Its been 4 weeks today since my dog died

alice202

SF Supporter
I feel like part of me died with him. I was looking at some pictures of him from before he got sick, which was just 4-5 months ago. He was totally healthy and happy, a beautiful animal, so full of life. He was young for his age.
I feel like he would have lived much longer if not for the cancer. I needed him in my life, and he deserved more life. It just seems so unfair that he's gone. Unfair to me, unfair to him. Just senseless. Cancer is cruel.
I think about him every day and sometimes I just sit and cry. Now I really have nobody that loves me. No family, no close friends. A dog can go a long way to ease the loneliness, and now I don't even have that. The lockdown sure doesn't help.
Every now and then I run into one of my neighbors with dogs and I start to cry. I just miss him so much. It feels like I've lost part of my soul and I will never be the same.
There's nothing I can do.
Alice

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
❤🐾 hugs. Sorry for your loss.

It is not easy at all. No lie about it. My heart still gets yanked everytime I see a glimpse or a shadow of former pets in the past living in other animals when I encounter them. Pictures of them still jars me now and then. Still hurts everytime it hurts more with dogs than any other animal for me personally. Is there a way for you to pupsit someones dog (or even a cat?) for now just so you dont feel that alone anymore

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
i am so sorry for your loss @alice202 . losing a pet is a horrible experience. even the smallest things they do helps us get through the day. you will never be able to replace your dog but hopefully you will be able to open your heart again. when you feel you can start again please consider going to the shelter first to look. hopefully you can find a dog that needs your love as much as you need his. take care of yourself and remember we are here...mike....*hug*console*shake

4 weeks already? that went fast, didn't seem long since you first posted about your dog :( I'm so sorry, I've been through pet grief twice in recent years, I know your pain. It's unbearable isn't it. I found even walking past the pet food in the shop was incredibly difficult, I had to hold back tears. Pets are great company aren't they, they never leave your side and they always make you smile. How about helping out at an animal shelter or something? you could spend time with other animals which might make you smile and you could feel like you're helping them ♥ your dog was very lucky to have you and you will meet again one day ♥ I know grief is so hard and the reminders you see around you set you off all over again. It's only been 4 weeks though, it will gradually get a bit easier as time goes on. We'll always miss them, but it gets easier to cope with as the time goes on. *sadhug

MyCatWillMissMe

I really know how you feel. It's been several years for me and I won't get another dog. It's ok to miss a dog and it's ok to cry. Part of you is gone when someone you really care about dies and it won't come back, but you can add to it by meeting new people or getting new animals. I chose to get 2 cats after my dog died and I'm glad I did.

Livelife

SF Supporter
I feel like part of me died with him. I was looking at some pictures of him from before he got sick, which was just 4-5 months ago. He was totally healthy and happy, a beautiful animal, so full of life. He was young for his age.
I feel like he would have lived much longer if not for the cancer. I needed him in my life, and he deserved more life. It just seems so unfair that he's gone. Unfair to me, unfair to him. Just senseless. Cancer is cruel.
I think about him every day and sometimes I just sit and cry. Now I really have nobody that loves me. No family, no close friends. A dog can go a long way to ease the loneliness, and now I don't even have that. The lockdown sure doesn't help.
Every now and then I run into one of my neighbors with dogs and I start to cry. I just miss him so much. It feels like I've lost part of my soul and I will never be the same.
There's nothing I can do.
Alice
My heart is with you Alice, I'm sorry for your loss....I had to put my precious little soul brother down a couple of years ago because of cancer at only age 7, I didn't let him suffer which I have that to be grateful for....it's like ripping a part of your self away. You'll find the pain severity eases as time passes. My dogs are also the love I have in my life. Take care.

lightning05

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets are our family members and the pain from losing one is the same. I lost my dog a few years ago. Still hurts sometimes when I see a husky, I am immediately reminded of her. Sending lots of love and hugs your way.

alice202

SF Supporter
❤🐾 hugs. Sorry for your loss.
Is there a way for you to pupsit someones dog (or even a cat?) for now just so you dont feel that alone anymore
Well I do have a neighbor with a husky and I have asked to "borrow" him for a walk. I'm still getting my nerve up. There are people in the neighborhood who haven't seen me since my dog died... being seen with another one will require some explanation.. If I talk about it, I'll cry. So I want to do it but I'm not ready.

alice202

SF Supporter
I really know how you feel. It's been several years for me and I won't get another dog. It's ok to miss a dog and it's ok to cry. Part of you is gone when someone you really care about dies and it won't come back, but you can add to it by meeting new people or getting new animals. I chose to get 2 cats after my dog died and I'm glad I did.
I am allergic to cats so its not an option for me. I've never lived without a dog as an adult and even now, I just don't feel right. But I don't want to rush into it. The attachment is deep and you can never replace the one you've lost. I still miss the dogs I had before this one. The pain fades with time. But its worse when you feel they were taken too soon.

Xanthas

My Lola died right around this time last year. She was the most loving being I've every known. She had cancer at 11, had surgery to remove the tumor and did well for about a year. Then, something caused pancreatitis and that was a slow degeneration for the next two years. We finally had to say goodbye just before her 14th birthday.

About 4 months later, I got a puppy, who is now 10 months old. She's a totally different personality, but still wonderful. She is far and away the source of most of my joy each day.

I hope you get yourself a new dog. I feel like the love I offer Lily is a way of honoring Lola.

ib4uib

They come back you know. The next time you are talking to somebody else's dog mention his name. The dog you are talking to will react. They are more connected than what humans are.

If you do get another dog then watch how quickly he starts behaving like your last dog. That's what I mean by 'coming back'

Take care

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00