1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've read that ECT can cause permanent brain damage. Is this true?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by JCC988, Mar 2, 2018.

1. JCC988

JCC988 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that no medication is going to stabilize me. I've lately been looking into other treatments. I've even been kicking around the idea of requesting ECT. ECT, I have heard from some, made them feel many times better. Yet I've read that some people, besides memory loss, suffered from some nasty effects. One said he can never work again. Another had permanent brain damage that had similar effects.

Is ECT even worth the risk of physical damage?

2. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

3. Lynne1974

Lynne1974 Well-Known Member

It can definitely cause memory issues, particularly with short-term memory. I'm no expert, but ECT is sometimes used if someone hasn't responded to/benefited from anti-depressants/other psychotropic drugs. Keep in mind ECT has come along way over the years. But definitely discuss pros/cons with a psychiatrist, if you have one. Get a second or third opinion. Do research.

4. Innocent Forever

Innocent Forever Go as long as you can. And then take another step. Chat Pro SF Supporter

Your psychologists/therapists are the best people to ask....
    Good luck...
    You're worth it

5. Walker

Walker Everything Zen Staff Member Safety & Support SF Social Media SF Supporter

I think when meds aren't working and you've become a risk to yourself then it's worth discussing with your doctor, you know? Let us know what they tell you, eh.

6. Mr 2004

Mr 2004 Well-Known Member

I've asked my doctor about this too. It's the memory loss that I want