It really is a wonderful world.

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Huw, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAZqjsSZphE

Over the past couple of years I've been guiding a guy in the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons. The difference with these hikes is my friend is blind, blind from birth and has never seen the light of day. It's always a pleasure trying to explain things to him and in doing so it gives me a greater insight into the amazing complexity of this creation.

If you can think of nothing else to be grateful for. Be grateful for the ability to see.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is often that when we see what others have not we can see truly how much we have I think your friend is so lucky to have you

3. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

He's done a degree course, works full time and lives alone in a house that he pays a mortgage on.

There are ledges we've had to walk that were dangerous and one night as I was trying to sleep I remembered that there was a really narrow 3 inch ledge on the path we were taking the following day. There was a drop of a couple of hundred feet down to a brook.
    I had a choice of taking another path, but would have to insult my friend by doing so. He liked to do everything a sighted person could. I made a choice to do the route and I rationalized my decision by thinking if the last time I saw him was when he was falling to the ravine I'm sure he'd be smiling and I could tell his parents he died happy.
    We did the hike and the following day I told him how and why I'd made the choice and he was beaming with joy...so I joined in!

I'm the one who is most greatly blessed in having the opportunity to lead him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.