Jim's Café ~ Tuesday 2nd March 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hey everyone. :) I hope you're all having a fantastic day, or a very peaceful night! *stars Join us for a morning coffee or tea. What are you up to today?

Feel free to answer whatever you want, or just come say hi and sit with us. *hug So today is :

(1) Read Across America Day : What's a book you'd recommend? What are you reading right now?​
(2) Old Stuff Day : Anything that's been gathering dust that you need to get rid of? Why do you keep it? Will you keep it after answering this question? Any old but significant belongings?​
(3) Fun Facts About Names Day : What are your favourite names? I love names! If you're willing to share, what's the etymology behind yours? or a fun fact about your name?​
(4) Women in Construction Week : I have no question about that, but I wanted to point it out cause it's awesome. :D
(5) Procrastination Week : Any advice for us all procrastinators? :D
(6) Universal Human Beings Week : What's the most beautiful thing about humanity?​
(7) Self-care Day : Okay, that's not true... but I needed a 7th one and I wanted you to do something positive for yourself today, so what is it you plan on doing? :) If you need ideas, it's also "Banana Cream Pie Day", "Read an E-book Week", "Write a Letter Appreciation Week" and "British Pie Week". Have fun!​

Feel free to invite your friends I haven't tagged (my list was a bit random) and a new member you haven't met yet. Also, feel free to volunteer to open tomorrow's Jim's Café. It's fun! *stars

Jane65

Thanks for the invite. I dont have much energy to reply but
1. The book I am VERY slowly rereading at the moment is A Return To Love by Marianne Williamson, is a reflection on the book A Course In Miracles.

2. Old stuff... I dont like clutter so regularly dejunk but at the moment I have heaps of stuff waiting to go to the tip and I need to clean out my lift again. Whenever I purchase something I always keep the packaging for at least 12mths in case I have need to return it. I have well more than 12mths of packaging... I have a small mountain...the box from the 5yr old tv, boxes from 3 sewing machines and yes this woman really does need three totally different types of sewing machines... but not there boxes lol and that is the tip of the mountain! When the landfill sites reopen I think I could fill a whole cardboard slip on my own.

That's enough... I dont have answers for the rest anyway.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thanks Auri for the Cafe, and the invitel. Im curious where you found these days, which site? (I usually end up using https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/2021/03/01/ but it doesnt mention a lot of these)

