Jim's Cafe Sunday, Dec. 20, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Good morning/afternoon or evening depending where you live in the world. I though I'd open up a cafe'. It's a cold Sunday here, East coast USA. I've been by myself most of the weekend, slept, but I thought we could use a distraction, because Christmas, the holidays, while pretty and all can be depressing.

Did you know tomorrow is the first day a Winter? How bout some questions SF friends?

Also, Its National Hard Candy Day and Oatmeal Muffin Day, so I'll "steal" some questions from that theme.

1) Do you have any fond or even not great memories of outdoor winter activities?

2) If you had a 2lb bag and could fill it up with candies, what would you fill it with?

3) What are you 3 favorite muffins in order?

4) If you could open any business what would it be and where?

5) Do you have a favorite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important?

6) snowballfight, I'm tagging @extraterrestrialone @JMG @KM76710 @MosesY @Autumn1973 @sinking_ship @cymbele @Human Ex Machinae @Walker @Inya @Blue Star @Nick @Quietus @MisterBGone @Auri Screenshot_20201220-094948_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201220-094809_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Looks like snow @Lane but I guess it's too "warm" to snow and besides, i always hope that somehow we can always have a little 🌞🌞🌞. Maybe this and some rain'll wash away the mess from the other day. sure glad its so nice and warm inside the café. warm in food, room temperature and spirit! love it! thanks! 😊 happy to be here, thanks for the invite!

now about these Qs...

Did you know tomorrow is the first day a Winter? How bout some questions SF friends? the end of december has two very important days for me other than the holidays and the change of season. (hint - it has to do with the kids)

Also, Its National Hard Candy Day and Oatmeal Muffin Day, so I'll "steal" some questions from that theme.

1) Do you have any fond or even not great memories of outdoor winter activities? well, once upon a time it would snow fairly heavily here in good ole nyc. and who better to shovel the snow but the kids? then there was the necessary snow ball fight... both good and bad and at an age when just being out there was fun and amazing...

2) If you had a 2lb bag and could fill it up with candies, what would you fill it with? treacle brittle. i’m always talking about smarties, circus peanuts and maybe mounds but really they are all second to treacle brittle.

3) What are you 3 favorite muffins in order? i honestly think corn muffins hold the first two spots. distantly followed by blueberry (provided that they are made right).

4) If you could open any business what would it be and where? a corn muffin & treacle brittle shop in a winter wonderland!!!

5) Do you have a favorite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important? the Café of course! there are others too but i’m not sure i can say any one is less important than another.

6) snowballfight, I'm tagging...

comin’ at ya...
CA5A358C-512F-42E4-B3E8-F171851CC9D4.jpeg
👽

Last edited:

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Thanks for the tag @Lane :)

I've brought along some warming winter drinks for everyone - mulled wine and hot chocolate

65c7eaa5591eba6bd54e0e933aa9873348a65bf4.jpg

Vegan-hot-chocolate-recipe-1400x919-d8405b92-a14c-4105-8fcd-ccf276086cb3-0-1400x919.jpg

Now for the questions...

1) Do you have any fond or even not great memories of outdoor winter activities?
I remember as a teenager going sledging with friends on an extremely steep hill which was very popular with all the local kids. My friend took the bonnet (hood) off of his car and six of us all piled on and off we went. It went soooo fast and was so large compared to all the sledges that we sent nearly everyone else running for their lives. Sadly we couldn't stop and ended up in the water filled ditch at the bottom. But it was worth it.

2) If you had a 2lb bag and could fill it up with candies, what would you fill it with?
Probably flying saucers, pink shrimps and foam bananas.
I would also like to fill a bag with poppycock. The only place I've ever seen it in the UK is Costco but they haven't stocked it for the last couple of years. I've searched online on American candy and grocery stores but can't find it there either. Maybe it's not made anymore. Christmas isn't Christmas without poppycock :(

There's a local coffee shop that makes lemon and poppyseed ones that are just divine. After that probably blueberry then chocolate.

I'd love to open a community cafe where we'd sell fab coffee and cakes and hold regular events like a weekly book club, craft sessions etc. I'd also exhibit and sell items from local artists and craftspeople.

5) Do you have a favorite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important?
I love all of it.

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
]Good morning/afternoon or evening depending where you live in the world. I though I'd open up a cafe'. It's a cold Sunday here, East coast USA. I've been by myself most of the weekend, slept, but I thought we could use a distraction, because Christmas, the holidays, while pretty and all can be depressing.

I am relaxing the rest of the day, eating dinner and then going to bed. I am watching "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. I tried "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" but I find the acting amateur and the plot line boring.

Did you know tomorrow is the first day a Winter? How bout some questions SF friends?

We used to butcher a pig and a beef in the winter, it was hard work at the time but I look back at the table fare we had and remember it fondly.

Reeses peanut butter cups.

I don't like muffins.

