It's simple. I just need advice on what to do with finances.

Discussion in 'I Need Some Practical Advice' started by Christopher B!, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Christopher B!

Christopher B! New Member

So, to keep it simple, I'm in the process of waiting for a decision from disability. In the meantime, I have little to no income, and bills! Every account with respect to whom I owe money, has been great working with me, except one. Pay pal credit. Actually, they've been fairly good as well, but some issues with them. They absolutely will not work with me! Before I outline the details, and present everything here, is there anyone who would be able to help? I'm here because this has been so frustrating and on account of going from making fairly decent money, to less than $3,000 in the 2017 year, it's been really depressing obviously. Not contemplating suicide, but sometimes wish I didn't exist. Can someone help me with advice on how to handle this one bill collector? Thank you!
  2. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

Hey @Christopher B!

Can you explain more about “they absolutely will not work with me” and the “some issues”?
  3. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you are going through this Christopher.

I think in the initial application process, almost everyone gets rejected. You'd then have to get a lawyer and appeal. Disability lawyers typically work on a contingency-fee basis, and take a cut of your first check. This unfortunately gives them an incentive to stretch out the process to the maximum length, which is about 5 years.

A law school clinic or community legal clinic might get you faster results, but I'm not sure.

@M4321 might want to comment.

There are a couple of things that you can do while you are waiting.

One is to get some credit counseling. A counselor might advise you to declare bankruptcy.

Another thing is to see if you can get vocational assistance for people with disabilities. The bar for qualifying is usually much lower than for disability benefits. They may be able to help you find a job that is a good fit for your disability that wouldn't prevent you from getting disability benefits, or even to find a job that could pay you more than disability benefits could. They can also sometimes provide free training.

If you are in the US or Canada, you could try calling 211 or visiting They may be able to help connect you with credit counseling, legal aid, and information about vocational assistance.
  4. walkerbait95

walkerbait95 SF Social Media Forum Pro SF Supporter

If you come back around again, Chris, let us know so we can reply to your thread. I see you haven't been back. I'd like to see what you have to say about clarifying your initial post. What it is about paypal that isn't working.. or is? I couldn't figure out what you were saying. They're being turds about your payments? Or they're being cool with you and the others aren't?
    Disability is a rough road, it takes a couple years, typically to get through those hoops.