(1) Read Across America Day : What's a book you'd recommend? What are you reading right now?​
Depends on the person.​
For easy reading: The "Space Team" book series. by Barry J. Hutchison​
- Aliens try to make a Suicide Squad of sorts of the universe's greatest bad buys and end up abducting an epically annoying con-man from earth instead of the prolific cannibal they were after, Now his only choice for survival is to play along and hope they find out. Oh, and save the universe of course.​
For Cognitive Sci Fi: "We are Legion (We are Bob)" by Dennis E. Taylor (and the rest of the Bobbiverse series)​
A Sci Fi nerd dies just after signing up from cryogenics, then his personality gets revived far in the future as a computer program and asked to explore the galaxy as a self replicating probe.​
For a curious look into Autism, "Rubberneckers" by Belinda Bauer​
A kid with aspergers (on the heavy side of the spectrum) trains to become a coroner in his efforts to understand the process of death, specifically what is lost when a person dies and becomes a body. Whilst in med school he discovers his first cadavar didnt die of natural causes at all, but was murdered, and people he does not know are moving to make sure he doesnt spread this secret.​
For Zombie Lovers, or jus those who like a good societal critique: "The Girl with all the Gifts" By Mike Carey (Do NOT watch the film!)​
Genuinely creepy, thrilling, heart-warming and more, this book explores what it means to be human, from the perspective of a little girl attending a school where all the kids wear chains and muzzles, and all the teachers look scared.​
Seriously I have so many more, if you want a recommendation for any of the following, let me know:​
- Gritty Crime story about magic (The Dresden Files series)​
- Gritty Crime story about Toytown (Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse)​
- Story about an astronaut stranded on mars (The Martian) (also one of the only ones where the film did the book justice)​
- Story about what it means to be human, and what it means to be not. with a zombie ISH twist to it. (Parasitology series)​
- War for the survival of earth with some EPIC fucking characters! (The Expeditionary Force series)​
- Post Apocalpse in Russia (Metro series)​
- Post Apocalypse in Britain (End of the world Running Club)​
- Post Apocalypse in Bunkers (Wool series) This one is really good, no really.​
- A story about death and paperwork (You are Dead, Sign Here Please series)​
- Book about a kid who is NOT (yet) a serial killer who finds a REAL monster to hunt (The John Cleaver Series)​
- Trek Spoof story about how Star Trek stories NEVER make sense (Redshirts)​
Seriously. Too many good books, but I am DEFINITELY going to be looking out for some other people's answers on this question :D
(2) Old Stuff Day : Anything that's been gathering dust that you need to get rid of? Why do you keep it? Will you keep it after answering this question? Any old but significant belongings?​
Im a bit of a hoarder, not terribly so, but just a little, so I still have all my old trophies, my shirt from primary school on my last day (not sure if this is common, but in my primary school we all sign each other's shirts with messages on our last day), old tech that Im convinced will still have a use, my notes from university... and no, I dont think I can throw these out (especially my notes, I paid tends of thousands and opened myself up to depression to take those notes damn it!)​
(3) Fun Facts About Names Day : What are your favourite names? I love names! If you're willing to share, what's the etymology behind yours? or a fun fact about your name?​
I like names with great levels of variation and personalisation, that way whoever has them can simply choose the one which fist the best:​
Katherine > Katy > Kat > Kathy > Rina​
William > Will > Willy > Bill > Billy​
Names like that, I think it allows a person to let their name reflect them without having to abandon their own name.​
(4) Women in Construction Week : I have no question about that, but I wanted to point it out cause it's awesome. :D
Women can work in construction sure, if they can work in construction. If a woman can keep up, she has every right to be there, if a man cant keep up, he has no right to be there, Meritocracy, best person for the job.​
Hold on, I posted this in chat...​
1. Dont focus on doing a task, focus on the physical movements involved. Dont clean the dishes, extend your arm and close your hand around the sponge, then extend the other arm and close your hand to grip a plate, then bring the two together and start scrubbing. It helps.​
2. Avoid doing something by doing something ELSE productive, that way the 2nd productive thing doesnt feel like youre doing something but AVOIDING doing something, which is MUCH easier, then if you can just use your momentum to slowly shift what you are doing to include the task you originally avoided doing.​
3. Set ultimatums, dont let yourself do something you enjoy until you have done the thing you are avoiding and STICK to it.​
4. Call someone who will do you a favour, tell then you are struggling with procrastination and that it is serious, and that you are going to do task XXX now and you will be finished by a certain time, ask the person you called to call back then and check on you.​
5. Fins someone who doesnt mind being domineering and get them to tell you off and MAKE you do your work :P​
(6) Universal Human Beings Week : What's the most beautiful thing about humanity?​
The truly broken people, they tend to be the kindest and most considerate of all. It is hard to bear causing pain or allowing pain to be caused to others when you are all too familiar with pain yourself. Thats why I like it here on SF so much.​
(7) Self-care Day : Okay, that's not true... but I needed a 7th one and I wanted you to do something positive for yourself today, so what is it you plan on doing? :) If you need ideas, it's also "Banana Cream Pie Day", "Read an E-book Week", "Write a Letter Appreciation Week" and "British Pie Week". Have fun!​
It IS world compliment day... just saying... oh wait, that as yesterday.​

Last edited:

Dinolaur

Human by day, Dino by night
Staff Alumni
Thankyou for inviting me @Auri *stars

my answers to your questions are:

