In the SF doghouse with Burt
Welcome one and all to Jim's Café, the sanctuary for the long suffering sane from the madness of the modern world.
Hi all, I havent done a Jim's Cafe in while as my PC is in pieces, but its been like that for over a month, so I thought "screw it" and made this cafe, luckily I was able to download the header from my previous cafe.
In all honesty, I went to my favourite resource for these cafe's "https://www.daysoftheyear.com/" and found out that today is crap (unless you really love trail mix) so I will be making it up this time, but first, some relaxing background music (I like jazz, so sue me).
For those of you unfamiliar with my Cafes, I like to start with some "fun" facts and then invite my guests to sit at one of the many tables and enjoy the menu of prepared questions. If you have had your fill at one table and wish to try another, feel free to do so, and for anyone who doesnt feel like answering loads of questions, head on over to The Bar and chilll.
I figured I would go with some history facts today, less fun, more interesting with occasional ridiculous:
1) Possibly the most successful pirate in history was a lady called Ching Shih, she began life from humble origins and became a prostitute before being bought by and married to the leader of a pirate confederation named Zheng Yi. Far from looking down on her, her husband considered her his equal and she became an active pirate commander before eventually taking over the whole confederation after his death. (The pirate confederation spanned some 400 ships and 40,000 - 60,000 pirates).
2) In World War 2 a Great Dane named Juliana earned the Blue Cross medal for extinguishing an incendiary bomb by peeing on it.
3) Abraham Lincoln had gained some notoriety even before his presidency as a wrestling star in his early 20s and even now holds spot in the wrestling hall of fame for his only 1 loss in over 300 contests, including against county champion Jack Armstrong who he KOed by slamming him to the mat in anger after Armstrong kept fouling him.
4) In 1386, a pig attacked a child in France who went on to die later from their wounds. The pig was arrested, kept in prison, and then sent to court where it stood trial for murder, was found guilty and then executed by hanging.
5) The University of Oxford is older than the Aztec Empire. The University of Oxford first opened its doors to students all the way back in 1096. By comparison, the Aztec Empire is said to have originated with the founding of the city of Tenochtitlán at Lake Texcoco by the Mexica which occurred in the year 1325.
There is no menu here, just a strange little A.I. called Bob who has some rather awkward questions to ask about life.
1) What is beauty?
2) What is friendship?
3) What is pain?
4) What is pleasure?
5) What is the purpose of football?
Sit, relax and select from our expansive menu of hobby questions.
1) What is your current favourite hobby/interest.
2) What hobby do you find really interesting but havent managed to get into yet?
3) What hobby/interest did you used to have but dont anymore?
4) Have you ever had a hobby which you turned into something valuable and practical?
5) When was the last time you tried something new?
Sit, and sink your teeth into our history questions.
1) Which modern technology do you think would have helped out at key points in history?
2) Whats your favourite period of History?
3) If you could live in any period of history, which would you choose?
4) If you could choose to take any aspect of the modern world (tech/laws/services etc) with you to your chosen period, what would you take?
5) Which historical figure do you most wish you meet, and punch? (spiked knuckle dusters, mace and more are fair game).
A quiet and cozy place for people to simply say Hi and chat.
1) Say Hi.
3) Tag someone.
Ok people, the Cafe only exists when someone decides to open it. Anyone who wishes to open one is welcome to do so (just try not to double book with someone else) and they can be on any topic, so if you have an idea, or just havent seen one in a while, feel free to start a cafe and invite everyone.