I've quit cutting but...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by j86, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

I've been a cutter for almost 4 years now.
    I had a really bad episode about a month or so ago and I was shocked at the results - how it all ended.
    I noticed I can't be doing this anymore. Even if I could continue to do it in places I could hide.

But I quit. I went crying to my mom the next day telling her about it. All theses years, I think she had an idea but she didn't really understand. She was angry but she had another thing on her mind that made her cry too.

So, that next day, I vowed never to cut. However, the urges are still there and it's a damn pain to try and not give in.

Since then, i've tried other things to calm the urges but they've all ended up being just as self-destructive (snorting pills, bruising, and i've even had thoughts of bringing up cigarette smoking but I quit 2 years ago.. and it's hard.. I don't want to start again).

So, my question to you all is - has anyone else tried to quit? Was it a successful quit or did you decide to continue?

Has anyone else had urges too?
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

i tried to quit yes.
    but instead of quitting i just cut less often.
    cant quit let!
  3. asqy

asqy Well-Known Member

I'm trying to quit as well, and yes, the urges are still there. Are there things, other than bruising, pills, etc., that you could do instead? Those are just other forms of self-harm and, ultimately, will keep you from quitting altogether because it seems as though you have just changed from one method to another. It only leads to more problems because by cutting you really haven't solved anything. The urges will always be there, but that shouldn't stop you from wanting to quit. Keep trying to not self-harm, in all forms... you may relapse and do it again, but don't let that discourage you: it happens. Just realize you made a mistake and don't take it as a failure, just a step in the process.

There are tons of things you can do to distract yourself injurying, but its finding the right one for you that's hard. What works for me might not work for you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2007
  4. blade

blade Well-Known Member

yes ive tried stop cutting i havent done it in 3 mounths now.

5. Allo..

Allo.. Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if i should say "i have quit" or "i am quitting" or just "i cut."
    well i guess i've quit. i havent done it for ages.
    i think apart of quitting, waht has helped me, is the fact that i don't know how long it's been.
    last time i tried and didn't succeed i was counting - 5 weeks and 6 days. then on that almost 6 weeks i thought "its been ages, why not".
    I've had urges since i last cut, last night they were very strong but i was able toget past it.
    Since i don't have my razors anymore it is a lot easier so i hope you've mangaed to get rid of yours.
    Remind yourself of what it will do after.
    try not to use the "well i'm already scarred" excuse.
    I try to think about something else or go to bed.

I'm really proud of you for getting this far :hug:
    good luck!
  6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Try taking up another hobby that gets your hands and mind busy. I love guitar hero (a vice of mine) but (and I know this sounds so so stupid, but I swear, it works and occupies you for hours on end) I like cross-stitching and knitting. It's actually quite chic now, and really helps you to zone out and concentrate on something else, and there is a huge sense of accomplishment in the end. Go to a craft store and get a beginning knitters guide with some yarn and needles or a cross-stitching kit. They really help relieve the stress and you have something at the end that you have made for yourself. Trust me, it's great.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.