It all comes down to this...

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by RedSox1987, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedSox1987

RedSox1987 Member

I have been in a battle with severe anxiety (agoraphobia, GAD, emetophobia, ect), severe panic disorder, and depression. This has got worse over the years, and now I'm in a steady decline. I am at the point I cannot continue with this life. I know most people say suicide isn't the answer, but when you try everything else, it can be the only option left. I have no insurance and can't afford to see doctors and pay for prescriptions out of pocket. I called the suicide hotline and they did nothing for me. They basically just told me to try borrowing money from someone, which isn't an option for me. I am in prison in my own body and can't do this anymore :( I'm not sure when or how I will do this, but know it has to be done.

I guess my question is does anyone have any advice that would be helpful to me?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this...It means a lot to me. Thanks!
  2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

hi. I am sorry things are so very hard for you. Often times ( not always) people on crisis lines can make things worse by their horriffic lack of sensitivity and common humanity.

Have you tried calling United way? I did get some very good leads from them. They are a good resource for referrals. The have a huge database of places agencies etc to turn to.

When I was filing for disability, I knew I did not have the strength or the ability to do it on my own. I had a lawyer. But he or his people were not going to help with applications etc. I kept thinking there must be someone who could help me with this. Some kind soul who works somewhere. I called united way. They gave me a bunch of places to call. No luck. I called united way again. This time I found someone who was much more resourceful. She gave me the name and phone number of a few places. One of which did provide the service I was looking for. It made all the difference in the world.

When you do call, just make sure you ask the person if they are the united way. Sometimes ( I saw it once in the seattle WA area) the crisis line and united way line can get interwoven. Although I think there is even a way to avoid that. As long as you know to ask when you call. Just ask if this is the united way. Usually they can be reached by calling 211. Tell them you are looking for leads re how you can get help resources. Tell them your circumstances. I hope that helps in some way. If that doesnt work, I can give you another suggestion. Dont give up. okay? if you can, and want to, please keep posting. this is a good community. I am glad you posted !!
  3. RedSox1987

RedSox1987 Member

Thanks for the kind words Flowers :) I actually haven't tried United Way but I will call then ASAP to see if they can be of any help. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!!
  4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Redsox, please do let me know what they say ( if thats okay with you). And also please remember, I had to call twice to get a great lead for help. :hug:
  5. RedSox1987

RedSox1987 Member

Hi Flowers,
    So I called 3 different numbers for United Way in my area. One of them just told me to call a different number! The other 2 basically told me they can help set me up with some affordable insurance to get the help I need, but that's about it. And affordable to them is way more expensive than I can afford :( Oh well, I guess I am just out of options...

Thanks so much for your time and helping me out :/
  6. pisces1

pisces1 Well-Known Member

Are there any mental health clinics were you are? I was able to get free meds and a therapist at one time. I know personally how hard it is to find help and resources . Kinda in the same boat you are but for diffrent reasons. I hope you find the help you need.
  7. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I am really sorry. They are supposed to help.

Can you please try calling your local NAMI to see what ideas they might have?

Quote from their website: "NAMI is the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. NAMI advocates for access to services, treatment, support and research. NAMI is steadfast in its commitment to raising awareness and building a community for hope for all those in need"

Please do not give up even though it is so hard to keep trying when you come up against all these cruel brick walls. :hug:
  8. RedSox1987

RedSox1987 Member

Thanks to the both of you :) I have looked into NAMI but unfortunately they have no service near me :( I have also called both the mental help facilities in my area but even with my anxiety and depression being so severe, there is nothing I can do except either buy insurance or pay the bill. I spoke with a state assistance program and they offered me a low income insurance plan that is the best I can get. It's almost $200 a month with a $6,000 deductible!!! From all the research and calls I've made, I have come to the conclusion that there really isn't any more I can do. I am sooo physically and mentally tired and my anxiety is beyond bearable...I've fought so long and tried everything possible idea without the help I need. I think the hardest part of fighting is giving up but when that's your last option.......

