Job Application Form Help

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by snarrylover, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I'm filling in a job application form and I've come across this question. It says:

NB. The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 defines a disability as:
    “a physical or mental impairment which has substantial and long-term (lasting more than 12 months) adverse effect on your day to day living”
    If you wish to provide any additional details please do so below:

If you wish you may disclose information about yourself in this section:
    Sexual Orientation:

What would you do? Would you keep those things to yourself or give full disclosure straight away?
  2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

tricky question, isn't it?

always the fear that if you tell them up front, they may use that as a reason (unofficial of course) not to hire you

on the other hand, if they hire you and then it comes out, they may be able to use lying on the application as a basis to fire you (maybe?)

the plus side would be that if you did discuss it on the application and they did hire you, i'm guessing that they would need to make accomodations for it

from the US so not sure how the laws apply

if you think that the issue will definitely become apparent at work at some point, you should probably talk about it up front - that's my gut feeling
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

In the U.S., it would be illegal for them to ask about Religion and Sexual Orientation - I am shocked to see that on an application. Now as Westingecho stated, if you don't disclose then it could be grounds to be fired later. I recall in one position I was in years ago, a man was fired because he had been in prison in the past. I went to the HR director and asked why. "He did his crime and paid for his crime, he has to make a living now too," I said. I was then told that he was not fired because he had been to prison. Rather, he was fired because he did not disclose that on his application.
  4. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

It does say "if you wish to provide details". Unless there are other questions you have to answer about this Wasting echoes excellent point about using lying as an excuse to fire you won't apply. Won't stop them firing you for another trumped up reason of course if they're unhappy about disability. This is a tricky one. Good luck whatever you decide.
  5. snarrylover

We don't have to answer it, but most application forms come with an "equality" form to fill in - the law states it can't affect your application, but I do wonder at that...Most ask for ethnicity, but this is only the second one I've come across that asked for sexual orientation. I think it's to meet quotas, like making sure there's a wide "range" of people being employed.

I'll be leaving orientation and religion blank because I can't see that being a concern in the workplace. But like you've both said, if I don't state my "mental disabiltiy" and it becomes a problem at work they could ask why I never mentioned it. I don't think they could fire me over it as it's a choice if I mention it or not.

The honesty in me always struggles with these optional questions.
  6. Theodora

In the UK we get asked about sexual orientation and ethnicity on most forms. Usually there's a 'prefer not to say' box. It's supposed to be so that employers, government dept, local authorities and every one can provide figures to show they're not discriminating. Recently a local council asked these questions on a survey about recycling.
  7. Wastingecho

be glad you don't have to take an "honesty" test

way back in the late 80's i applied for a job with a major camera manufacturer and they gave me one as part of the application process- 100 questions with things like "do you think it's ok to take a box of pens from work?", "do you think it's ok to take A pen from work?", "what would you do if you saw..." - you get the idea

if you scored perfectly you didn't get hired because you obviously lied - most obnoxious test i ever faced to try and get a job - not the weirdest though
  8. snarrylover

That is bizarre!
  9. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

You really don't have to worry about sexual orientation or religion simply because they are hardly gonna judge you or check up on it and really its just a count up whose bi, les, straight etc. But as for disability/health condition always mention it.
  10. Stisme

Stisme Active Member

Snarrylover...on the application, they are not asking for you to answer a "yes" or "no" question. They are asking "if you wish to provide further information"....hence, giving you a choice. However, if you feel that you have a "physical or mental impairment" that could potentially hinder your work performance, you might consider disclosing it. On the flip side of this, would YOU really be filling out a job application for a position that YOU truly knew your were too "impaired" to perform.....probably not!!! YOU know better than anybody what your capabilities are....if you know you can perform the don't HAVE to disclose anything.

In the case of Pickwithaustin's post regarding his co-worker being fired for serving time in prison. This incident seems like it might have been more of a case of "have you ever been convicted of a crime?" Requiring a "yes" or "no" answer. Failing to answer that question correctly would resulted in termination.

Another example: just a few months ago we had a recent hire at the hospital. After about 3 weeks, one afternoon he was called into the supervisors office and we never saw him again. Later, we discovered that upon his hire, he was asked to sign a "no smoking policy" indicating that he was a "non-smoker". Apparently, someone saw him outside smoking a cigerette. He was terminated.

The above 2 examples are blantant nondisclosures. Yours is giving you a choice.

Just my take on it. Best of luck.
  11. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

12. Wastingecho

not as bizarre as the two 7-questions quizzes that landed me my current job 30+ years ago

first question: a snail is at the bottom of a 30 foot well. during the day it climbs 3 feet. at night when it is asleep, it slips down 2 feet. how many days will it take for the snail to climb out of the well?
  13. snarrylover

Good points. I know it's a choice but I'm just not sure if I should answer it. I wondered what other people would do. I will probably ignore it and leave it blank. It's just in my last job I ended up having a nervous breakdown and quitting because of what the people there were like and what they put me through. The one I'm applying for now is something I know I can do...just as long as I'm not put in that position again.

I look too much into things I guess. But little choice questions like that can really make me think.
  14. Theodora

If it's a job you can do go for it. A good application may get you an interview. I only say may because unemployment is so bad there can be loads of applicants for a single job. If you get an interview that's wonderful. If you get the job that is when you'll find out what the people you work with are like. You'll have to take a risk like anyone trying again. If you're shit scared then that's a perfectly reasonable feeling :) .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.