Jim’s aged, fermented, cured Friday Dec 11 2020 Café

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
From what I hear natto is good probiotic-wise too. It is quite aromatic but many really great cheeses are too. But natto somehow is a bit out of the realm of the western palate maybe by it's intimidating sliminess. Yet I came to love it pretty much immediately!

It's not sour. It's actually quite bland considering that its aroma might make you think otherwise and much of the enjoyment happens once you add things that work well with it. Soy sauce, bonito flakes, scallions, finely chopped fresh kale to name a few.
Hmm well I think it worth a shot then! Definitely healthy so Natto is good in my books then!

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Gotta love pickles and cheeses ❤️

I've started making my own kefir which is still at the experimental phase. I started off with kefir water as I wanted to try my dog on it too but he can't tolerate dairy. It was an acquired taste that neither myself or my dog managed to acquire.
I then tried cows milk - edible (drinkable) but only just. Now I'm trying to source goats milk to see if that's any better.
Maybe it would be easier to just buy it *hysterical

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Hey all!
Let's see, fermentation...I learned how to make homemade wine this summer. It was a rather grueling process and came out mediocre at best.
@extraterrestrialone I'm still itching to try dandelion wine, but won't be making it so, I'll be on a mission checking out the local wineshop(s). 🥂😋
i only had a tiny paper cup of dandelion wine when someone who knew someone who made some (while i was still in college) brought some in for the class to try. i think it was a psychology class. it was not too impressive, but not bad!

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Gotta love pickles and cheeses ❤️

I've started making my own kefir which is still at the experimental phase. I started off with kefir water as I wanted to try my dog on it too but he can't tolerate dairy. It was an acquired taste that neither myself or my dog managed to acquire.
I then tried cows milk - edible (drinkable) but only just. Now I'm trying to source goats milk to see if that's any better.
Maybe it would be easier to just buy it *hysterical
i tried kefir once. it was flavored and did not seem real different from buttermilk which i have all the time. (though i hear what is commercially and readily available is actually not buttermilk but just milk with a culture while buttermilk is a cultured or not cultured byproduct of making butter).

when i was a kid, my grandmother would leave milk out on the counter and told me she was making “sour milk”. she drank it, but i never did. she was ok with it. i was afraid of it.

my parents gave me a sip of buttermilk when i was maybe 5 or so. they kept reminding me all my life about the face of disapproval i made after the sip. these days i have buttermilk mixed with orange juice at breakfast often. but like with yogurt these days, i think companies that produce yogurt and buttermilk and probably kefir too, do their best to make it not have the unique “sour”/cultured taste that each actually should have. I think maybe you should keep making it. but maybe whats sold there is different from what is sold here.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
I am making cheese in my refrigerator. What you do is buy a half gallon of milk for cooking (you are not a milk drinker) and then you use half of it and forget about the other half in the fridge for months.
i was just watching someone on youtube the other day, who was making tilsit cheese - a 6 month process i think. it has to be taken care of every day but i do believe that you might get something good (or maybe not) using the half gallon method. i wish i could see the results! sadly, here, we only get the cheese effect when we buy milk at one particular store - and strangely it does not take months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00