Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Good morning/afternoon SF friends.
*hiya
Welcome to the cafe' today

*starsI hope you all are feeling all right. I'm up early so figured I'd open and ask a few questions to get the brains and convo goin . πŸ™ƒ The holidays are upon us so let's keep the support going.

1) What makes up a culture? Do you feel connected to yours? Why, why not? πŸ‘ΈπŸ‘±β€β™€οΈπŸ‘³β€β™‚οΈπŸ€΅πŸ’‚β€β™€οΈ

2) How do you deal with people who disagree with you?

3) Do you think regrets can be a good thing? Bad thing?

4) what genre of movies and/or books do you especially like such as romance, horror, sci-fi, etc? What are you watching or reading lately?

5) Todays national Lemon Merengue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to know)πŸ’πŸŠπŸŽ

Thank you for answering. tagging @Angie @Legate Lanius @KindaOtiose @Autumn1973 @Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @cynicgoat @BlueGreen @Sunspots @Auri @Walker @extraterrestrialone @KM76710 @MosesY @Jolene @PrincessPure @Inya @pooky @LOSTINSIGHT Screenshot_20201129-055314_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201129-054509_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I like that sign, that would be a nice thing to wake up to :D

1) What makes up a culture? Do you feel connected to yours? Why, why not?
The traditions and everything else. I guess I am typically American in some ways, but not in others.

Depends on how badly we're disagreeing. Usually I just let them have their opinions and tune them out.

Both I guess. You can regret something but it could be bad for you.

4) what genre of movies and/or books do you especially like such as romance, horror, sci-fi, etc? What are you watching or reading lately?
Pretty much anything, but lots of horror and comedy. Just watching the usual stuff and haven't read an actual book in months.

5) Todays national Lemon Merengue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to know)
Anything with chocolate is tops, I also like pumpkin, pecan, and others. Not sure if I have a least fave. Well there's one called water pie and that just sounds weird.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter

The traditions and everything else. I guess I am typically American in some ways, but not in others.

Depends on how badly we're disagreeing. Usually I just let them have their opinions and tune them out.

Pretty much anything, but lots of horror and comedy. Just watching the usual stuff and haven't read an actual book in months.

5) Todays national Lemon Merengue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to know)
Anything with chocolate is tops, I also like pumpkin, pecan, and others. Not sure if I have a least fave. Well there's one called water pie and that just sounds weird.
Another chocolate girl! What!?! 😁

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter

*hysterical Yeah, I saw n had to post!

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
1. A culture makes up the history, holidays, dress style, religion, closeness of family. I dont really have it since I was in foster care. But I know my foster mother loved me, raised me atheist.

2. People who disagree, I'm glad that I live in a place where we can openly disagree. Recently my boss got loud because I differed from her then called me out, I was a little embarrassed. I said, I'll talk about it over a drink outside of work. If I'm attacked outside if work, maybe I'll walk away. Depends on my mood I guess.

3. Only when you can move past them. But the years it takes away from your life isnt worth it.(regrets)

I still live with them.

4. I read, like thrillers and historical fiction. Yesterday watched, Birds of Prey. Reading a James Patterson mystery left in book bin at work.

5. Pumpkin pie, w cool whip. Then cherry.

Legate Lanius

1) What makes up a culture? Do you feel connected to yours? Why, why not? πŸ‘ΈπŸ‘±β€β™€οΈπŸ‘³β€β™‚οΈπŸ€΅πŸ’‚β€β™€οΈ

Thanks for the invite.

1. Well, it has to have people for a start. Then it also has to have some stuff that's different from the common attributes of every nation/continent/city/etc. So that people drink water wouldn't be a part of a culture, but kissing each other on the cheek/ bowing would be a part of it. Also food, fashion and music, entertainment etc.

I don't feel connected to my culture at all since I do not feel connected to people in general.

2. Tell them why they're wrong.

3. Mostly bad.

4. Not a big book or movie guy, more of a anime and video games guy.

pardon me for sounding ignorant but I honestly don't really know? I guess the traditions, history, routines, values, community, shared beliefs.

I either get embarrassingly over-defensive and feel the need to write an essay explaining my pov and I won't give in cause I feel like we have to agree otherwise I'm stupid or worse than them or something which makes no logical sense just my stupid sensitive brain and self-esteem issues or something.... or I just let it go, don't bother to debate it, stay quiet or pretend I agree with them to keep the peace. I'm too sensitive, my natural reaction to someone disagreeing with me is to feel embarrassed like I'm an idiot and I hate it. It varies I guess, there are times I can be very rational and simply acknowledge their pov and try to see things from their perspective and I just agree to disagree with no fuss. I can shrug it off and it doesn't effect me

They're good to help you learn a lesson and grow as a person, I'm not sure we'd learn as well without regrets, but overall I feel like they're bad cause they can play on your mind for a long time and make you feel down/damage your self-esteem some. I personally beat myself up for ages, even years later sometimes

Thrillers, horrors, disasters.

