It's a Wonderful Life!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by shades, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

O.K., so sometimes, maybe alot of the time, it isn't. But this is the title of a movie, which now makes more sense to me than ever, having just lost my best friend to suicide.

The movie is about a man who attempts suicide, but is saved by a "guardian angel" and is given the opportunity to see what life would be like for those around him if he had been successful.

This is a very popular film from the 1940's (I think) and if anyone has a chance to see it (it's always on around Christmas) you should. It is not corny or outdated.

2. Emo_kitty

Emo_kitty Account Closed

yes i have seen this film loads of times it one of my favorite Christmas films

3. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

i havent seen it.. shall look it up..thanks.. x

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I've never seen this film. I will check it out :D

Thanks Shades :) :hug:

5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've noticed that it's always on around Christmas, but I've never watched it. I think I will this year.

6. kuika

kuika Active Member

Its my fav x-mas film (ironic given how i feel) but its a great story on how many people we touch and then they touch, sort of a 1940s pay it forward but done through a man who lives a life of quiet desperation as what he wants moves farther away and what he needs gets closer. (trying not to give too much away).

7. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

It is a classic One of my all time favorites. Is a holiday tradition for me and my family!

8. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I hate to correct you Mike, cause...I consider you a dear friend, but it't about "if he had been successful"....rather it's about what the world would be like if had never been born.

Cause at some point George Bailey (our hero) says Oh' I guess it would be better if I had never been born."

But still the jist of it is the same.

Sorry...I am nitpicking I know. :laugh:

9. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Oh Bill, my dear friend. You are so right...my bad! But as you pointed out, it still works and as Kuika mentioned it's more about how our lives touch so many others who then touch others and so on. Whether never been born or sussessful suicide, the theme still remains. Thanks for correcting that. Still a very uplifting movie in the end and as Christmas is just around the corner, I'm hoping that some who haven't seen it will do so.

10. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

I love this movie even if it isn't at all realistic.In the end he got through his crisis because people cared about him and saw that he was a good man (especially compared to the evil banker) and stood up for him.Angels and miracles aside..it was the real people who saved the day...and that could happen..I suppose.But yes,one of the best movies ever made.

11. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Something like that recently happened to me. :biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.