Its Political Correctness gone maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Underground, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

What is your view of "political correctness" - do you believe there is a real problem in todays society with political correctness or PC, or do you think people need to just chill out?

I think the latter, tbh.

Sure there are some absurd people out there who want to ban words or change words like get rid of the word 'manned' and called it 'personned' and there are people who get uppity about calling someone who works on a fire brigade a 'fireman' or calling a police officer a 'policeman' because there are now females in them professions, and such, but really i don't think its a big deal.

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I agree, I think people need to chill out and not be so offended. Just don't use certain words if you don't like them.

3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

There's a time and place where good manners in general, not just "political correctness," are more appropriate. But yes, I'm not really a fan of bullshit facades. I'd rather a racist call me a n1gger to my face the way he/she really wants to and have them face their own ignorance, rather than hear their bullshit speech about how many "black" friends they have and how gorgeous the last "black chick" they fucked was.

4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I think people need to take a step back and just chill. Who are these people that get offended??

My mum witnessed a teenage boy being beaten up once and when the police asked for a description of the attackers she said "two black lads" and was told she couldn't call them "black", they had to be "of darker skin."

Have you read the politically correct version book of fairy tales? Madness, I tell you!

5. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

In my English class when I was about 11, there was a class discussion about Brazil, and at that age I didn't know shit about the world, I knew Ronaldo was from there, but that was about it.

So I put my hand up and the teacher permitted me to speak and i asked "Is that where black people live?" She lost her shit, she was shaking with rage, infuriated at me like I'd just said something racist! I put my head down and said "sorry, i was only asking". Fucking ridiculous.

I'm from the UK, for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  6. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I agree, I think people need to chill out. I hate it when a celebrity will say retarded on an interview, then get absolutely slammed for saying it the next day. If they aren't reffereing to a special needs person as being a retard, then it's no big deal.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Political correctness is absolutely crazy in the UK. The harmless nursery rhyme "Baa Baa Black Sheep" is now "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep". You can't called a blackboard, a blackboard anymore it has to be called a chalk board. You can't say brain storm either it's now a mind map as to not insult people with epilepsy I mean what the actual fuck. A car horn is now called an audible warning device. A spade is called an earth relocation device. It's actually fucking ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the UK!

8. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Baa baa Rainbow Sheep? Seriously? That nursery rhyme is harmless!

Eh, I honestly think people need to calm down both ways and find a middle ground. There are some words that shouldn't be used and some where it just doesn't matter because anyone offended by them would have to be overly sensitive.

9. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I agree with the title of this thread.

10. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Listen up people, if people just had basic respect for each other as humans we wouldn't need all this political correctness, until we learn to give others the basic respect they deserve then I'm all for it.

11. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

12. Butterfly

Sorry, I disagree. I think political correctness is making people become more hatred fueled and quite pissed off in general. It really has come to something where, at the last world cup, some busy body from the council came knocking on our door telling us to take down our England flag because it was offensive to ethnic minorities. How fucking ridiculous, that ended up with the guy having the door slammed in his face and my dad threatening to call the police for trespassing. We can't call the Christmas holidays that anymore it had to be the Winter holidays. I would just like to know how and England flag and Christmas is offensive when I see other flags our in pride during competitions yet I am not offended by them and I am not offended by the celebrations of Eid, Hannukah, Diwali etc so why all the need for this nonsense???

13. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I find that hard to believe....where are you situated? you should have got his name and reported him to the council. As for the christmas holidays, well they are no longer anything to do with the celebration of Isa (Jesus) so I guess our government are just getting real on that one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  14. Pasta08

Pasta08 Banned Member

I think people are too politically correct and are scared of speaking there minds now days.

15. Pasta08

Pasta08 Banned Member

This.

16. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

ok........

so in Brighton - bus drivers have been told they must not use endearments to passengers. I.E. They mustnt call passengers "darling, or babe". This was on the news yesterday as one woman had complained about being called "babe" by the bus driver-so message was sent round to all drivers to tell them to refrain from doing this.

Now what is the general opinion on this forum. Myself - I have no problem being addressed as Darling, Lovely, Babe or sweetheart - I like it ........ but I was wondering what other members felt about this - male and female views welcome.

