its not easy

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by IJ (it just is), Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IJ (it just is)

IJ (it just is) Well-Known Member

its not easy living each day with these thoughts of suicide. and its not like the people around me will understand. all they say is its selfish and its a cowardly way out and and and. they dont realize what its like to live day in and day out with your mind that torments you and you can escape. i am feeling so alone and sad and hopeless...

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is difficult when the thoughts become the real problem as opposed to the situations that used to cause the thoughts. It is very easy to spend all the time thinking about suicide and seeing it as the solution for even the minor issues in life.

Most people use distractions when problems become overwhelming - they find a distraction to give their mind a few moments to slow down and stop thinking about money problems, relationship problems, health issues, etc. It is a natural response, and then if you have ever had any therapy or counseling they often go into great deal about how to use distractions as a coping technique. Sometimes though, the suicidal thoughts and ideation have become the distraction. It is easy to focus on that and not have to think about the real issues, and then it is hard to even put a face on the real issues and all that is left is the suicidal thought sand idea of escape. It becomes a simple but overwhelming fantasy.

Like any other compulsive or unmanaged behavior or bad habit , the only way to break it is to intentionally change the process. Try to think of a handful of things that will occupy your thoughts for a few minutes when it goes to the suicidal ideation pattern. From doing math problems in your head, remembering lines of verse or lyrics to songs (that are not contributing to the suicidal thoughts), figuring out a menu for dinner for the week, - it does not matter the what - it is just something to interrupt the thought process long enough to get your mind to stop the auto pilot diving into suicidal thoughts. Then when that is interrupted you can spend a few minutes thinking about the issue at hand or go back to whatever activity you should have or would prefer to be doing.

We often say we can't help what we think about , but that is not really accurate., While we can;t prevent the thought from coming into our head, the amount of time we focus on it each time is under our control for the most part.

3. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I feel the same. My mind torments me constantly and it never stops. It feels like I'm in a prison. Other people can't understand because they are not dealing with what we deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.