5) Todays national Lemon Merengue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to know)πŸ’πŸŠπŸŽ
I don't think I've ever eaten a pie *shock

Auri

🎸🎢Metal Star🎡πŸ₯
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hi @Lane , thank you for opening the CafΓ© (and tagging me) *hug Nice to be up early, I was too, but I stayed in bed for a loooong time. *facepalm I don't like Sundays...

The environment, the history, a set of traditions, beliefs and practices... I feel connected to the parts of my culture that I believe are uplifting, interesting and fun, like some of the food (and beer), and I respect most of the other parts that I'm not particularly interested in (e.g. comics, or even literature). I'm not into keeping destructive traditions.
On the other hand I also feel a particularly strong connection with cultures that aren't "mine", typically those of Northern Europe.

I think being open to others' cultures is one of the best things a person can do for themselves. The more you learn, the more you understand and the more you realize we're deep down all the same.

I listen to them and try to understand. At least I'd have learnt something.

I cannot think of why regrets could be any good. Learning from mistakes is the way to go, and realizing you're not perfect (humility, eh), but keeping regrets sounds like a set of lingering feelings only meant to torture you for no reason, and potentially prevent you from doing better.

4) What genre of movies and/or books do you especially like such as romance, horror, sci-fi, etc? What are you watching or reading lately?
Fantasy, SF, and some tragic stories (?). Not "basic life" stories, but e.g. involving a historical event, some war or revolution, a catastrophe, or misery...
Still haven't finished Vikings. :)

I'm not a fan of pies, sorry. Whipped cream even less. :p

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Tysm for tagging me @Lane & for opening the cafe! :) I'm doing pretty good today thanks, hope you are doing well too :) *hug

People feeling strongly enough about celebrating something that has been traditionally celebrated in that part of the world for a significant amount of time, having respect for significant people who changed that part of the world in a positive way and just having special customs that they try to live their lives in accordance with. I've never been sure how "connected" I feel to mine but I don't think I'm a very typical example either since my life has been so odd in a lot of ways.

Depends how it all happens and what it's about to some extent, but I generally try to be as nice as I can about it. Sometimes I'll even just pretend to agree with them to keep the peace (NOT as a "surrender" thing, just as a "I don't really care enough about this anyway" kind of thing lol)

No, I think it's generally not a good idea to have regrets. There just isn't any point once it's done anyway.

Comedy, some sci-fi (like Star Wars of course lol), anime, suspense, thriller, drama, documentaries (sometimes), same with books, also like manga now.
Watching - The 100, on season 2 now and enjoying it a lot so far.
Reading - 4 diff. books, mostly fiction.

5) Todays national Lemon Meringue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to know)πŸ’πŸŠπŸŽ

I don't really eat pie very much (not cos I don't like it but we just don't buy it much and there's other kinds of desserts I like more) but I like apple pie & ya lemon meringue is yummy too. And yes whipped cream on top is always great but again it's not a thing we really ever buy so I very rarely have it. We have ice cream with it when we have it though which is good.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Hi @Lane , thank you for opening the CafΓ© (and tagging me) *hug Nice to be up early, I was too, but I stayed in bed for a loooong time. *facepalm I don't like Sundays...

The environment, the history, a set of traditions, beliefs and practices... I feel connected to the parts of my culture that I believe are uplifting, interesting and fun, like some of the food (and beer), and I respect most of the other parts that I'm not particularly interested in (e.g. comics, or even literature). I'm not into keeping destructive traditions.
On the other hand I also feel a particularly strong connection with cultures that aren't "mine", typically those of Northern Europe.

I think being open to others' cultures is one of the best things a person can do for themselves. The more you learn, the more you understand and the more you realize we're deep down all the same.

I cannot think of why regrets could be any good. Learning from mistakes is the way to go, and realizing you're not perfect (humility, eh), but keeping regrets sounds like a set of lingering feelings only meant to torture you for no reason, and potentially prevent you from doing better.

4) What genre of movies and/or books do you especially like such as romance, horror, sci-fi, etc? What are you watching or reading lately?
Fantasy, SF, and some tragic stories (?). Not "basic life" stories, but e.g. involving a historical event, some war or revolution, a catastrophe, or misery...

Really like #1 about adopting other people's cultures. It's such a gift to be invited to someone's home. Thanks for that reminder Miss @Auri *hug10

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Tysm for tagging me @Lane & for opening the cafe! :) I'm doing pretty good today thanks, hope you are doing well too :)*hug

People feeling strongly enough about celebrating something that has been traditionally celebrated in that part of the world for a significant amount of time, having respect for significant people who changed that part of the world in a positive way and just having special customs that they try to live their lives in accordance with. I've never been sure how "connected" I feel to mine but I don't think I'm a very typical example either since my life has been so odd in a lot of ways.

Depends how it all happens and what it's about to some extent, but I generally try to be as nice as I can about it. Sometimes I'll even just pretend to agree with them to keep the peace (NOT as a "surrender" thing, just as a "I don't really care enough about this anyway" kind of thing lol)

No, I think it's generally not a good idea to have regrets. There just isn't any point once it's done anyway.