BY the way - the woman in question said that "Babe" was a demeaning and sexist name ----- guys/gals what do you think?

17. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Its pathetic really,stopping people from just being people.Let's turn the human race into robot's,all talk the same,act the same way,now i'm not the sort of guy who calls strange women darlin,sweetheart but i don't see the harm in it.It work's both way's too and i really like it,i go in my local shop and one of the more senior staff might say"Hello luvee or will that be all luvee" It's gives me a little warm glow,makes me remember that some people are nice and friendly but i guess the government want's to ruin that like everything else.I guess it wasn't sc~fi when they said we'd all end up with bar codes on us:(
    Regarding Political Correctness and whoever said that we need it!! There are a hundred countries that need it to bring them up to our level before we ever need it inflicted on us,we in the UK are being expected to meet criteria that nobody else does apart from USA and Western Europe.

18. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I think some of you have completely misread or misunderstood my OP. My point is actually people moan too much about "PC" and they need to chill with it.

Obviously it's stupid in some situations or has "gone too far", but I find some of these anecdotes on here and in papers hard to believe, sorry. Like a police officer asking someone to describe the race of an offender, that doesn't sound true when "Black Britsh" and "Black - Other" etc etc. are official ethnic names on forms, you see it all the time on college applications, surveys, council surveys, so I doubt the police are any different and police are actually the least "PC" people out there when the vast majority of their ranks are white males, despite all that hoohah about positive discrimination. So what if the Daily Mail or The Sun ran an article on a bitter reject who found out they were actually more interested in hiring a minority or a woman, which was actually because of operational needs, not to be "diverse", the part which those right-wing tabloids always conveniently omit.

The England flag and Union flags do not offend minorities, I see council estates etc. which are littered with England/Union particularly during events like the World Cup and during the Royal Wedding, and sometimes just in general, these are places where there are high concentrations of ethnic minorities, they don't give a shit.

"Happy holidays"? That's another questionable one which was blown out of proportion. This Christmas we still got "Merry Christmas" cards and all the shops etc still had signs etc. saying "Merry Christmas", the minorities were not bothered, let alone offended. I don't even understand this one, ffs, it's still officially called "Christmas break" by the council and schools...

You still have the right to say what you want, as long as you convey your point rationally and respectfully. There's nobody stopping you ranting about immigrants or whatever if you so choose, you just have to accept the consequences that not everybody will agree with you, and no Emma West (My Tram Experience woman) is not a good example, she committed several public order offences with her vitriol filled rant in November and not only subjected fellow passengers to it, but her son as well. Don't blame PC just because you don't have the balls to say what you're really thinking unless its on the internet or to your own friends, I know this might sound harsh, but it's true.

It really depends on context. I think the woman in question should have simply said "I would prefer not to be called that", if this is true, then it's an example of where a company is overreacting, but it's not groundless. Calling a woman "darling" can come across as patronising, even if that wasn't the intention. Bear in mind, some men who use terms like that do not use them on other men and only women (and children). "Babe" is not that bad, though.

19. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Well you can sleep easy because Britain has become everything you ever wished for,except you'd probably rather see more "positive discrimination" and by the way there never was a more offensive term than that.Anyway's you can praise it all you like but there are millions of Britons who are sick to the stomach of all this crap and always will be so your paradise will never exist.Simply an illusion enforced on a weary downtrodden nation who don't have a right of reply without being called racists.

20. Butterfly

Sorry if you find it hard to believe, but all of what I said is true. And it is true I had some busy body come round from the council, telling us to take our England flag down because "it was offensive to ethnic minorities". The whole chalkboard instead of a blackboard thing has been about since I was at school and I left school 5 years ago aswell as the mindmap instead of brain storm thing, so I am sorry to disappoint you but what I have pointed out is true. And I am not ranting about ethnic minorities. If you read my post I said I had no problem with their flags or celebrations. A lot of my friends from school were Muslim or black and I love learning and embracing different cultures, so I don't know where you got that impression from. What Emma West did was sick, repulsive and disgusting and I am ashamed that she calls herself British.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.