(1) Read Across America Day : What's a book you'd recommend? What are you reading right now? I honestly don’t read that much which is naughty of me. But I brought a new book last week it’s called “the sight of you” so I’ll see how that goes.
(2) Old Stuff Day : Anything that's been gathering dust that you need to get rid of? Why do you keep it? Will you keep it after answering this question? Any old but significant belongings? I am awful for keeping old clothes that used to fit, in the hope that one day it’ll fit! Will I get rid of them? Probably not :D
(3) Fun Facts About Names Day : What are your favourite names? I love names! If you're willing to share, what's the etymology behind yours? or a fun fact about your name? personally I hate my name but I’ll give you a fact about it anyway :) “ Lauren may mean the “Laurel tree, wisdom or sweet and honour” I’ll let you decide on that one ;)
(4) Women in Construction Week : I have no question about that, but I wanted to point it out cause it's awesome. :D heck yeah it’s awesome :D
(5) Procrastination Week : Any advice for us all procrastinators? :D no advice really! Just hope that you find it in you to do whatever it is that needs to be done *grouphug2
(6) Universal Human Beings Week : What's the most beautiful thing about humanity? the most beautiful thing about humanity is that we can transform our pain into wisdom :)
(7) Self-care Day : Okay, that's not true... but I needed a 7th one and I wanted you to do something positive for yourself today, so what is it you plan on doing? :) If you need ideas, it's also "Banana Cream Pie Day", "Read an E-book Week", "Write a Letter Appreciation Week" and "British Pie Week". Have fun! my self care involves actually doing something I need to do to keep me going. Like diamond painting, although I do it a lot for fun, it keeps my mind so occupied I forget about my paranoid, and I forget about my anxiety or depression or whatever it is that’s bugging me on that day :)

Have fun wherever you are today! I’m off to bed :) night all

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
What's on the menu at this cafe?
Coffee prepared the exact way you like it
Tea prepared with love
Pancakes with your favourite topping
Anything else that pleases you ;)

I'll come back to this cafe and say something about this later ;):D
No problem, I'll remind you in PM. :p

(5) Procrastination Week

Thanks for the tag @Auri . Forgive me for not answering those questions posed but I'm currently in the process of observing procrastination week.
All good. I'll consider this your act of self-care. *brohug

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Feel free to answer whatever you want, or just come say hi and sit with us. *hug
this tea is so inviting!!! even for a bunny! even for an extrawhachamacallit, even for a dan-delion
i’m here one way or another. but i’ll be back for breakfast in about 13 and a half hours too!
(3) Fun Facts About Names Day : What are your favourite names? I love names! If you're willing to share, what's the etymology behind yours? or a fun fact about your name?
i like the name Sarah. don’t ask me why. there are so many reasons! my name happens to be dan. i don’t exactly like daniel but i do like dandelions. that might seem weird as i think someone once pointed out. but the name means tooth of the lion and i like that. there is an ancient legend that the dandelion is the symbol for perseverence. hmm, i wonder who thought that up? (i actually said this somewhere yesterday but i can’t remember where. may have been in a competitors Café? i also have said it many times before. hey are those lump sugar in the saucer or croutons? anyway daniel appears more than once in the bible and i don’t know if he ever met Sarah who i think also appears more than once. but i don’t know much about that like maybe i should. i’m gunna have dinner soon so please save some pancakes, croissants etc and i’ll be back for an early morning breakfast once early morning arrives here in nyc. see you soon with the 🌞🌞🌞 rise...

A_J_R

1) Read Across America Day : What's a book you'd recommend? What are you reading right now?

I'd recommend anything by Bret Easton Ellis. He's so dark and wonderful. Lunar Park and Less Than Zero are my favorites. But I can't recommend anything now, I tend to read mostly cultural and film theory essays. I haven't read a book in a while.

(2) Old Stuff Day : Anything that's been gathering dust that you need to get rid of? Why do you keep it? Will you keep it after answering this question? Any old but significant belongings?

