Jim's Cafe Wednesday 16th December 👼

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Heeey people!! We're nearly there, just a few more days to Christmas! I am a Christmas fanatic and have just had great fun wrapping gifts, yes cute shiny bows and name tags, the whole lot, please do share all your plans for the special day, I want to know everything from gifts, food, what you are going to watch and who you will be celebrating with!

I am going through a tough time at the moment (not with MH) and I'm just grateful I can enjoy Christmas day with those I love so dearly! I'm sorry if you are also going through a tough time, for me, I'm being optimistic, it will pass and I'm being grateful, appreciative and keeping a positive attitude, I hope you will too?!

1608078138124.png 1608078206201.png 1608078228094.png

Some questions I hope you will enjoy answering!

1. Have Christmas at home or in a new destination, what would you choose?
2. Only have one Christmas song available to hear over the Christmas season, which one would you choose?
3. Start a new tradition, what would it be? (Use your imagination ;) )
4. Spend Christmas at the beach or in the mountains, what would you choose?
5. Plan your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals, what would you plan to have?

1608078454600.png 1608078478057.png

Last edited:

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey, Champagne! Glad to see you in the Spirit!! I'll take a shot at it.

1) Usually at home. But, I would love to spend Christmas in my ancestors home of Ireland.
2) White Christmas by Bing Crosby is a favorite of mine.
3) New Tradition? To send cards to those who have no friends or family. Maybe, even a small gift.
4) I would love to spend Christmas in the Mountains. With snow of course.
5) Christmas eve would be a small meal. Christmas Day I would have Ham or Turkey. Various side dishes.

I wish Everyone here of SF a quiet and peaceful Christmas. If you're alone and need to talk, we are always here.

Champagne, Thank you for the tag. I wish you a Merry Christmas and I hope things are getting better for you! You are an Angel! 💖

Legate Lanius

Merry Christmas and thanks for opening the café!

At home.
2. Only have one Christmas song available to hear over the Christmas season, which one would you choose?
Last Christmas on the boombox and go visit everyone in the Whamageddon thread.
Everyone has to wear the same outfit during Christmas day (nation/planet-wide) or something.
Mountains.
5. Plan your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals, what would you plan to have?
Something similar to what I usually eat, not sure exactly.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Heeey people!! We're nearly there, just a few more days to Christmas! I am a Christmas fanatic and have just had great fun wrapping gifts, yes cute shiny bows and name tags, the whole lot, please do share all your plans for the special day, I want to know everything from gifts, food, what you are going to watch and who you will be celebrating with!
Ok, the plan at the moment for my group is to go over to my dad's girlfriends place (chosen for logistics of the UK 3 households maximum rule), so it will be me, my dad, his girlfriend, her son, and my brother and his finance, then joining via webcam on a large TV on either side (hopefully giving the impression of a window into another room) is my sister, her husband and our aunt.

We will do the usual Christmas challenge organised by my brother, this time is a thrown together one as Covid ruined his plans (he spends months on these usually), it looks like he is going to have us play "Would I Lie to You" at some point. After the challenge, we will have a meal and then presents. I am not sure what the meal is, as it is provided by m aunt (via post) and will be cooked by my dad's girlfriend and brother's fiancé, long story short, I am too removed from the food process atm to know what it is going to be, except excellent.
As for presents, I got some OK ones for a few people, but the ones I am proud of are these:
- Brother in law gets Bose headphones worth over £200 (me and my brother pooled and via a deal managed to get them for £130ish)
- Brother is getting a toolkit he wanted, but the present isnt the proud moment here, the wrapping is, because it is CHALLANGE WRAPPING!!!

My family occasionally do challenge wrapping, to explain, I will tell you how I am wrapping my brother's present. I am cutting sections of stiff packing foam to shape to obscure the shape of what I got him, then super-gluing it closed around the present, not sure whats its made of, but it seems to be OK with superglue.... then I am going to put it in a box and duct-tape it, then I am going to weave several layers of green and red zipties together to encompass the entire box, then I put it in wrapping paper. He is NOT allowed to use scissors. Just to add insult to injury, his fiance will get a neatly wrapped present with a "pull here" tab which allows the wrapping to just fall open (already devised how this works).

