ive already been dead for 13.8 billion years

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by HawthornePassage, Dec 19, 2011.

1. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

getting out 60 years early to roll a pretty much guaranteed minimum of a 0, as opposed to suffering to get to -40....its just a blink of an eye and utterly irrelevant. dont get why people act like its worth so much to live when were so insignificant. im sure that since ive already been dead for 13.8 billion years, being dead for another 13.8 billion or more years will be okay. since after you die, you pretty much cease to exist, nothing matters and no overall negativity is worth enduring at all. if you want to live, thats your business but not mine. not that anything mattered anyway, i dont really care if this whole planet blew up. itd just be like a grain of sand melting to dust

trying to assign meaning to something thats so insignificant is a futile exercise
  2. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Hawthorne, so very sorry that your existence seems so very little and futile for you.. hope something comes to change that for the better for you.. tc, Jim
  3. HawthornePassage

existence is futile by very nature. also, resistance is futile. to that reality, that is
  4. sihuskyzoi

sihuskyzoi Well-Known Member

I respectfully concur.
  5. Raphael1

Raphael1 Well-Known Member

To see a world in a Grain of Sand, And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Well-Known Member

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
    ― Mark Twain

One of my favorite Mark Twain quotes. In the grand scheme of things, we are nothing more than grains of sand like you said. We are so miniscule and insignificant, if we all ceased to exist the universe would go on, as it had billions of years prior.
  7. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

I agree. There is no inherent value or purpose to life. We live and die, what we do in between has been done before; what we think, with rare exceptions like Einstein, have been thought of before.

Except for one thing, others assign value to you, whether you like it or not. Your thoughts, love, and existance are important to others, some because they love you, some because you offer them simple comfort over a website, even strangers you never met, and some just because of their personal belief valuing life.

The bitch of it, for me anyway and maybe you feel the same, is when you don't feel valued by others and you don't value yourself.
    Add any kind of pain to the mix, who wouldn't seek escape?

Joseph Campbell one said that there is no meaning to life. We assign meaning to life.

In the grand scheme of things, we are miniscule. If you zoom in, suddenly you have significance.
  8. HawthornePassage

its also the fact that i have a hard time taking life thaaat seriously so it just doesnt seem worth it to bother but then again it doesnt seem worth it to bother ending it, oh man choices choices
  9. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

I agree with Hawthorn to a certain extent, existence in itself is futile, no one gets out alive anyway, so whats the point? But, would cutting off all chance at getting better and making the best out of your brief existence really worth it? Personally, I think no. It's simply not worth the extra effort as far as i'm concerned.
  10. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

Hawthorne, even though you may feel that we are insignificant and there is no point of living, you may not feel the same way a few months from now. You will find out that some people's existence in this life will very much depend on your own. please stick around a while and keep posting how are you are feeling.
  11. AstroAshton92

AstroAshton92 Active Member

I've been struggling with the same concept myself.
    I've come to believe that we are nothing in the eyes of the Tao (Taoism) and that with or without or participation the universe will continue to grow and diminish as it pleases. I am the same flourishing and decaying matter as the planet and all of it's living creatures, so who am I to say I have a right to this life, who am I to claim my significance amongst all things?
    "Dreams are only dreams if they last. Can't you say the same thing about life?"
    This perspective doesn't startle me, as much as it's humbling to know that my decisions don't really have as much of a pending affect on the world around as I thought, because I don't wish to harm others...I just feel I should be out of the way. But I'm indirectly involved by saying yes to life every day I wake up, so it's hard to feel so utterly useless. It makes me feel that my ability to question and criticize what I've been taught all these years doesn't make me insane, or imbalanced, just objective.
    Is this similar for you at all?
  12. HawthornePassage

I've felt this way for many years, so I'm pretty sure I'll feel this way 3 months from now, or even 3 years from now.

I've felt this way since I was a young teenager in some way or form, but its developed a lot more in the last 5 years (going on 23 now).

Those last 5 years have been experienced as 50 'mental years'.

So yeah I'm pretty sure I will still feel this way.
  13. AstroAshton92

AstroAshton92 Active Member

Maybe make a game out of it.
    I think I understand what you're feeling, as I don't really see much point in me sticking around either...but as long as your still around that means you've said yes somehow to life right? Keep challenging yourself to how far your can go, despite your feelings, despite how others feel your in this for them and not for yourself. See how long you can live just because you can, and then when you're bored think about your plans again.
  14. HawthornePassage

its more like just too paralyzed to move, its not yes or no.

thats what being despondent is like. why bother playing the game if you can just press eject so easily?