A woodworking business after the style of James Krenov

All are important, especially the chat.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thank you @Lane for the tag. Having a lazy day today. Went food shopping this morning and spent the afternoon sitting on the sofa doing some more of my cross stitch. Nearly there and then my daughter is going to make it into a bag for me. When this is finished I’m going to start a quilting project to make a blanket. It’s helps to keep me hands busy and makes me stop and be calm. I can’t just sit but this seems to help.

37E588B1-A95A-427B-8392-19AC57E37C74.jpeg

As for the questions,

Perhaps one winter memory. When I was little at home. It snowed a lot and the world seemed very different. You know how everything seems quieter when it snows. I have a photo of my dad wearing his 1970s style jumper. He looked young and was holding Dimity, our cat, and he looked happy. Nothing extraordinary about the memory. Just a happy one of my dad.

2) If you had a 2lb bag and could fill it up with candies, what would you fill it with? Im more of a chocolate person. Particularly creams. Either strawberry cream or coffee cream flavoured chocolates.

3) What are you 3 favourite muffins in order?
I’m quite boring when it comes to muffins. Probably chocolate chip, apple crumble and strawberry cream.

I run a business already as well as a full time teaching job. We sell all over the world and one day will retire from teaching and work solely on the business. Mine is the oddest business you can imagine but it works and people seem to like it.

5) Do you have a favourite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important?
I love this forum. I find I can release the thoughts in my head. I particularly like the threads for how are you feeling now and how suicidal are you 1-10. When that feeling is building up just being able to say that I don’t want to be here helps to release the pressure. Getting hugs back is nice too. I like checking that you guys are ok or giving hugs when you’re not. It’s somewhere to go which has nothing to do with anyone in my real life where I don't have to pretend.

Hope everyone is ok today, sending lots of hugs. *grouphug2 xx

cymbele

SF Supporter
Also on the East coast of USA. It is supposed to be snows squalls but have been piling up with snow. The last cookie batch is done. Last night was kind of neat: I was sitting in the living room feeling very alone when a stream of about 10 cars came up the street all decorated with Christmas lights and honking. It was something that brightened my spirits.

Now to the questions:
1) Do you have any fond or even not great memories of outdoor winter activities? I have so many outdoor experiences and fond ones. Honestly the recent ones of me snowshoeing are not so much fun as I struggle more and more as the years come by.

2) If you had a 2lb bag and could fill it up with candies, what would you fill it with? M&Ms -the caramel ones. Coffee is also very good. By the way I still have a 2 lb bag of M&Ms from the baby shower but I don't need the calories.

3) What are you 3 favorite muffins in order? Orange cranberry, blueberry, and apple cinnamon.

4) If you could open any business what would it be and where? Dunno if I would start a business - I like a 9 to 5 job and leaving it behind at the end of the day. Businesses require dedication and I'm not that interested.

5) Do you have a favorite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important? All is important. My favorite section of course is the cafe but it is least important as sometimes I need to vent or be heard through my misery or just check in with my SF friends.

Have a great Sunday!

lightning05

I grew up in the Northeast and I have fond memories of sledding in the winter time. I do look back fondly on shoveling snow but that was because I was younger and had more energy lol

Mike and Ikes

Lemon poppyseed, blueberry, chocolate chip

Bookstore in a small city

The forums for major/petty complaints so we don't have to start new threads to vent about those types of things. It's a good space.

Last edited:

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
@Lane thank you for the tag! *hug

Hmm.... Can't think of any in particular. .

Licorice all sorts and blackjack chewies

Chocolate with Choco chip
Lemon
Poppyseed

4) If you could open any business what would it be and where? Idk...

5) Do you have a favorite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important?.. I'm kind of randomly all over.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
1) Do you have any fond or even not great memories of outdoor winter activities? Out in nature, camping, hunting and fishing with a bit of chill in the air, makes you feel and know that men have nipples too. LOL

2) If you had a 2lb bag and could fill it up with candies, what would you fill it with? Either simple dark chocolate or wild cherry Lifesaver's both are a treat I enjoy.

3) What are you 3 favorite muffins in order? Anything with chocolate, cinnamon or berries.

4) If you could open any business what would it be and where? Outfitter and hunting guide, perhaps where I have family in Idaho, Colorado or Montana.

5) Do you have a favorite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important? All have their merits, the Cafe is the most fun. Perhaps the most important are the introduction ones, new members since they will share and hopefully will find that they have joined a place where people do understand and aren't just parroting the words and may stick around and join in and find some peace here especially if members really make them welcome.

Autumn1973

Looking for people who will accept me for who I am
Good morning/afternoon or evening depending where you live in the world. I though I'd open up a cafe'. It's a cold Sunday here, East coast USA. I've been by myself most of the weekend, slept, but I thought we could use a distraction, because Christmas, the holidays, while pretty and all can be depressing.

