i've started again

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ghostchild, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostchild

ghostchild Member

Years ago, I cut myself on a daily basis. I was coping with too much, couldn't handle it, and started cutting. I still don't really know why, it jus seemed right. It made me feel better, or at least gave me a focus away from things that hurt emotionally.

I stopped because i found an escape. Things got better, and i kind of stopped needing it. The scars mostly faded and only a few people notice them.

Except i've started again. It feels like welcoming back an old friend. its making me feel safer. I'm scared of getting really really hooked. I can't conceal it from my partner forever, and there's only so much skin to cut... what if i can't keep it under control? It scares me, but i'm still doing it, and I still don't really know why.

2. dark&lone

dark&lone Well-Known Member

Did you ever look at the underlying issue when you cut last time? Im really sorry to hear that you've gone back to it. I relate because I stop then start then stop then start. Maybe if you talk to your partner and explain emotions and feelings that you are feeling, and also putting in place what you did when you stopped cutting last time. When pandora's box was left open, at the bottom hope was left.

3. No_Life

No_Life Well-Known Member

im sorry to hear that you've started. i know how hard it can be to stop, i only started not long ago and already it feels such a comfort, it's like a drug fix. if your partner is understanding, then maybe you should tell them what you are doing. you'll find it easier to stop if someone is there to help you through the hard times. also if you dont tell them and they find out somehow then they may feel like you dont trust them.

there are also ways of hurting yourself without cutting, i am obviously not advising you hurt yourself in any way, but when i quit causing pain in a different way like holding ice til your hands hurt or exercising until you can feel your muscles burning painfully (remember to warm down please) can act like a nicotine patch while you are stopping yourself from harming.

hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.