Jeez, if someone gave you a thousand dollars, wouldn't you thank him?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Right U R Ken, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Yep, I gave someone a thousand dollars. Long story, but it was coming thru on a promise I made her a while back. Sent it by mail. Heard nothing from her, NOTHING. For a while I wasn't even sure she got it but my check account balance now shows she cashed it.

Even if you were mad at someone wouldn't you at least say "thank you" for a thousand dollars? Hell, even you outright hated the person wouldn't you say something?

If not, what reason would you not thank a person for something like that? Or not even say anything?

Jeez, why am I even on this planet?
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

If someone gave me a thousand dollars, I'd probably thank them close to a thousand times. :hug: I'm sorry she's not acknowledging you.
  3. Right U R Ken

I'm bewildered to say the least.
  4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Dont question yourself over her ignorance. She should of said something. Called, mailed, emailed anything. You did something kind and those that count see that. Hun you've been around here long enough that we know you have a kind and generous heart and soul. Dont doubt who you are or why you're on this planet. Your kind act should show you and prove to you that you belong here! :arms:
  5. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I am poor (incomes 500 and my rent 480 month) and have had situations when I am helped out to pay my rent or something most of by my aunt. It is ok I can take money from my aunt even she want me to struggle. It is called loan even we both know she is going to die before I can pay my loan back to her. She deserve and want I am gratefull and want I send her text message, call her and send a post card. I would hope she let me thank you her once because I mean it and not put me struggle with it. I have got cross stich work for her if I can make it end some day, that is my way to thank her, I can make something for her. When guys offer me something and one offer me money to help once I could not take it. I felt like he waiting for something and just could not take it.

How long time ago that was when you send moneys? Maybe she still think can her keep them or not? Or then she is not nice person at all and really keep them without let you even know she got them. It would be nice to report it goes right account or something. But from you if your relationship is not good for her on the moment and you still kept what you had promise for her, I can only say wow! that is good backbone!

Generally about helping:
    But foremost I recomended people do not say anything to help for anyone or help any other ways if you waiting for another one thank you for that or something else. Do not help if you want something back. Help only if you want to help even nobody even ever get to know you have helped someway. That is my principle, I was allways sad when people "did not see" that I helped. Then I noticed maybe I should help only when thanks is no matter for me. Now that thing not bother for me anymore. I help because I want, not because I want anything back.

I do not know what I try rambling again... Trying to say helping someone or take help from someone is not neccessary easy.
  6. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I think I'd fall in love if someone did that for me. Lol, just kidding.

But seriously, it sucks that they don't seem to be grateful.
  7. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I agree with Sammakko, don't expect things in return if you decide to do it. What is your relationship with her anyway? If it's an ex girlfriend then i would't expect much. I donated $1 to SF, did they ever thank me? NEVER! Outrageous!
  8. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

we have a saying here in holland 'de ene hand wast de andere hand';
    'one hand washes the other hand', im not sure if it is english also, it could be.
    in other words 'help someone and this someone will (have to?) help you back'
    if this is the reason for helping then better leave it, if it doesnt come from your heart and you are expecting something in return; even if it is just a "thx", i think that is the wrong reason for helping
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

It's too bad that she is not acknowledging you. I think that a thank you or at least an acknowledgment is a reasonable expectation.

Try not to take it to heart — some people are just not polite or they feel they are "entitled" to things so they don't appreciate what others do for them.

What others have said above about giving/helping so our own expectations are met is also true, when the motivation for giving or helping is just to get what we want. I think your situation seems to be more a matter of courtesy (or her lack of courtesy) and not of your giving money to her just to get a thank you.
  10. Right U R Ken

A thank you isn't a "thing". And I don't appreciate your sarcasm in the rest of your post.
  11. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

why shouldnt a thank you not be a 'thing' ? for some people saying thx is even harder than giving something in return.
  12. Right U R Ken

Proper manners are not a "thing". And I don't appreciate you trying to argue the point. Go to a debate forum if that's what you're looking for.
  13. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

i agree that thank you isnt a thing, its common sense. But nowadays people forget to be courteous and thankful...

it probably didnt even occur to her to thank you...I would email her and let her know how I feel...dont accuse though but say that it would have been nice to have a thank you and to know that you helped her...

I'm always thankful, even to bus drivers or people who hold the door for can make someone's day just by smiling and saying thank you, have a nice day doesnt cost anything or ask for much...
  14. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I believe a thank you should have been given, but as was mention, for some it can be extremely difficult. That does not excuse the rudeness though. At the very least it should have been acknowledged in some way. Is it possible this person was too embarrassed to say something? For what it is worth, I thank you for the kindness you showed to someone else. :hug: I hope you are the recipient of others kindness as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.