Thanks so much for all your help...It's been greatly appreciated and nice to talk with you Flowers and Pisces :)
  9. OldGuy

OldGuy Active Member

Are you in the US. If you have limited income you should be able to get insurance free or almost free though the Affordable Car Act (ACA) aka Obamacare.

Note (Marketplace (marketplace plans are available from or state equivalents like open enrollment for 2014 ends March 31, 2014. Open enrollment for 2015 will be from November 15, 2014 to January 15, 2015.). In Calif. if you enroll and pay the premium by the 15th of the month your coverage begins on the 1st day of the next month. (this only thru for January thru March).

All Marketplace insurance plans cover mental health and substance abuse services as an essential health benefit and Marketplace plans can’t deny you coverage or charge you more just because you have a pre-existing condition. This includes mental health and substance use disorder conditions.

Coverage for treatment of pre-existing conditions begins as soon as your Marketplace coverage is in effect. There’s no waiting period for coverage of these services.

Check out Medicaid in your state. In California a single person with an income of less than about $16,000 is eligible.
  10. RedSox1987

RedSox1987 Member

Yes, I checked the Affordable Care Act plans and the cheapest I am eligible is way more than I can afford. I also am not eligible for Medicare until August 2014...And no state insurance available :(
  11. OldGuy

OldGuy Active Member

I don't know if this group in in your area. They been very helpful to me and group members can be a source of resources.

DBSA (Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance) They support people with mental health issues other than depression and bipolar as well. URL=""][/URL]
  12. flowers

flowers Senior Member

maybe next you could try this. Its a free/low cost health clinic finder
    will try to not give up. Because I know how hard it is to find these things for oneself. I am sorry it is so hard.

I do know of a way you can download a prescription drug discount card. It is legal and above board. its called needymeds. And I have used it with great success. I just looked up the website. They say they have free clinics
    I have just downloaded their card for help with presriptions I present the card when I have to, to the pharmacy. And they give me the discount that needymeds allows
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  13. RedSox1987

RedSox1987 Member

Thanks again guys, you have provided me a wealth of information. I have checked all the links and made some calls, and once again at a dead end. The only low cost clinic in my area doesn't provide mental health care. And the discount prescription cards I looked into, don't cover the prescriptions that I require :(

The state says I can get Medicare in 8 months, but unfortunately that's not an option for me...Again it seems like I'm down to one last option again......

Thank you so much for all your help...It is greatly appreciated and nice to talk with you :)
  14. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I am sorry you keep running into people saying no. How horrible that our society does this to people. Just curious why medicare is not an option for you. Other than its an 8 month wait and you need help now.
  15. RedSox1987

RedSox1987 Member

I am on disability right now and they said I'm not eligable for Medicare until 2 years from my disability start date (which is 8 months from now). As far as state insurance, the only people eligible are people with children...Not me :(
  16. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I get my medication prescribed by my regular MD. So perhaps the doctor at the low cost clinic can prescribe for you. And perhaps since they are a low cost clinic they will have information re how you can get help paying for the medications you are on. It might be worth a try. Many MDs will write scripts for psychiatric medications. Especially I would think a low cost clinic would prescribe, if there are no psychiatrists available there.

Re the medicare that kicks in 8 months from now, have you checked out QMB to see if you qualify?
  17. RedSox1987

RedSox1987 Member

What is QMB?

As far as the low cost clinic their website has a list of things they don't do. 2 of those include treating mental health and prescribing medications. They pretty much deal with small things...
  18. hatethislife

hatethislife Member

there is no hope and no one will help its all about money.
  19. flowers

flowers Senior Member

if you do a search of it you will find much information about it. I am hoping you will somewhere somehow find what you need soon
  20. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

the assistance programs are a joke for some population of people. We're too poor to afford this but we make too much money for free help. The system is just going to get worse. I personally think you can qualify for disability condition due to mental issues if you applied and that might get medicaid in earlier.

I know each state personally have office of rehabilitation services, they do provide free services just have to know where your nearest office is and contact them for an appointment/intake. its free.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.