• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

it's like i can't do anything right.

I can't write stories at all anymore. That used to be the thing that got me through tough times, and now every time I go to write it's like my hands and brain cease to function. Same with art, which has become especially problematic since I'm taking an art class right now and need to be able to do shit like sit down and paint something for a project.

I can't do assignments well anymore. My brain just kind of...floats endlessly in my head and it seems to almost get worse when I try to do something productive.

Just now I'm freaking out over having to record a video that's not even a minute and a half long of myself discussing something I'm passionate about for a class assignment. Every time I press record I freeze and start dissociating. It's been two and a half hours. The video is due tomorrow and I've had a literal month to do it.

And before I get some wiseass commenting "well you can you're just not applying yourself" or some such garbage:

I've been trying. For MONTHS.

I'm. Not. Getting. ANYWHERE.

I can't physically apply myself to this shit anymore.

What the hell am I meant to do about this?

cots

Take a break? Put everything down for a while and go on a break. Don't do art or anything just for a while. Sometimes, trying too much or pushing yourself too hard can lead to exhaustion, hence the mental block.

MisterBGone

o O Oo oO oOo O ooo..!;)~
SF Supporter
...Is there a way, in which you could possibly "pretend," that it was a class you didn't care about so much? Just while you're recording the video? At least, that's what I'd try to do... in order to relieve the tension & stress of it all- make believe that I didn't give a care. And then that way I might relax enough to where the performance of itself actually / takes care of itself (in a way!) :^) sorry if I'm not making much sense ~ it's just something I've grown accustomed to as of late- ;)

Take a break? Put everything down for a while and go on a break. Don't do art or anything just for a while. Sometimes, trying too much or pushing yourself too hard can lead to exhaustion, hence the mental block.
lol would if I could but the end of the semester's coming up so that actually means I need to push myself extra hard if I want to somehow come back from failing almost all my classes and get a passable grade

BlueGreen

Ok, just a suggestion but how about turning it on to record and shout and rant at the camera, and get out your frustrations on it? Don't look at it afterwards! But it might help to free up that blocked energy. Do it a few times so you get used to it, knowing that this isn't 'the one'. Do some exercises to physically loosen up and get the blood flowing. It sounds like a lot of obligation is killing your creativity so I agree with @cots, once you get the video done, I would try and take a break if you can.

Ok, just a suggestion but how about turning it on to record and shout and rant at the camera, and get out your frustrations on it? Don't look at it afterwards! But it might help to free up that blocked energy. Do it a few times so you get used to it, knowing that this isn't 'the one'. Do some exercises to physically loosen up and get the blood flowing. It sounds like a lot of obligation is killing your creativity so I agree with @cots, once you get the video done, I would try and take a break if you can.
That's a good idea. I tried it a couple times and eventually just wrote out what I'd say on my phone while laying in bed. In the morning I recorded it and turned it in without too much thought. I don't exactly feel better but it's at least done now. Thank you :)

KM76710

SWCA3110-SWHF625
SF Supporter
Much is just giving yourself a break and taking a bit of time and working from there. It is a marathon and not a sprint, don't try to solve your past immediately.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$300.00
Goal
$255.00