It doesn't get better

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by suicidal maniac, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

Just to let you know it doesn't get better, all the people who say it does are lying.
  2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I've found the opposite - things can turn around, slowly but surely - and there are lows in that period too, but slowly things can turn around.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  3. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

getting over depression and suicidal feelings is a very long road and a hard one at that.
    there will be highs and lows, times when you feel almost normal and times when you just want to give up.
    and sometimes you just don't get over it but you find a way to live with it and control how you feel and how it effects others around you, call it a happy medium where you can live with your feelings .

its just one day at a time.
  4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I made the decision last night during a very bad time, that I want to try atleast. I don't know if I can or if I will ever be able to let go of my suicidal feelings. But I do know that there are truly good ppl here and I want to give them the chance to give me the chance. I'm the last one to say it gets better. But gotta try and see for myself. Care to join me? Dare ya. Double dare ya lol. Hold on and keep posting and let others try to see if it is possible for you. Sure we might fail but it beats sitting here waiting for another suicidal bout.
  5. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Hear, hear.

There's too much easy encouragement here, and not enough honesty. My suicidal depression has gone on for three decades. No end in sight, except for the one I don't have the guts to take.
  6. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Surely the point of a forum like this, that does all to protect anonymity (not letting members display themselves as their avatars, recommend not to put MSN addresses in posts / signatures, and to PM it etc), is one where you can be honest?

I'd say the incredible majority of these posts here are honest.
    This is a support forum - we support each other.. not discourage each other and say how it can't get better, how they're destined to be like this forever, because that simply isn't true.
  7. nedflanders

Oh, good grief. If y'all truly cared about anonymity, you wouldn't have Google recording and indexing everything everyone says here for posterity.

Sigh. It most certainly is true in some cases. By discouraging people who offer counterexamples to your smiling happy testimonies, you create an atmosphere of unjustified hope. And when that hope is disappointed, I'd imagine that it could make things even worse.
  8. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

How else then are you meant to find this forum through a search engine in the first place?
  9. Invictus

Invictus Member

I must admit I am sometimes put off thsi forum by reading comments that "it will get better" and you "can get through this". Well, I dont think that is the case for a lot of people. It really does depend what you have to live for and that depends on each person. It seems that we are encouraged to live for livings sake and I vehemently disagree with that.

If someone has an issue that can be overcome, then yes support them, but there are others like me with no reason to live and things will not get better and telling me that they will will not help anything.

Sometimes I think it would be better to encourage people simply to bide their time and to help them make life easier until the time comes for them to end it with the least impact on those immmediately close to them.
  10. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Fair enough. With the bit I've put in bold though, this forum is pro-life, and if we did as you suggested, we'd effectively be allowing suicide, and that isn't in this forum's philosophy, nor is it legal to do.
  11. nedflanders

So bringing in traffic is more important than respecting peoples' privacy?

And in terms of bringing in traffic, you could just have Google index a descriptive home page, and have it ignore the text of what people write here.

If that makes your Google page rank drop too much, you could always take some of the money from the Google ads you host and pay for a "sponsored result."

I know that's a lot to ask from a site that looks like it's run on a shoestring, but if you can't be bothered, at least don't get all huffy about respecting people's privacy.
  12. Invictus

Invictus Member

I understand that. Maybe I need to find another forum for what I need. Will still keep on reading the posts on this site though, as I do get something from it.

Point taken though.
  13. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I think you're actually reading a lot into that, where there's nothing to be read..
    Naturally, privacy is the main concern here. As I said, we have measures to protect privacy here: we've made it so the search bots for Google, MSN etc, can't view profiles, so can't gleam info from there. What you post though, is archived by them, as is everything in the public domain in the internet - we're not different to anything else in that regard.

If you actually look, I've not got huffy about respecting people's privacy - simply stated it how it is here.

Bringing in traffic isn't the primary purpose of this site, regardless of what you think. As you can see, this is an active forum of 2,000 + active members, from a total membership of 11,000 odd. Does that mean we've used scams etc, to bring in traffic? No - it just means a lot of people are suicidal and depressed out there in the world.
  14. nedflanders

Sigh. But it's not public domain. If I remember the terms of service correctly, y'all claim copyright on everything posted here. So you're taking your content from its authors and handing it over to Google. I presume it's not for some nasty purpose. But it is, at best, still quite thoughtless of y'all.

The nature of the things that are posted here is obviously much more sensitive than the things that are posted on a Pokemon fan site. So your treatment of these posts cannot be guided by what other sites do.
  15. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Is it just me or are we going slightly off topic here?

If you have a problem with the way the site is run why not post in LTM and we can get back to listening to the OP?

16. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Righty dokey.

If you want to have a word with Robin, the founder and Senior Administrator e-mail him here:], if you want to talk about copyright issues, and why we index the site using bots.

EDIT: Apologies to everyone else for making these largely irrelevant posts compared to the original poster's [OP] post - please let's all now (myself included :tongue: ), get back to supporting and helping the OP :)
  17. aqaq22

aqaq22 Well-Known Member

Maniac, I've been feeling like my shrink is lieing to me to give me false hope.

At this juncture of my life Invictus, I honestly cannot come up with a better reason to live, than for livings sake. However pathetic, (or difficult) that is, the fact is what it is. :smile:

Those "platitudes", I belive? They are well intentioned, but, maybe more importantly, shows someone at least cares enough to respond. Completely honest? Who's to say not? LOL However... One of the things that I've notice is how people can know what the future holds, and how people can know what happens when we die. I can understand believing, and having an opinion on these topics (alot of us do), but there's an awful lot of people, that have an awful lot of surefire knowledge, about things that I find, well, you'd just have to be psychotic to believe that you know the truth about the future, and what happens when we die. These two babies are, imho, just about as unknown as it gets.

Maniac, understandably, and obviously, you do not, or can not, see your situation improving. And, it may not. You maybe right.

Situations do not always have to improve in order for the soul and spirit of someone to "get better".. Sometimes we toss these sayings around, imho, without defining what they mean. for my post..."better" means experiencing connection. (I do not know what your definition of better is maniac...let me know :i) !!

I'm just rambling out of boredom now. I hope you don't mind my takin' up your thread maniac... It's coincidental that you would post your feelings when, lately, I've been feeling the same way about the same subject. Thanks so much for sharing it maniac.
  18. Jacob91

Jacob91 Member

There is a famous quote - Nothing gets better - Nothing ever gets better.
    Later it is revised - that if perspective changes - Perspective becomes reality. It's what we make it, I guess.
  19. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

yes i agree with you totally; even though it is an altruistic cause, you do need money to host the website in the first place..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.