Job Application Personality Tests

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Athnys, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athnys

Athnys Well-Known Member

Last night I was thinking that maybe the biggest obstacle preventing me from getting a job from places like Walmart is that I'm not passing application personality tests. I'm very introverted and soft spoken, and I'm not comfortable with initiating a conversation with strangers.

So now the dilemma becomes: do I fib on personality tests to give the employers the answers then want, and then get fired when it turns out that I didn't live up to the test results; or do I just sit at home for the rest of my life, broke and poor?
  2. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

You have to take a personality test to apply for a job? just tell them what they want to hear.
  3. ZasuArt

ZasuArt Well-Known Member

I wish I had the right answer for you, Athnys. It's probably best in the long run for you to answer truthfully so that you don't end up in a job that you hate and are wrong for. But times are tough and jobs are scarce. If you're desperate for employment, it may be better in the short run to tweak your answers a bit and try your best to "fake it till you make it". Of course, if you have the opportunity to request a position more suited to your real personality (book keeping, data entry or other behind the scenes positions), I would definitely push for those jobs. Wishing you luck and happiness, and sending hugs...
  4. phd2be

phd2be Member

As an extrovert: Nobody is 100% comfortable in public all the time. There's no need to fib, exactly: Don't say you're the most outgoing person the interviewer has ever met, because s/he'll know in an instant that you're not. I think, though, that enthusiasm would go a long way. Try:

"Although I'm not entirely comfortable talking in front of strangers, I think a job at Walmart might give me the confidence to be out in public. I'm willing and capable of learning that skill, and this job seems the ideal place to do that."

If you're filling out a personality test, and it's, say,
    (1) Not at all comfortable -- (3) Average -- (5) Extremely comfortable, pick the (2) Somewhat comfortable instead of the (1) Not at all comfortable.

Hope that helps, too. Best of luck.
  5. Athnys

Athnys Well-Known Member

The thing is, I can't even get in an interview. I had an interview coach for a while and I did a good job in the practice interviews, but I don't even get job interviews when I apply.

When I apply to places like Walmart or Target, they require a personality test to be submitted with the application before they will even call for an interview. They never call me for an interview.

The other thing is that my religion forbids me from lying, so if I knowingly choose an incorrect response, that would be wrong.
  6. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

unfortunately, a lot of these places don't handle personal interviews until they are really far along in the process

my son has been applying online to work at a lot of places - target, walmart, toys r us - no stores seem to want paper applications

he's been turned down by them all without indication of why

keep your eyes open for any opportunity in smaller stores - the kind that post help wanted signs in the window

also if you find yourself in a place that you think you would like to work in, it nevers hurts to ask to speak to a manager and find it if they are looking to hire in the near future - they may not, but you won't know if you don't ask and you may end up pleasantly surprised

good luck
  7. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

It's amazing that you would need to go through so much to work for Wal-Mart of all places… it's completely insane, actually.

I remember a few years ago I had to go through IQ tests and computer skills tests before I even got an interview for an $11/hr job at a gd call center. Seriously, you'd think I was applying to NASA--it was absolutely ridiculous. These jobs used to be come on in and you'll probably get it… now they expect the moon from people fighting over scraps.

Sorry about the rant-- yes, you should lie. Lie away. They're probably expecting you to lie… because so many people do it, especially when they don't have the experience to back it up. If you don't lie, then it will look like you're not dedicated to getting the job. If you're desperate then you should always lie… and pretending to be friendly isn't something that you won't be able to do after a day.

If you have serious issues with people and having strangers approach you, then maybe you shouldn't… but if you're just shy or have anxiety that is still possible to control, then after a bit you should be feeling like you can handle it.
  8. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

Little Cesar's made us take a personality test, a math test and an "interpersonal communication" test. It was bollocks and made me feel really crappy about myself as I read over my answers. The reason they have people take those tests is to find out where you are best fit in teh company (stock, cashier, sales, ect). One other thing I have found, if you don't call them to check up on your application, they wont call you either. The online applications are the worst thing businesses have come up with because few managers have time to remember to login and check the apps, where as, if they are sitting on teh desk they are more likely to check them, so you have to call a couple of days after applying and ask about the status of your application, they will always say they haven't had a chance to look it over, so you thank them and tell them you will call back in a couple of days. Then call back in 2 to 3 more days and usually they will see that you are really interested in employment with them and will likely give you an interview.
    That is how I have gotten every job I've ever had, and I've had several, usually 2 or 3 at a time, once I even had 5 part time jobs in one mall... that was crazy, but this is how I got each and every job I've ever had.
  9. EarToHelp

EarToHelp Member

I do believe that you can gain the confidence to work in places like Walmart etc. I am from England, but I understand that Walmart is very much like a lot of our retail stores... You need to convince yourself that you can do it before you can convince someone else. Everybody has the capacity to become comfortable in social situations, given enough time and care - it will get easier.

How about a different job though, which requires a lot less social ability? What are your interests? Do you like labour-type jobs too?

What's wrong with a mailman, or a courier etc? Do you drive?

We'll work something out :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.