Job interview tips?

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks these people ask the dumbest questions sometimes. Like, for instance, "Why do you want to work with X company?"

Uh...because I need money? I know you probably want to hear something distinctive about how great your company is, but sorry to burst your bubble, you were just the first to call me back.

That would be the truth. Of course, the truth won't get me anywhere. So what bullshit can I feed these people that will sound good enough to get me a job?

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
@AsphyxiateOnWords unfortunately gone are the days when you could just get a job by turning up to a job interview. These days, even university graduates are fighting for jobs at McDonalds and Supermarkets.

If the company have a website I’d research it and look for key things such as mottos and company values. I’d research a little bit of background that the company comes from ie. if it was an estate agents you’d look into their history and know a bit about what estate agents do. Same for a small store. If they have a person and job specification then research it and apply your qualities to it. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and ask about job opportunities and career progression. Make sure you dress smart. Not too inappropriately smart though if it doesn’t warrant it.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I agree with @Butterfly...doing the research on the company and find out about their current and future initiatives/goals so you can tailor your responses and questions to how you can due to your skills/expertise/knowledge etc help them reach those goals. Also the book/website What Color is Your Parachute has some helpful advice as well...something I am going to be reading in the next few weeks over the winter break ...sending you positive thoughts in your search...

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Hey Asph
Totally agree with Butterfly and Kiwi. Find a few positive things about the company to talk about and relate to. Not only does it give you something useful to talk about but also shows them that you've put effort into your application and are capable of research and applying what you have learned to your own situation.

And don't forget to mention teamwork several times. Being able to work effectively as part of a team, get along with colleagues and give and receive constructive feedback is always a good thing to talk about at interviews.

Oh yeah.. Smile and eye contact.

Knock 'em dead :)

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Thanks to all of you for your responses.

And yeah, if you all could hear some of the bold faced lies I've told about what a happy and positive person I am and how easily I get along with everyone and make friends, you would properly laugh your asses off. ;)

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
What are you applying to do, bud? How much utter BS you have to feed them depends on the job eh. For some of them you might just need to be breathing. Others might require actual shoveling of the fecal matter.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00