't even let me in the house, even though they were constantly texting me about how much they "miss" me, and that they wish I'd come home. I've turned 18, and I really need the stuff that they are holding hostage. They have the majority of my identification, which means that I can't complete my driving courses or even prove that I am who I say I am, and they have all of my money, and musical instruments, and I just don't know what to do. I've searched online about this kind of thing, but because the legal system where I live (Quebec, Canada) is different than in the States, so I have no idea what I can do, and whether or not I can even get my stuff back.
  2. Brian777

    Brian777 Safety and Support SF Artist SF Supporter

    Hi Thunderbird, I'm not sure about the legalities of this situation. Have you spoken with your parents as to why they're not letting you have your things? Especially the identification. I'm sure they're upset that you chose not to live with them, however keeping your identification is unacceptable. I hope you can resolve this and eventually make peace with your family. Take care
  3. JmpMster

    JmpMster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

    You mention the legal system different where you live- are you in Canada and they are in states? Or all are in Canada? For Stares i have some additional ideas....

    Regardless , a phone call to either police or social services to explain situation should get you answers on your legal rights to get property that you claim as yours, money if can show was in fact earned by you /yours, and access to enough forms of ID's to get your own duplicates. While not convenient, it is not uncommon to have all ID's lost or held hostage so there are ways to remedy the situation - but to find the best way talk to police and to social services agencies for a start. If the first person you speak to at a place cannot provide and answer keep trying until you find somebody willing to actually help instead of just to lazy to bother researching /helping.
    betteroffunknown likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.