Janet Jackson" "I leave that to the lord"

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by shades, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Sorry to start another thread on religion, but I was disgusted (yet again) by this response by Janet when asked (last night on the Piers Morgan Show) if she planned to have children.

I assume this would be her response to Michael's death and of course almost anything else that she doesn't think she should take any responsibility for.

In addition, this is in fact the response that one gets from many religious individuals on a variety of subjects and of course STIFLES THE THOUGHT PROCESS of said individuals...in my opinion!

As a few others in this forum have said and with whom I agree, the primary issue is that there is no PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY when it comes to those believers who often "leave it up to the lord" or claim any number of tragedies is "gods will".

If you want the link I will provide it but it can be found easily enough by looking at the "Piers Morgan" site!

2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

If it is the way she copes I don't see what the problem is? It is a lot healthier then many alternatives...

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Well I've always taken the attitude "God takes care of those that take care of themselves".
    So basically we're on our own kids :laugh: there is no bucking responsibility,
    And basically, leaving it to the lord...typical bible belt shit!
    And here speaks a practicing catholic!
    Talking of which, why are we known as practicing?
    Last I looked I had the whole thing pretty much nailed :laugh:

4. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Oh dear have you no more important things to think about!!!!!
    If she said I leave it "random" (instead of god) would you feel safer for your life or against all those dreadful Christians that want to do so much harm to you and your family!!!!

Anyway whats that got to do with you? Its her life.

5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

In AA we call personal responsibility "cleaning up our side of the street" and in church we call it "confessing our sins." :)

6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

AA espouses the fact that you're helplessly alcoholic and can do nothing on your own to stop it, but only God can. It's designed in such a way so as to switch your dependence on the booze to dependence on God; either way you feel helpless and must go to an external source to deal with woes.

7. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

For me, Ghandi got it just about right.
    Christianity is a wonderful thing its just the Christians who get it all wrong.

I know of no other thing that has caused more death, destruction and pain to man than religion.
    However, the basic thought of being kind to another is shrouded in this form.................why?

8. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

Just thought i would answer my own question here................... its about the need to be in a club and have that protection that gives a pat on the head and a cuddle when we mess up!
    Sheeeesh, shouldnt we be doing that for ourselves?

I wiil add here, that im agnostic and have no actual dislike of religion, i just dont get it, but if it brings comfort to others, then im all for it.

9. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Well if someone can find peace in a bit of spirituality then its much better than the alternative dependence on Pills and chemicals.

10. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

Well, many have experienced God as a great healer.

Yes, AA use a 'higher power" however this is an interesting article:

AA: Christian or Occult Roots?

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/aaroots.html

For me, God is in the driving seat!

11. titanic

ITA :wink:

12. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Maybe one of my distant cousins was killed by a religous zealot who was doing "the lords work" by blowing up an abortion clinic or by killing an abortion clinic doctor.

There was no "personal responsiblity"...it was done in the name of the lord.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?

13. Chargette

There are many atheists in AA. I'm a member of AA and a Christian, and I don't agree with the assertion of some Christian groups (including the one that I attend) that AA is occult based. When the Pastor starts talking about this stuff I pipe up that I'm a member of AA. I have not been challenged on this so there has not been any debate.

My goal is to let others know to check out for themselves these things and to help any alcoholic that may be present to get the genuine help they need. The topic of religion itself is not allowed in AA because the focus has to remain on problems with alcohol.

AA has enough meetings to attend each week to help a person get through the rough spots. Christian support groups meet once a week and there is too much time during the week to endure for the individual. I think a Christian should not be blocked from attending AA. Normies of any kind cannot help an alcoholic.

The other comment that AA is just another dependency group is a statement that sounds like the generalized statement that AA is occult based. From personal experience I know both statements are false. I have studied the AA book and the Bible.

It's difficult to wade through the flood of information that is presented, both secular and religious. Even the subject of personal responsibility has become a watered down mess because we have become entertainment dependent.

14. titanic

You made some very good points there Chargette, thanks for that info and 'insider' knowledge. I only went to a couple of AA meetings, very friendly and supportive peers, I just couldn't personally warm to it myself. Sadly, a friend of mine used the 'God' stuff (as she puts it) not to attend, but how much of that was her not wanting help, avoidance and denial, begs the question, sadly, last year she died aged 38, she had a son then aged 8. :-(

My personal opinion is, if it works don't knock it. However, it was interesting to read that article, thanks for your response on it.

15. titanic

People like that would have to take responsibility with a prison sentence, it makes you wonder what 'God' they are serving, it clearly says in the Commandments thou shall not murder.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  16. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Nutters are in all walks of life. Would you stop going to supermarkets because a supermarket attendant went on a rampage and killed someone?

You cant be a christian and justify killing someone in the name of Christ. Nutters I say

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  17. titanic

18. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Who says that alcoholism can't be cured without pills or God? Don't fucking drink; it's a hell of a lot harder to do then say but remember why you want to stop and get the willpower there. AA doesn't even give statistics of their success rates. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_edJHURXhw&feature=related

Besides the 'dependence' on pills is not a fair generalization. There are drugs out there doctors give for psychological reasons that are not addictive.

The biggest thing for me, though, is that you basically said 'I'm flexible with the truth' which really bothers me.

19. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

But are children conceived by chance/God not responsibly conceived? I recently found out I was conceived while my mom was on oral contraceptives, but I was still raised in a (more-or-less) loving family. The timing wasn't perfect, but everything still worked out - even though they were actively trying to not have me. Janet's not shirking the responsibility, she just wants it to happen when it happens (or when she chooses to sometime in the future).

She's simply saying she has no plans for children in the near future but she would love them if they came - why should this disgust you?

20. Chargette

This statement indicates choice. Alcoholics love choices. They will continue to drinks when they believe they can choose to stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.