I am going through a tough time at the moment (not with MH) and I'm just grateful I can enjoy Christmas day with those I love so dearly! I'm sorry if you are also going through a tough time, for me, I'm being optimistic, it will pass and I'm being grateful, appreciative and keeping a positive attitude, I hope you will too?!
Hang in there, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I would choose to have the [[My Family Name]] family christmas over in Norway, we have some family there and snow would be nice for a change.
Something choral, traditional... "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" would get me in the mood :)
Invite family who cant make it to video chat for the entire evening, put webcams on the TVs of each place, so we can just talk and interact naturally on big screens, similar to what we are planning to do this year.
Mountains, hands down. Nothing christmasy about sand and sun-tans, I would much prefer snow and wide open views of mountains :D
Christmas Eve - Norwegian Christmas (they celebrate on christmas eve, being half Norwegian, so do I):
Main:
Portions in the centre of the table, help yourself:
- Roast Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed swede
- Mixed Vegies
- Tender Ribs
- Julepølse (Norwegian Christmas Sausage)
- Generous amounts of gravy
- Wine and Harmar Julebrus to drink.

Desert:
- Ice Cream and Krumkake
- A cake tray containing Kransekake, Sirupsnipper, Smultringer, Lefse, and other great goodies (Google these)
- A MASSIVELY overdone gingerbread house

Christmas Day- English Christmas (they celebrate on christmas day, being half English, so do I):
Portions in the centre of the table, help yourself:
- Roast Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Yorkshire Puddings
- Mixed Vegies
- Roast Turkey
- Honey Roast Carrots & Parsnips
- Mini-sausages wrapped in bacon
- Generous amounts of gravy
- Cranberry Sauce
- Wine and Coke to drink.

Desert:
- Christmas Cake
- Yule Logs
- Gingerbread men

Boxing Day
- LOTS of antacids and maybe a salad.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Hey Merry Merry Champagne and Everyone

there are a few factors that make christmas these days quite a bit different from when i was young. an extremely important reason has been that my kids were both born near to and at the end of december. those birthdays replaced both christmas and new year’s eve. it made the whole “season” quite a bit different. generally we have not celebrated christmas even though i’ve wanted to. mostly i blame myself for it being this way even though i wish it was different. i miss the celebration and it is not even really a part of ...hmm, what would you call it? not quite tradition and or culture and or religion and or politics but a weird combination of all of them, yet when i was growing up, we did celebrate every year with gift giving, a tree and some kind of party. year after year we watched christmas shows on tv especially A Christmas Carol (Scrooge) with Alistair Sim (1951) which i think is absolutely the best version ever made.

1. Have Christmas at home or in a new destination, what would you choose? at home.

2. Only have one Christmas song available to hear over the Christmas season, which one would you choose? Sleighride but not a sung verson. only the music and i’d have to be able to turn it off each time i begin to overload.

3. Start a new tradition, what would it be? (Use your imagination ;) ) eating blue cheese on crackers and drinking porter (or seltzer or other soft drink for the kids) in the snow and then opening a gift you’ve bought for yourself but it has to cost no more than $3 (or its equivalent in other countries) or been hand made by yourself.

4. Spend Christmas at the beach or in the mountains, what would you choose? the mountains.

5. Plan your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals, what would you plan to have? we always have bagels, cream cheese and lox for breakfast (and coffee). that really does the trick. no reason to plan anything else. well, also, we can’t forget the eggnog, right?

hey merry christmas and lots of 🌞🌞🌞

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
Good evening @Champagne . Thank you for opening the cafe and inviting me.

My room mate (that is my best friend) and I will be doing nothing for Christmas together. I bought my bar tender at Texas Roadhouse a pair of fuzzy socks for Christmas. It is the only gift I am buying this year. For lunch on Christmas day for my friend I am making a ham with mashed potatoes and oven roasted potatoes with broccoli. If you are going to turn up your nose at two starches or two different potato dishes like my ex-wife would then you can shove it up your arse.

I am not sleeping much lately. I slept 2 hours tonight and I get the feeling I will be awake until tomorrow night. If I can I will sleep some more tonight. I'm sorry you are going through a hard time.

Some questions I hope you will enjoy answering!

I love my home. I live in a very nice house and have all my stuff here. I would not wish to be anywhere else.
Silent Night

On Christmas day all diseases are healed and we get to start fresh in the New Year.
I can't imagine spending Christmas day anywhere except at home.
I plan on making Christmas dinner here for my friend and I, ham with mashed potatoes and oven roasted potatoes with broccoli. Beer, vodka, and bourbon will be flowing freely. I do not drink so much that I lose control of my ability to walk etc. I drink slowly over a long period of time, I do not like getting drunk.

