It's worse than I thought

MagickLynx

SF Supporter
Basically, 11 of my teeth are totally ruined (mostly from the grinding I do in my sleep), I have a lot of pain in a few now and will have to go to either an emergency dentist this evening or my regular one tomorrow, I know these teeth will likely have to be extracted :( I'm just sat here crying like a baby and I'm scared and so so sad :(

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Depending on the extent of the grinding, they may be able to salvage at least some of the teeth. Also, what you are suffering from is known as bruxism, and the use of a specially designed mouthguard can quite often be quite effective in preventing further damage or causing any other complicatons.

Good luck with your dental appointment, I really hope they will be able to come up with a suitable plan that will not involve tooth extraction.

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
Hiya Magic. Sorry to hear you're suffering like this. I have nothing I can add that others haven't already, I've heard of the mouth guard thing that Ash is talking about and it sounds like at least a good interim idea for now to prevent anymore damage. I have a phobia of anything medical so never go to the dentist but am regretting it in later life. I hope your appointment goes well and they can help you (I'm sure they can as I hear they can work miracles with teeth these days).

Try not to be scared (ironic coming from me but they really are amazing compared to when I was a kid). Just like mental health, it's best to work with the pros and let them advise you of the best course of action. I just wanted to let you know that I read your post and you'll be in my thoughts. Don't be alone through this, keep venting and know that we're all here for you throughout. {{Hedgehugs}} :)

Thanks everyone, I saw my dentist and he put some temporary fillings in but at least two teeth have to be extracted and I will have to wait for another dentist to do them under sedation, I'm a bit better than I was yesterday, that pain was unbearable, now they're just tender. I think he cleaned them with clove oil or something similar, smells like it. I can't get a new mouth guard made until the other dentist has done the extractions :(

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Olive oil can be quite effective for dental pain. Just dab a little bit on using a cotton bud.
At least you've managed to see a dentist and only 2 teeth have to be extracted which is better than 11.
Sorry that you are still in discomfort but at least some progress is now being made regarding remedying this situation.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Glad you were able to see the dentist and that the pain is lessened. Sorry that you will need to have more pulled and wait for a new mouth guard. Any chance you can afford dentures or implants.

Thanks @Ash600, I'm going to try the olive oil for sure, it's only two to come out for now, but I looked in my mouth properly (which I never do) and I see the extent of damage done from grinding, 11 are really just small/stumps with large bits of filling in them so I doubt they'll last long.
You can't really call them 'teeth'.

Thanks @SillyOldBear, I will likely need dentures, sadly there's no way I can afford implants. I have no idea how I'll cope with dentures :(

I held my tongue up at the roof of my mouth as I went to sleep last night, and woke with a sore tongue and toothmarks on it :(

I wish there was some magic way to stop grinding.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
*hugs* Sorry to hear about this, I do realise implants cost about 2 grand a tooth but maybe some day you will be able to afford them and I have heard of ''dentist holidays'' some good stories but some horror stories too but maybe its an option you would like to take? Sorry this is stressing you out. Do you not want dentures?

No, I have to wait for a new mouth guard, have to wait until they fix my teeth :/ but I had one and chewed right through it and still broke teeth. It seems that having had fillings has weakened my teeth. I got teeth filled as a kid even when I had no pain in them :(

Yeah dentist holidays, but that does worry me, anything going wrong would be horrific, it's all horrific, anything to do with teeth, just, ugh. I don't know how I'd manage with partial dentures. Plus, apparently you are meant to get implants done asap once teeth are removed because you jaw starts changing shape/shrinking :( ugh. Just wish I could stop grinding in my sleep.

This must be very painful... I had a girlfriend with a "light" version of this problem, it was causing her headaches
But you're problem is on a completely different level !
I dearly hope it will get better for you
sending love your way !

Last night I must have been grinding again, and part of an old veneer is missing.. nowhere to be seen on my bed or around it so I guess it broke in my sleep and I swallowed it? The main front part of it is still on .. for now :confused: I'll have to see if my old dentist who fitted that veneer will see me as the other ones aren't trained in dealing with veneers. I hate this :( I'm willing to just try and let them do whatever without any sedation, I don't have much choice. I hope this other bit doesn't come off, but at the same time, I can't really walk around with half a veneer missing for long. :(

gypsylee

SF Supporter
Thanks @Walker been in a lot of pain the past few days with another broken one, I got some antibiotics so hopefully they will help..
Oh, I had no idea you had the hell of teeth. I've had so many root canals I've honestly lost count.. Abscesses, dry sockets.. Teeth break off at the gum.. You name it, I've had it when it comes to teeth. My one saving grace is it's been the back ones, so it isn't obvious. It's hell though. I'd have them all pulled if I could.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00