Comedy, some sci-fi (like Star Wars of course lol), anime, suspense, thriller, drama, documentaries (sometimes), same with books, also like manga now.
Watching - The 100, on season 2 now and enjoying it a lot so far.
Reading - 4 diff. books, mostly fiction.

5) Todays national Lemon Meringue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to know)πŸ’πŸŠπŸŽ
I don't really eat pie very much (not cos I don't like it but we just don't buy it much and there's other kinds of desserts I like more) but I like apple pie & ya lemon meringue is yummy too. And yes whipped cream on top is always great but again it's not a thing we really ever buy so I very rarely have it. We have ice cream with it when we have it though which is good.

#2, lol *yes4 Makea sense to me. Cute memes

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter

I PMd you when you feel like reading

Inya

babaya gayolera
Thanks @Lane for the invite. I'm more or less symptoms free except for a nasty headache and some weird pressure in my head. I had my first beer in a week and it almost tasted good so I guess I'm not gonna croak yet.

1) People do, with conduct and habits, believes, language, celebrations, art, food, clothes, music...
I'm mixed nationality and I'm connected to both cultures. I also grew up in a county with strong presence of another culture, so for me it has always been easy to understand differences. But I do have a problem understanding what cultural shock is.

2) I don't need them to agree with me, how boring would that be. But if it bothers me to much I don't stick around.

3) Regrets are useless.

4) I don't care so much about genre but more about quality. Lately I've been watching movies from film festivals around the world.

5) I don't like pie. I'm not sure I even remember how it tastes anymore, it's not a thing here at all. But I'll take whipped cream.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I tend to find nutritonal broth on an agar plate is is a good place to make up a culture (bacterial) ;)
Social culture, that would probably be religion, beliefs, customs, language, politics, arts which would help to formulate a culture.
As for feeling connected, no not really, just always felt a disconnect.

That would depend on the importance of the issue and the type of person I'm in disagreement with. If it's something worth debating about, and also the person is willing to listen to an alternative point of view, then I'll pursue it. If however, they are of stagnant mind and is a follower of blind faith, then I wouldn't waste my breath but would just walk away.

Depends on how the mind deals with it. It can be a good thing if you can use it as a learning process to help you progess in life. Bad if it just holds you back and shackles you to the past.

Thrillers, documentaris, sci-fi. comedy are the genres I tend to go for.

5) Todays national Lemon Merengue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to know
I've never really been a pie man as in the sweet variety. At a push, apple pie with double cream.

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
Good morning/afternoon SF friends.
*hiya
Welcome to the cafe' today

In terms of tip of the iceberg stuff, culture involves values and beliefs which form norms. Also included are symbols and language and social control. it's been propagandized that all western values should be flushed down the toilet but I think personally western values are what helped build the affluent societies we live in today. If someone wants to give an example of a non-western country(democracy) they would like to live in and why, please let me know.
Do I feel connected to it? I feel connected to some values but not others.

It depends on the presentation of their disagreement. If they use the lazy ad hominem approach to attack me personally, they can go f*ck then selves. If they have genuine counterpoints in terms of logical argument, I want to hear what they have tyo say.

I suppose that all depends on the regret. Do you regret hospitalizing that man who pissed you of in the post office or do you regret losing your patience with your child because you're juggling a million things at once and lose it for a split second? I don't regret anything but I know where I can do better pro-socially.

Horror, and I would add psychological thriller.

5) Todays national Lemon Merengue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to kno

Cherry pie a la mode. On a tiny plate in the diner where they shot the exteriors for the show 'Twin peaks'. Specifically the town called Snoqualmie.

Last edited:

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter

In terms of tip of the iceberg stuff, culture involves values and beliefs which form norms. Also included are symbols and language and social control. it's been propagandized that all western values should be flushed down the toilet but I think personally western values are what helped build the affluent societies we live in today. If someone wants to give an example of a non-western country(democracy) they would like to live in and why, please let me know.
Do I feel connected to it? I feel connected to some values but not others.

It depends on the presentation of their disagreement. If they use the lazy ad hominem approach to attack me personally, they can go f*ck then selves. If they have genuine counterpoints in terms of logical argument, I want to hear what they have tyo say.

I suppose that all depends on the regret. Do you regret hospitalizing that man who pissed you of in the post office or do you regret losing your patience with your child because you're juggling a million things at once and lose it for a split second? I don't regret anything but I know where I can do better pro-socially.

Horror, and I would add psychological thriller.

5) Todays national Lemon Merengue pie day. Sooo, what are your favorite pies in order? Do you like whipped cream in top? (Inquiring minds want to kno

Cherry pie a la mode. On a tiny plate in the diner where they shot the exteriors for the show 'Twin peaks'. Specifically the town called Snoqualmie.
Yes we are hated, but everyone wants to live here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00