I'm in the process of moving. Got rid of a few things from my childhood, and it wasn't painful at all. I mostly keep things because they remind me of my parents, but I have too much stuff, so I'm whittling down what has real meaning and what I just took from the house after they died.

(3) Fun Facts About Names Day : What are your favourite names? I love names! If you're willing to share, what's the etymology behind yours? or a fun fact about your name?

Male: Donovan
Female: Christiane

That's a good week. I like to work out, so I appreciate anyone who works in construction!

I was told by a therapist to just do what you're putting off for five minutes. Like, the act of doing it will help, and often you will get into it and go past the 5 minutes you committed yourself to. It helps.

(6) Universal Human Beings Week : What's the most beautiful thing about humanity?

This is a tough one, because I'm so heartbroken over someone these days. But it was beautiful to love him in a way I didn't know I could love anyone. The ability to feel that deeply is amazing. I hurt that deeply because of it, but I'm not sure I'd do things differently knowing what I know now.

(7) Self-care Day : Okay, that's not true... but I needed a 7th one and I wanted you to do something positive for yourself today, so what is it you plan on doing? :) If you need ideas, it's also "Banana Cream Pie Day", "Read an E-book Week", "Write a Letter Appreciation Week" and "British Pie Week". Have fun!

I am helping a friend today and it feels good. Not sure that's self care, but it's what I got.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
1) Read Across America Day : What's a book you'd recommend? What are you reading right now?

Recommendation would include all of Jules Verne but I have always been a fan of his and like older Sci-Fi. Currently reading The Battle of Jutland by H. H. Frost.

(2) Old Stuff Day : Anything that's been gathering dust that you need to get rid of? Why do you keep it? Will you keep it after answering this question? Any old but significant belongings?

Around here, mainly me, old and gathering dust. LOL. A couple of weeks ago when the storms hit Texas I did checkout and make certain that some old Dearborn propane space heaters still worked just in case the power went off. They did and are probably 60 years old. When my grandparents built this house they insisted on having gas jets in various places. Of course you light those up you have to tend them closely.

One favorite name is Hannibal whether for Barca, Lecter or Smith(A-Team). My name is Gaelic for Handsome and I say that sure don't apply to me.

I love it. A woman should be able to have any job she can perform well at.

Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow. :)

(6) Universal Human Beings Week : What's the most beautiful thing about humanity?

That most typically will help others if they can.

(7) Self-care Day : Okay, that's not true... but I needed a 7th one and I wanted you to do something positive for yourself today, so what is it you plan on doing? :) If you need ideas, it's also "Banana Cream Pie Day", "Read an E-book Week", "Write a Letter Appreciation Week" and "British Pie Week". Have fun!

I had beer with pizza today. Both beer and pizza are positives.

GFS

Good morning!

Thanks for volunteering to open the cafe and for the tag, @Auri. *hug
Wish you a peaceful night and a fantastic week.

Tao Te Ching.​

An old computer and a broken laptop. Because I keep procrastinating to get rid of them.
Some books. Ok, like lots of books. They used to be significant but I can't concentrate (and even bothered) to read anymore. So I guess I'm gonna get rid of those some day too.​

I am fascinated by Ancient Greek names. Mostly related to Greek Mythology. Female names like Lea, Rhea, Tea (no, it's not pronounced like tea in English lol). And also some Latin names too, like Mark.

1614642930613.png

Take your time. ;)

It can change. It can adapt. It can improve itself. It can change other animals (domesticating them or even learn them to follow commands) and it can even change nature.​

I got some sleep. Yes, I needed it.

Feel free to invite your friends I haven't tagged (my list was a bit random)
@Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @Walker @sinking_ship @HappyKitty

and a new member you haven't met yet.
@stewart99

Also, feel free to volunteer to open tomorrow's Jim's Café. It's fun! *stars
Maybe some other day. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00