PrincessPure

1. Have Christmas at home or in a new destination, what would you choose? New destination. I live in a place that Christmas isn't celebrated by the majority. But I love Christmas, I wanna live in a country that is filled with joy and bright lights when Chrostmas arrives.
2. Only have one Christmas song available to hear over the Christmas season, which one would you choose? All I want for Cheistmas is you
3. Start a new tradition, what would it be? (Use your imagination ;) ) Oh I suck at using my brain atm, just finished a horribly difficult test lol
4. Spend Christmas at the beach or in the mountains, what would you choose? I leave the beach for summer. Mountains for now
5. Plan your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals, what would you plan to have? As I said I don't celebrate it rn, it's not as easy when work is still going on and nowhere is decorated and holiday drinks don't exist... Maybe in a few years the tables would turn for me

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Hi everyone. Although schools are not yet out for the Christmas holidays I am now officially off school till after Christmas. Planning on doing nothing today other than recovering from an operation yesterday. Feels like I’ve been kicked in the stomach and very shaky but pain meds seem to help if I keep them topped up. I will watch the secret garden latest version film today snuggled on the sofa with a hot chocolate.

1. Have Christmas at home or in a new destination, what would you choose? At home surrounded by family.

2. Only have one Christmas song available to hear over the Christmas season, which one would you choose? Brain too foggy with anaesthetic can’t think of anything.

3. Start a new tradition, what would it be? (Use your imagination ;) ) Large scale community treasure hunt where lots of people put things in there window for kids to find. Gets everyone out of the house and having fun.

4. Spend Christmas at the beach or in the mountains, what would you choose? mountains. Beaches would not be the same at Christmas.

very traditional with turkey and trimming. It would not be complete however without bacon and cheese bites. It’s only Christmas when they are in the freezer ready for Christmas Day.
Christmas Eve is usually something simple and light. Don’t want to cook twice. No idea at the moment what I plan for it.

Take care and stay safe for another day everyone *hug Xx

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
Staff Alumni
Have Christmas at home or in a new destination, what would you choose? go to Ireland for Christmas
2. Only have one Christmas song available to hear over the Christmas season, which one would you choose? I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
3. Start a new tradition, what would it be? (Use your imagination ;) ) no idea
4. Spend Christmas at the beach or in the mountains, what would you choose? mountains every time
5. Plan your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals, what would you plan to have? this year on my menu is this:

Christmas eve - Normal Breakfast Toast with Marmalade and a glass of OJ
Lunch - usual baguette of some sort and a packet of crisps
Dinner - hot turkey sandwich on fresh baked bread with pickles

xmas day!

Breakfast - full English breakfast with muffins and pancakes
Lunch for 7 people - Gammon, Beef, Turkey and all the usual stuff on the side
evening - cheese's, pickles and crackers with nuts and a few pints of doom bar

I used to be a professional chef so I love cooking and making a big thing of it!

Inya

babaya gayolera
Thanks @Champagne for inviting me.
Christmas isn’t that important to me. I have nothing against it though, it just isn’t such a big thing for me.

Home’s ok.

I can very well do without any.

3. Start a new tradition, what would it be? (Use your imagination )
Eating Nutella from the jar with a spoon in bed on Christmas night.

Maybe it’d be fun to spend Christmas on the beach in the southern hemisphere, of course, with decorated palm trees like these lol
1496-xmas.jpg

Since I’ll be alone this year I don’t feel like cooking anything special just for me. I think I’ll buy some cold cuts and a few different cheeses, fresh bread with a crispy crust, cherry tomatoes, pickles, olives…oh and steak tartar. I don’t think I need to mention booze eh.

*bday @KM76710 *stars

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
I think...it would be okay anywhere.. I will be working so.. I usually go out of my way to make sure I work all holidays..
2. Only have one Christmas song available to hear over the Christmas season, which one would you choose? I always liked Silent Night since I was little. Or the chestnuts roasting on an open fire one..
3. Start a new tradition, what would it be? (Use your imagination ;) ) I used to eat at Denny's with my dad.. I think it'd be cool to have a friend to eat with.. Or..drink cocoa and play board games..
4. Spend Christmas at the beach or in the mountains, what would you choose? Always the ocean. Oregon coast. Maybe Cannon beach. :3 especially at night time.
I plan to just eat healthy. And not be sick or fasting. Just a stable day. Maybe I could plan for some fruitcake though...

Thank you @Champagne for the tag. :3 💜

Last edited:

KindaOtiose

Hope everyone is having a great week so far. Thanks for opening the cafe @Champagne.

Have Christmas at home or in a new destination, what would you choose?
At home. Much easier.

Only have one Christmas song available to hear over the Christmas season, which one would you choose?
Jingle bell rock.

Start a new tradition, what would it be? (Use your imagination ;) )
Buying a funny/joke present for each other.

Spend Christmas at the beach or in the mountains, what would you choose?
In the mountains.

Plan your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals, what would you plan to have?
The traditional Christmas meal at least once. Turkey, gravy, potatoes, vegetables, pig in blankets etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00