it's taking too long... i don't know how long i can hold on!!

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Tish, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tish

Tish Member

it's been 6 weeks and i still have no news from the mental health team of any form, not even to give me a far off appointment. i hate the NHS!! i know they're understaffed but i'm having a hard time hanging on when i have nothing but some medication which isn't working.
    i've considered making a half suicide attempt so i'll end up in A&E and they'll take me seriously or something. but i have a feeling that wouldn't help either. i don't know how long i have keep just waiting and hoping. killing myself is in my head so much i don't know what to do anymore.
    i feel like a worthless, stupid, fat, ugly, ***** and i'm so alone!!! :help::depressed
  2. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

You don't need to harm your self to go to A+E. If you are really struggling just turn up explain and say you would like to see crisis team. You don't need to hurt yourself to attend A+E.
  3. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm in Manchester too and I'm all too familiar with the NHS slow wagon so you're not alone at least you've come here to talk about it and we're all here now.

I feel they need to know how much of a bad way I'm in but at the same time I dont really want to show them what I've done to myself.

I hope you stick around and keep posting.
  4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

hey I'm in a different country but was told by psyche services to turn up at emergency and tell them i'm going to kill myself and I'd get immediate help....they have a duty of care (once you tell them that) to help you.
  5. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I bet you are a much better person than you think!

And you're not alone, you have us!

I'm sorry that you are not getting the help that you need. Maybe you could try calling the samaritans and see if they can be helpful. And you can keep posting here!

Since you are in a position where you are not able to get medical help, trying some self-help methods might be worthwhile. Getting a 1/2 per day of gentle aerobic activity can help. Though going in to A & E sounds like the best thing.

I wish there was a "hug 911" number, and people would show up at your door and give you hugs when you needed them.

Here are some e-hugs!

:hug: :hug: :hug:
  6. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

I'm from Manchester too and I can say with no doubt whatsoever, that Manchester Mental Health Services are an absolute disgrace. Even in comparison to services elsewhere in the country. They're appalling. There was a big report published a couple of years ago which showed just how bad they were and the woman in charge was forced to resign as a result.
    The only reason I've survived is because my GP is so fantastic. When I'm in a bad way he makes me see him once a week and we bitch about Manchester Mental Health Services. He's told me that if GP's get the budget direct from the Government, then he'll send me to the Priory instead. Roll on that day!!!!!!
    Enough of my ranting though (I can rant about this subject all day lol)
    You need to go back to your GP and tell him that whatever meds you've got aren't working. If you can, try and see the same GP everytime, you'll build up a relationship with them and they can give you better care. I've been seeing my GP for about 15 years now and he can tell I'm getting ill before I can.
    Secondly, write to your MP and tell them that you are not satisfied with the service that you're receiving from the Mental Health Service. He'll then write to the psych unit and they'll suddenly find you an appointment.
    If you're going to go to A&E, then be prepared for a very long wait and be very prepared to fight it out. They'll try to fob you off with a couple of pills and say that a family member should 'keep a close eye on you for a couple of days'. Don't let them get away with that. Insist on being treated and say that you're not leaving until they treat you. A friend of mine did this. She was kept in A&E for almost 12 hours with the staff treating her like dirt and insisting they didn't have a bed for her. She stuck it out and they put her in a private hospital instead. They have to treat you, they just don't like admitting that and try to fob you off instead.
    Hang on in there, and pm me if you need any more help. xxxx
  7. steph

steph Member

hi there, sounds like you need to see the crisis team. dont mean to dishearten you, but I have made 3 suicide attempts since june hospitalized twice and had a very adverse reaction and I only had initial appointment for councelling last month, i was told I am high priority and that it could still take 3 months. Be patient for help, also try samaritans for help if desperate xx:IrishDoll:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.