Japan's "Suicide Forest"

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Struggler_, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Struggler_

Struggler_ Active Member

<mod edit TDM -- removed video> I saw this and figured it would be something that people here would be interested in. I thought it was interesting at least. It's long for a Youtube video, but it's a good watch, imo. It's about Aokigahara Forest in Japan, which is also known as Japan's "Suicide Forest" due to the high number of suicides committed there each year.

To avoid this thread being too spammy, just showing a video, please share your thoughts on the video, or why suicide rates in different countries may be so different.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Sorry, but I have had to delete your video. I hope you can understand why.

I don't know how much you know about Japan, but suffice to say, it is complicated and it is different from the Western world. The culture towards suicide there is a little different... it's more... 'tolerated'.

It's a fallacy of sorts of Japanese culture -- in the olden days samurai used to suicide 'honourably' but I cannot remember why off of the top of my head. Probably to prevent capture. Nowadays Japan has one of the highest rates of suicide that I know of, and one of the reasons is that they value conformity. The Japanese have a saying that 'the nail that sticks out is hammered in'. There is a pressure of sorts to acheive, and to fit in at the same time, and those that do not become ashamed, and become shut-ins, or hikikomori. Some end up killing themselves.

Suicide reasons over there are essentially summed up by unemployment, depression and societal pressures. There is/was a 'job-for-life' culture over there. When you are sacked or made redundant prematurely, it can amongst other things bring immense shame to the person's family. Work ethic there is high, and so sometimes also the elderly have a void when they leave work and this can also create depression too.

Japan came into strife when their economic bubble burst. From memory it caused a lot of suicides.

They also have a problem of 'death by overwork' or karoshi... which generally tends to be by stroke or heart attack. Untimely death in Japan is a problem that's often overlooked/hushed up.

Does that kind of answer your question?

TDM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  3. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

When I was in Japan several years ago some mates and I did day trip at the Aokigahara Forest and it was creepy as we were told that the bodies of a married couple were found a week before.

But its not just Japan were this is a problem but also in South Korea and China too as they too as well have suicide rates which I guess for starters one of the reasons is a general reluctance to take about such issues.

4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

To add one possible answer to your question..

Cultural beliefes, the ease and respect for life, economic stress, individuality neglegtion, lack of support. There's alot to go into it. It all depends...

5. synchrohobbit

synchrohobbit Active Member

There is a culture of shame as well, and because it is so much more collectivist than the US or UK, an individual's failure reflects on the people around them. Warriors may commit suicide because they feel they have dishonored whomever. Individualists answer to themselves, so committing suicide would make less sense because you could not correct your mistakes.

6. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I visited this place in 2001 when I was in Japan for a work conference. It was a beautiful yet sad place and you definately get a 'feeling' whilst there, I wasn't quite sure how I felt. Our guide showed us that many people who go there to thake their life often take a ball of string so if they change their mind, they follow the string back to the way out.

7. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

The Asians don't believe they'll go to hell or that it's a sin in any way to commit suicide, so there isn't the fear or stigma surrounding it that there is here. Some might say it's good if we prevent suicide with fear and stigma, but I disagree. It just leads to a lot of people living on in suffering state.

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Japan has 1 million hikikomoris(don't think I spelt that right). Mostly because of shame of not succeeding in the college working world. It is well known that when they do eventally leave their house they cause violence or self harm to themselves. (I read up on this a lot when I never left my home for 5 years). I was practically the same as them. The forest I imagine is a very sad place and R.I.P to those who have died there.

9. kote

kote Account Closed

i live in japan.

:hiding:

10. Null

Null Well-Known Member

thanks for the share. it was pretty interesting. i've often thought about finding a place like that someday for myself.

11. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I've always been interested in suicide in Asia because the rates there are so high. India is another place I've read about, they have a lot of suicides. I think it's societal pressures and a lack of self choice without an incidence of scrutiny attached.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.