Jim's Cafe Thursday August 1st, 2014

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Mr Stewart, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Good afternoon coffee forums,

okay day today for me. the groundskeepers were removing some old dead trees from campus at work today and I was able to snag a nice new climbing log for Gecko Gilligan's terrarium from the piles. Sterilized log and not-so-stealthily slid it in to her tank just now. She's nocturnal and was asleep. I think my fumbling was noted but didn't rouse her enough to feel the need to run or jump or any of that, so no biggie. Just checked back in on her now and she's already snoozing again. :tranquillity:

It can be a little difficult to tell when she is sleeping as she does not have eyelids. Her species and related ones don't. Instead they have transparent scales over their eyes for protection. Think of it like a contact lens that covers your whole eyeball. Like chameleons, she has a limited capacity to change her skin colour. That is the other sleep indicator. She turns nearly white aside from the stripes on her back when she is sleeping. Ordinary awake colour is a very dark series of browns and near-blacks.

Anyway. Going to have some lunch now. :)

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

storms here again this evening just got home before lightning came and thunder guess i am here to stay hope everyone has a good evening

3. Mr Stewart

Oh boy. >___<

Went to mist Gilligan's tank just now as I do every evening. Apparently she had had quite enough of me this time around. She was asleep again. I use gardening plant spray bottle to add moisture to tank as usual. She wakes up suddenly and is PISSED. When geckos want you to back off, they will sometimes do a behaviour called a warning bite. They sort of snap their jaws together once or twice really fast to say I could bite you really hard if i wanted to type thing. It's a level of aggression below the maximum, which is holding jaw wide open like a crocodile(called gaping).

Never had Gilligan do this before. I actually consider it a good sign. A little bit of cage aggression means she's definitely adopted her tank as her own and feels possessive over it now. Fortunately, I do know how to defuse these situations. Instead of flinching away, you stay there and talk softly and hold your hand in the tank until gecko's breathing calms down and they pull themselves out of fight-or-flight mode. Then you stay there for one more minute, then slowly back out and leave them alone for the day. She'll have forgot all about it tomorrow.

4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Mr. Stewart your commitment to your geckos is absolutely fantastic. And I am glad you are sharing so much with us. It is making me realize just how complex of a creature a gecko is.

5. Mr Stewart

Thanks She Bear. Yes, they are fascinating creatures indeed. I really enjoy them. :)

6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Just dropping in to say hello, Café! :)

I have been on the go for much of the day! House work and groceries this a.m., volunteering at bingo this afternoon. The evening has slipped by now - junky TV shows and trying to read a book. Will go to the library tomorrow and hope it's nice enough to get a walk in there at some point.

Mr Stewart, your geckos are wonderfully interesting! And I love your explanation of her "contact lens" eye scales! :D You are a Gecko Whisperer with your patience in helping her to calm down! I hope you're having a good night now!
    TE, hmmm, yes, thunder and lightning. Storm clouds all around me today, but no rain or light show. I think it's supposed to storm here tomorrow. :noidea: I hope your weekend is drier and sunny now!
    She Bear, :hug: You're always so kind to others who have posted. :)

Wishing everyone a good night and a lovely sleep! :zzzz:

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Jim's cafe 2nd August 2014

Good morning everyone(past 4am here), hope you all have a wonderful day. I'm going to sleep in a while if I can and force myself to get out.I need to get out of the house more. If i am lucky my brother might bring me somewhere nice :)

This is such a beautiful song for ye to wake up to and start the day... http://www.aimini.net/view/?fid=o6bfGu7vktdG7JwtDcyX

8. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Re: Jim's cafe 2nd August 2014

Good morning all.

Struggling with the whole cataract surgery thing. Its got me down. I forced myself out of bed after sleeping 12 hours and had a bath did my eye drops and took my pills. Got the washer/dryer cleaned off so I can wash the sheets. That may me all I get done today.

Sigh.

I remember when I looked forward to weekends now they are just another long day.

Anyway, sorry to be morose, I hope everyone has a nice Saturday.

9. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Texaskitty, only one more surgery and some healing and it will be behind you. Keep a stiff upper lip and all that. And don't worry about being morose on weekends. I am capable of being morose anytime. In fact, if people get too happy that its Friday I just remind them that its that closer to Monday. :nod:

10. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Brother??!! It should be your feller/bf/hubby that brings you something nice Petal :redrose:

Still it's lovely to have a romantic brother too in the platonic sense

:freehug:

11. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Awwwww TK weekends ARE special hence the saying TGIF/TFIF (depending what company you are in: Former family & grandparents latter out with the gals/lads

:freehug:

12. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

Am enjoying a quiet Saturday - planning to go to the gym for a while to force myself to get exercise. It's been stressful at work and I have been working a lot of extra hours - too bad I am on salary. I was going to do yard work but forecast is for intermittent showers so i'll figure out a craft to do to keep me occupied.
    Take care all esp you Texas Kitty

13. Acy

Hello, Café! :)

Was up early and out running errands before 10 a.m. Just back now. It's hot and muggy here, so don't feel like doing much outside today. Nice and cool in my apartment, so will enjoy the AC and read my book.

Petal, I hope your brother comes through with an outing of some kind! :hug:
    TK, I can barely imagine what it would be like to have cataract surgery, but imo, you're entitled to some down feelings with all that going on. I wish you a good weekend (and congratulate you on getting to the laundry. It's still on my To Do list. :( lol )
    Twocky, enjoy your weekend! I wish you lots of fun!
    Cymbele, we have possible showers (from the hot and muggy atmosphere) forecast too. I hope you get more sun than rain! :D

Wishing all a wonderful weekend! :giraffe:

14. Petal

Oh don't even go there lol. I've had enough of bad boyfriends to last a lifetime. I think I will just enjoy being single for now :p
    My brother is good to me, we have our ups and down but he is good to me and he lives next door which helps lol. If I ever needed anything I know I could count on him and I guess I am lucky for that. Nah, I didn't go anywhere today (yet) I woke up fairly late and right now just trying to relax. :)

15. Mr Stewart

afternoon everybody,

pretty quiet day at work and home now. hope for a quiet evening as well. will take a short nap momentarily and then figure out something for supper.

16. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Epic fail on trying not to go over 1200 calories. At least it was little below 2000 calories.

17. Acy

Jim's Café Sunday, August 3, 2014

Good afternoon, all! :)

Have a half-minute to say hello before I go out. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day. I went for a walk earlier in the woods outside my apartment building and I found deer tracks. I was a bit surprised as it is a small stand of woods, but it's pretty leafy, so there's shelter. Have never seen a deer in there, though. A rabbit and mink once, but not a deer!

Happy evening to everyone! :arms:

18. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Re: Jim's Café Sunday, August 3, 2014

Hope you get to see that deer Acy went for a drive in country then did some pruning of some bushes in garden went to see someone at noon then i will go again at supper
    laying low mostly today hope all have a good Sunday

19. Petal

Lol this is going to sound silly...but what do deer tracks look like?

Hope everyone is having a nice day =)

20. Mr Stewart

Hello SF,

Petal, deer have cloven hooves so their prints look like a pair of elongated and pointed oval shapes side by side.

Have a good a Sunday, SF. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.