It's the yeast I could do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
At work, one of the things I do once or twice a week is bake 8 or 9 loaves of bread. That's what I attempted to do yesterday. One of my pet peeves about my job is the inexplicable reluctance to label jars and containers of spices and ingredients when refilling them. The yeast powder was put in an old onion powder container and placed on the same shelf as an identical container that's still being used for onion powder. You probably know where this is going already. The powders look almost exactly the same too, except the yeast is ever so slightly darker. So, yeah, I grabbed the onion instead of the yeast and ruined 9 loaves of bread. It took us half the day to figure out why the loaves weren't rising. They all went into the garbage. The boss was really cool about it, I have to say. Even though I refuse to take full responsibility for the mix-up because of the militant labelling resistance of the place, it still felt like a massive kick in the nuts and I was plunged into utter darkness for the rest of the day. This is the kind of crap that drives me to try and obliterate my consciousness with alcohol at the end of every work week. Anyway, today I have to take another shot at baking them. I labelled the yeast container, so I'll have better odds this time.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
@Walker, If I had been 100% focused on what I was doing I would have noticed the slight difference in color and it wouldn't have happened. So I have to take at least a partial 'hit for the team'. But it would be so great if they'd start labelling the containers to take into account the fact that occasionally, a person will be only 99% focused, and then we can easily avoid stupid disasters like this one.

I make a lot of pizzas at work every day (nowhere near as good as the ones I make at home) but it's not a pizza joint. It's a general lunch place for the businesses in the area. Yep, I'm still there, or, I'm there again after the lockdown*thumbsup

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Even though I refuse to take full responsibility for the mix-up
Full responsibility? You shouldn't be taking any responsibility over this whatsoever. Ok, so there may be a slightly different grade in colouring between the two powders, but whatever pillock placed yeast in the wrong jar, they are the ones who needs to own this shit. Although your boss may have acted relatively cool over this, which is a good thing, it does to me suggest a lakadaisical approach. Putting shit in the wrong jars may have happened on this occassion, but what procedures are in place to stop it happening again in the future? This is cross contamination man, people need to listen to your organisational prowess.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
No you probably shouldn’t lol.

Have a great day!
It did turn out to be a fairly great day:) I was apparently the only one there who thought it was a disaster of epic proportions*dunno
Full responsibility? You shouldn't be taking any responsibility over this whatsoever. Ok, so there may be a slightly different grade in colouring between the two powders, but whatever pillock placed yeast in the wrong jar, they are the ones who needs to own this shit. Although your boss may have acted relatively cool over this, which is a good thing, it does to me suggest a lakadaisical approach. Putting shit in the wrong jars may have happened on this occassion, but what procedures are in place to stop it happening again in the future? This is cross contamination man, people need to listen to your organisational prowess.
The practice there is to reuse the jars and containers that are used daily. When a jar is empty, we run it through the washing machine and then it gets refilled with whatever from enormous sacks, regardless of what it says on the label. My boss will tell me 'Get the cumin' so I go over to the main spice shelf and I'm confronted with a dizzying array of spices all in mislabeled containers. I have to narrow my search down to the powders that are roughly the same color as cumin and start opening each one and sniffing, till I find it, lol. Of course he knows which one is currently the cumin jar because he's the head chef and he's using it constantly and probably filled it himself. When I have to find a spice it often takes time and there's a lot of sneezing involved.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
If someone has an allergy, then there is the potential for exposure due to cross contamination. There's been cases I can remember when during inspections, pharmaceutical manufacturers had their processing plants shut down due to lax processes. In one case some genius decided to use the same machinery processing penicillin tabs for other tablet runs.
So I'm wondering if you happen to use any types of nuts or something which could perhaps cause havoc?

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
@WalkerI make a lot of pizzas at work every day (nowhere near as good as the ones I make at home)
Oh, my dude, we gotta compare recipes some time. I worked for a bunch of independent pizza places as a driver for years, learned to make pizza in between deliveries, which got me interested in cooking in general. Consider myself a bit of an amateur chef, with Cali-style pizza as my specialty. Like a ghetto version of Ed LaDou. It’s, like, my dream to have a house with a kitchen with an actual wood-fired brick pizza oven built in.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
If someone has an allergy, then there is the potential for exposure due to cross contamination. There's been cases I can remember when during inspections, pharmaceutical manufacturers had their processing plants shut down due to lax processes. In one case some genius decided to use the same machinery processing penicillin tabs for other tablet runs.
So I'm wondering if you happen to use any types of nuts or something which could perhaps cause havoc?
The washing machine that we put them through completely sanitizes them. They're much cleaner than whatever you pull out of your machine at home.

We're extremely aware of gluten, for example. Anything that's touched any bread product is washed separately.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Oh, my dude, we gotta compare recipes some time. I worked for a bunch of independent pizza places as a driver for years, learned to make pizza in between deliveries, which got me interested in cooking in general. Consider myself a bit of an amateur chef, with Cali-style pizza as my specialty. Like a ghetto version of Ed LaDou. It’s, like, my dream to have a house with a kitchen with an actual wood-fired brick pizza oven built in.
I love making pizzas. Especially at home. It's like my secret Marvel Comics power*shh

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
whisper: Gouda
whisper: Bacon
You complete me.

The best I ever made had roasted garlic sauce (literally just roasted garlic blended with just enough olive oil to make it spreadable, no tomato anything to be found anywhere on this bad boy). Fresh mozzarella, topped with caramelized onions and garlic sauteed mushrooms, drizzled with truffle infused olive oil, and topped on it's way out of the oven with a few little dollops of cold ricotta for contrast and a few fresh thyme leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00