I've taken up smoking...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Melmoth the Wanderer, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

Just cigarettes. I've only had five over the past two days, so it's not "abuse" per se, but I have a pathetic need to tell someone about it. Don't feel like you have to reply to this post.

If it helps you feel more self-righteous, feel free to tell me to stop. I grew up hearing all the bad stuff about smoking, and I know the risks: lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease, yellow teeth and nails, the smell, etc. Since I'm somewhat self-destructive, the risks are actually a strong incentive for me.

I've been wanting to try one for a few months now, just to see what it's like. It's very calming and relaxing, and I'm still getting a slight buzz/rush from it, though that'll probably decrease with time. :unsure:

I think I'm also enjoying the quiet rebellion against my mom. She hates cigarette smoking. She's one of those people who wants smoking in public, outdoor spaces to be banned. She's pretty much revolted by it.

I love her, but I get frustrated that she only sees what she wants to see in me, not who I really am.

Anyway, if any smokers/ex-smokers made it through this post, what's your favorite brand? I currently have a pack of American Native lights, which actually smell a bit like Lipton tea before they're burned. Yum. :biggrin:

Also, my mother is visiting me Sunday. I'll wash my hair and clothes, of course, but does anyone have any other tips for getting rid of a mild smell? She's very sensitive to this particular scent, and I don't feel like an argument. I'll smoke outside from now on, but how do I get rid of the smell of five cigarettes from my apartment?
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I'd have thought the smell of 5 cigs would be gone by itself by Sunday, unless she sticks a cushion right up to her nose and sniffs it, even then I'd have thought the smell would be faded. Maybe open a window for a bit.
  3. Melmoth the Wanderer

Thanks for replying, resistance. I do have the windows open, and I had them open yesterday, but when I walked from school this afternoon, I could smell tobacco. Not burnt tobacco, but tobacco nonetheless. She worked on a tobacco farm when she was little, but hopefully she doesn't know the scent that well. :unsure:
  4. Thinice

Thinice Well-Known Member

Five should be gone in that time. I smoke out my window when my parents go to bed and the smell is always gone in the morning. I just turn my fan on and spray a bit of air freshener around and it's all good.

And to the other question, I usually smoke Royals. I used to roll, but I got sick of having to do it in the freezing cold when my hands won't work properly. I smoke Royals because they're cheap and the nicest IMO.
  5. Melmoth the Wanderer

Thanks, Thinice. I'll buy some freshener tomorrow.

I've been thinking about rolling my own as well, just because I enjoy doing things like that. I'll keep Royals in mind, too, especially since they're talking about raising cigarette prices here again.
  6. kris..

kris.. Well-Known Member

I roll, usually get golden virginia, nicest ones imo

smoke about 20-30 a day, but been smoking 50+ each day for the last week :S..
  7. Ryan1

Ryan1 Well-Known Member

I prefer American spirits. And 5 shouldn't smell horrible. If I can smoke 2-3 a day and not smell, then 5 shouldn't hurt.
  8. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

I think its a waste of money.
  9. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

Yea man I know what you mean... just commiting that action just to show the world how much you really give a fuck. It is a pretty good feeling. If only people like you and me could explain it deeper.
  10. father_to_be

father_to_be Active Member

Right now i have a pack of plain old Camel Filters... I need to quit, at a pack and then some a day... my lungs die when i go up more than 2 flights of stairs >.<
  11. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I am a cigarette whore. I will smoke whatever is cheap. Pall Malls, Montego's L&M's whatever.
  12. christian_1990

christian_1990 Well-Known Member

smoke infront of her if u feel like it, when she ask what ur doing, just tell her the truth....step and fight back if u know what i mean, ur smoking to feel better
  13. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

I used to smoke Belmonts... The charcoal filter made the smoke pretty smooth.

But trust me... The yellow teeth will come, the reduced lung capacity, sore throats, and cough will come next. Not to mention the cost and the fact that soon, the relaxing aspect of it will quickly be replaced with an addiction...

I used to love smoking. Hell, I bet I still do. But I quit and I still feel better. I got synthetic drugs to help with my anxiety, aha :laugh:
  14. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Dont start man... its shit!
    Its fun and nice for the first half a year, or a year
    in my case it was fun for 3 years... but eventualy you will start
    feeling like shit, every time you will go up the stairs you will feel like
    there is not enough air, and you will be covered with sweat
    cold sweat is the worst of it, plus if you will smoke you will smell bad
    to the people around you, even though threw my whole smoking expiriance
    i only met 1 girl that had problem with it...
    And every time you will wake up in the morning, you will have this shitty
    feeling in your throat, and if you forget to brush your teeth you will
    have the taste of cigs in your mouth, here is a nice test for you, try it out :)
    Take an empty can, fill it with cigs that you smoked, then fill it with water
    leave it for 1 day, the day after that smell it...
    this is an example of what is going on in your loungs when u smoke
    or in your mouth if you forget to brush your teeth...
  15. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

i started smoking thinking it was cool and just for social purposes. from a few sticks over a few days became a pack a day. A blink of an eye, more than 20 years has passed and I have smoked more than a few thousand packets of ciggies. I kinda know what is in store for me or the way that I will die......but................I can't stop. Maybe it is that I dont give a damn now until the pain starts. Perhaps then, I will regret the day I first lifted my first ciggy.
  16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Believe me. This isn't the way you want to go! I had some kind of messed up lung infection or something a couple of years back and it was the worst agony you can imagine. I was down for about a month and a week felt like a year. You can't imagine the pain unless you can imagine breathing in fire for days on end. Every breath hurt so bad it made me groan and when I groaned, it hurt worse. Then I needed to breathe again.

And this was just like an infection or inflammation or something. I know I'll die of something someday but I definitely don't want it to be something that terrible.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.