Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by dosFREAK, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dosFREAK

dosFREAK Well-Known Member

Well, for those of you who have been on this forum since or before 2006, you will most likely remember me.
    I still have the exact same ambitions as then, and in fact, I am in Japan right now, and I like it here much better
    than the US, and I will move here soon. I am in college, and I have been criticized for having the dream to go to Japan, just because it is different than your typical "American dream", but one thing people must respect is the wishes of others, yes if someone told me that they wish to go to the same city I was bullied harshly in, I would just wish
    him or her luck, because whatever place makes one upset makes another happy; there is something for everyone.
    Not everyone wants to live the "American dream", there are people out there like myself who believe that whatever dreams one has should approach it, it could be anywhere. The point is that if you feel that you should criticize someone for having a different ambition from yourself, think first. Think about how you would feel if the person next to you curses your dream place like it is horrible, or something of that matter. Thank you for having an open ear
    on this, and cheers!
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

One of my son's wants to go to Japan - he had considered several different programs (teaching English there, etc.) but has not actually taken any serious action that direction yet. Why would people criticize your desire to live in another country? I have never run into people who would behave like that based over a desire to live in another country (I have several friends who want to move to various other countries - it seems a normal desire to me). In fact, many people have a desire to live in "far off lands," so to speak. One should note that in Japan, there is a large desire by the population to emulate many things American, just as there are groups here of American folks who are into various aspects of Japanese culture. The beauty of the "American dream" is that it allows people to go after whatever it is that makes them happy... and so, in effect, your desire to live in Japan really is an aspect of the American dream. Live it.
  3. dosFREAK

dosFREAK Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand where you are coming from. It is a big world out there, and at one point I thought a certain kind of bad people didn't exist that I now know exist, as crazy as it sounds, there are people like that out there, but anyways, it is very beautiful here, and I just finished a hiking trip to the Japanese Alps! It was very nice, indeed. Well, I'm going to bed ever since its 11:40 PM in Japan, take care of yourselves now.
  4. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I remember you being the big otaku guy from years back and wanting to visit Japan, great that you finally did. I am in your boat as well, however, I don't think I will ever go there. My depression and fear is too strong for that, but who knows what will happen? Actually, I know I should be happy for you, yet I'm also truthfully quite jealous and bitter also, haha. Well, good for you. Will you try to get a job there or something?
  5. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

i want to go to Japan too. and live there.... and experience their way of life.
    but im afraid. being rejected. and alone in another country.
    i dont want to be the scary, weird, foreign gaijin. lol
    but theres no way around that is there? :] what do you do for a living?
    Its a dream of mine to be there. everything about it. the streets at night,
    the people everywhere, the clouds in the sky knowing that im seeing them from
    japan, the rice fields, the culture, music, chance to use my japanese..
    >: but i dont want to be an english teacher. Id be too scared.
    I love everything about japan. Its a dream of mine...
    but everyone laughs at me too. hahah
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.