6) snowballfight, I'm tagging @extraterrestrialone @JMG @KM76710 @MosesY @Autumn1973 @sinking_ship @cymbele @Human Ex Machinae @Walker @Inya @Blue Star @Nick @Quietus @MisterBGone @Auri View attachment 41279 View attachment 41280
1. Standing outside at night just after a fresh snow - about one foot - and looking at a canvas covering everything around me, undisturbed by footprints or tracks of any kind, just pure perfection, and how beautifully quiet it was. Just...pure, pretty peace.

2. My 2lb bag would be filled with nothing but dark chocolate M&Ms.

3. Chocolate chocolate chip, chocolate chocolate chip, chocolate chocolate chip.

4. A clinic dedicated to helping fellow outcasts, where they're free to be themselves and get the help they need. Not sure where I'd want it to be.

5. Suicidal thoughts and feelings.

Thanks for the invitation to the cafe. Big hug.

Autumn

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Looks like snow @Lane but I guess it's too "warm" to snow and besides, i always hope that somehow we can always have a little 🌞🌞🌞. Maybe this and some rain'll wash away the mess from the other day. sure glad its so nice and warm inside the café. warm in food, room temperature and spirit! love it! thanks! 😊 happy to be here, thanks for the invite!

now about these Qs...

Did you know tomorrow is the first day a Winter? How bout some questions SF friends? the end of december has two very important days for me other than the holidays and the change of season. (hint - it has to do with the kids)

1) Do you have any fond or even not great memories of outdoor winter activities? well, once upon a time it would snow fairly heavily here in good ole nyc. and who better to shovel the snow but the kids? then there was the necessary snow ball fight... both good and bad and at an age when just being out there was fun and amazing...

2) If you had a 2lb bag and could fill it up with candies, what would you fill it with? treacle brittle. i’m always talking about smarties, circus peanuts and maybe mounds but really they are all second to treacle brittle.

3) What are you 3 favorite muffins in order? i honestly think corn muffins hold the first two spots. distantly followed by blueberry (provided that they are made right).

4) If you could open any business what would it be and where? a corn muffin & treacle brittle shop in a winter wonderland!!!

5) Do you have a favorite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important? the Café of course! there are others too but i’m not sure i can say any one is less important than another.

6) snowballfight, I'm tagging...

comin’ at ya...
View attachment 41287
👽
i love circus peanuts and mounds....mike...*hug*shake

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
thank you for opening the cafe @Lane and i'm crashing the party since i wasn't invited lol.

1. winter : we used to have a trailer at the lake at a campground. the owners were nice and let us camp in the winter. we had to bring our own water but that's ok. we had 2 golf carts and a go kart at camp. my 2 sons and i loved playing bumper cars on the ice with them.

2. 2lb. candy bag : peanut butter m&m s, circus peanuts, and mounds bars.

3. muffins : not much for muffins but corn, blueberry, chocolate chip

4. business : discount food items, try to make food more affordable

5. favorite SF section : i think that most of them are good

mike

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Tysm for tagging me @Lane & for opening the cafe today :) Fun q's, here's my answers.
PS - Yup I do know that tomorrow is the first day of winter, also the shortest day of the year but after that it will slowly stay lighter longer which I will be glad about :)

Slipping and falling on my butt more than once on slippery ice. Lucky I didn't break or sprain anything though at least.
It was fun when we got snow and my sis & I would go sledding so that is a better/happier memory actually lol. One time we brought our kitty too (had him bundled up in my jacket, so adorable).

Kinder bueno chocolate bars, Lindt chocolate bars (almond) and Ferrero Rochers. Yum! :)

3) What are your 3 favorite muffins in order?

Chocolate chip, blueberry, regular/plain with butter. I don't eat them very much though.

The best fashion store the world ever saw with the best, nicest and most practical but still fun clothes. They'd all have the best patterns, fabrics and everything else but well made and affordable. Would be fun to open it in California somewhere but if not then I guess just near me, hope it would be successful.

Gameroom is where I go most. I come in this forum every day as well but only for the cafe. Oh and the diary one I like it there too :)

Inya

babaya gayolera
Thanks for opening and inviting me @Lane ;)

Do you have any fond or even not great memories of outdoor winter activities?
I have many good memories, when I was little it used to snow every winter and I loved it. Every kid had a wooden sledge and we also went skiing with school all the time.
When I grew up my best outdoor winter activity turned out to be drinking mulled wine and mead at the street stalls. And sometimes…this is where I tested my new hiking boots.

27913214_1707826919284810_3489355320857265665_o.jpg

If you had a 2lb bag and could fill it up with candies, what would you fill it with?
I have no idea how big is 2lb bag haha…anyway, I don’t like any candy that isn’t chocolate so I’d fill it with Ferrero Rochers and Mozartkugels.

What are you 3 favorite muffins in order?
Chocolate and blueberry are the only ones I ever tasted.

If you could open any business what would it be and where?
Hell no, I wouldn’t. I closed it a few years ago.

Do you have a favorite section(s) of the forum that you like or think is important?
No, I’m not even sure what I’m doing here. I mostly show up in the Café.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00