"it gets better"

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by yoshi, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoshi

yoshi New Member

people have been telling me that things will get better. and i've waited for over two decades. things have not gotten better. i've tried to make myself better. i've changed things. i've tried to be positive. i've tried to turn off my brain. i am 29 now, still single, still alone, still depressed, still suicidal. so, maybe it gets better for some people, just not for me.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Maybe a new approach new meds new therapist There are always new things to try okay please don't give up you are worth the fight and doors still can be opened okay hugs
  3. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

Since you mentioned 'single', i'd assume its a big part of your depression? There are other older members in the same boat as you, although that doesn't sound very hopeful does it? Have you tried online dating?

I recommend www.okcupid.com

Worth a shot. Good luck

4. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

Your story and what you've been told sounds really similar to mine, except I'm 24. But I don't see anything changing for me anytime soon. I'm not sure what your exact situation is, but I finished college last May and now I'm stuck in a dead end job and still single. I'm not sure how to help, but I can definitely empathasize. Hopefully someone else can provide some better insight.
  5. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Yoshi- I think you need a therapist that is going to help you to stop being suicidal and maybe you'll go on a date. I think there is a man out there for everyone you just have to keep looking and you're going to get better you should take our advice Yoshi we're here to help you and that is it we want you to get better
  6. DeAdwOrLD

DeAdwOrLD Well-Known Member

What are your plans? If you feel dispirited just wait a while then try doing something else; It's still early in the year. Something might change in a couple of months. You might meet someone, find another way to get on with your life. While there is life, you never know.

If you are serious about suicide dating might not be a solution. You need to be all right yourself before you can maintain a relationship. Besides, I wouldn't worry about anything like being with someone. It is very overrated. I should know.

Take care
  7. yoshi

yoshi New Member

i have been through the system and tried everything; medications, therapy, sunlight, kittens. i have "treatment resistant depression" and have been told that ECT should be my next option.

i can't even hide parts of myself well enough to go on a date. my misery is written all over my face, and i don't think i will ever be able to make it go away. u_u

i don't have parents or family, or friends, or anyone i can talk with. therapy is too expensive and often does not help me at all, but make me feel worse when everything is put into perspective. i have been through a lot, and i should be thankful that i have survived, but instead i find myself wanting (and sometimes attempting) to end everything because i can't feel anything but pain. :badday:
  8. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

Cheer up!

haha just kidding. I hate when people say that to me just like "it'll get better". I'm the same as you. It hasn't gotten better in the years I've been fighting it, so what makes people think it suddenly will? They probably just don't know what else to say because they can't relate.
  9. DeAdwOrLD

DeAdwOrLD Well-Known Member

What is the alternative to surviving? Death? I mean I agree with you about life. We probably have completely different lifestyles and everything but we share one thing: that living is ambigous at best and a painful at worse. You don't need ECT! That is crazy! You're depressed with life that is all that is 'wrong' Are you supposed to be happy always? Is it an illness not to be?

What are you going to do?.. Do you want to keep trying and make life more, well, tolerable? I think you should cos we'd like things to get better for you. It's why we read and care about you. Don't give up yet...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.