Job hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that has really got me down recently is job hunting.

The fact that there’s next to nothing out there rn and I feel like a leech to my partner and family. The fact I live with my partner means I won’t get any UBI because they deduce that he could pay the entirety of the rent and bills (no consideration that it would be 90% of his income).

I’m not even looking for a graduate job I am more than happy to work a part time retail gig (tbh I’d prefer it) but nope, all I get are rejection letters or no reply at all.

I’m so lucky that I have family to help us out financially right now but I hate myself for having to take that help. I feel so useless, so hopeless.

A first class degree and years of customer facing experience and I spend my days applying for 5 jobs at a time (each of which takes about an hour to apply for due to all of the tests and questions and “Ik you’ve just uploaded your cv but can you write us 10 300 word answers to each of these questions? :))” like wtf is that about?).

I get no response, or I get rejection.

I’m honestly not sure which I prefer at this point. On the one hand no response kills. You wait around for weeks thinking just maybe something will come through only for the hope to slowly fade. On the other, rejection always seems to come at the worst time and in the most patronising tone. “We’re so sorry to see you didn’t get this job :((( there will be more in the future just continue applying on our site! I’m sure you’ll have better luck next time dw :)))”. I got 3 of this on my damn birthday after weeks of radio silence from every application and it kills.

I don’t think there’s a lot left for me, or of me.
I have done everything that I was ever told to do so that I could get a job in times like these, the grades the volunteering the experience. None of it seems to matter right now.

Feels as though the world is falling apart, not just for me but for most people, the majority who don’t want power, or billions of pounds, or fame, and I think I might fall apart with it for a little while.

Daphna

Ninja of light
One thing that has really got me down recently is job hunting.

The fact that there’s next to nothing out there rn and I feel like a leech to my partner and family. The fact I live with my partner means I won’t get any UBI because they deduce that he could pay the entirety of the rent and bills (no consideration that it would be 90% of his income).

I’m not even looking for a graduate job I am more than happy to work a part time retail gig (tbh I’d prefer it) but nope, all I get are rejection letters or no reply at all.

I’m so lucky that I have family to help us out financially right now but I hate myself for having to take that help. I feel so useless, so hopeless.

A first class degree and years of customer facing experience and I spend my days applying for 5 jobs at a time (each of which takes about an hour to apply for due to all of the tests and questions and “Ik you’ve just uploaded your cv but can you write us 10 300 word answers to each of these questions? :))” like wtf is that about?).

I get no response, or I get rejection.

I’m honestly not sure which I prefer at this point. On the one hand no response kills. You wait around for weeks thinking just maybe something will come through only for the hope to slowly fade. On the other, rejection always seems to come at the worst time and in the most patronising tone. “We’re so sorry to see you didn’t get this job :((( there will be more in the future just continue applying on our site! I’m sure you’ll have better luck next time dw :)))”. I got 3 of this on my damn birthday after weeks of radio silence from every application and it kills.

I don’t think there’s a lot left for me, or of me.
I have done everything that I was ever told to do so that I could get a job in times like these, the grades the volunteering the experience. None of it seems to matter right now.

Feels as though the world is falling apart, not just for me but for most people, the majority who don’t want power, or billions of pounds, or fame, and I think I might fall apart with it for a little while.
I would keep looking, you never know what might be around the corner. Welcome to SF before I forget. *shake

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
Welcome to SF, @SadHam.

In my opinion, an interview should be enough to validate an applicant. Anything else will be known in the first few months at work. It's absurd with tests, let alone a 300 words essay, which have nothing to do with facing customer in practice, especially when they are more frustrated because of a pandemic.

Rejection replies take times as there are often more applicants to reply to. It's just unfortunate that you received those late replies on your birthday.

I think it's worth to take the time to see if there is any good local business owner you would want to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00