Jobs that aren't overly sociable

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aurora Gory Alice, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I've been looking for work again, as I really need to work - I need the money and it's getting to the point where I can't afford not to.

But I've always worked in customer service, everything from retail to bar work. In my current state there is no WAY I could go back to that!
    I am wondering what I can get into, that is a world away from having to deal with different people, crowds and being 'miss happy smiley and helpful' every day.

2. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Not quiet away from the public but there not in your face either so what about a delivery driver?

3. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Hmmm good question, you could drive public transportation.

Sadly making money requires a social face. Tech support is fairly impersonal. As long as you are a tech who goes to peoples houses to fix stuff or just sits in the back and works.

4. shamps

shamps Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on what skills you already have and what you would be willing to learn.

Erm,how about a postwoman?You have to leave the house but you dont really have people in your face esp early mornings.I wouldnt say shutting yourself off completely is advisable(says me)but if you feel its what you need right now then you could always try something to do with computers that allows you to work from home.

Some sort of phone job?Or even dogsitting or something?You could even trya little cleaning job thats out of hours?Or even run and ebay job?

I dunno hun im stuck in a job I cant bare the thought of going back to partly for the same reason as you and partly because I feel I need a change.I have no choice though but to stay I have no money or savings otherwise and I am not qualified in anything,jobs are scarce enough without leaving one and trying to find another.

I wish you well xox

5. low

low Member

Admin in a small office where you aren't so much customer facing such as data input?

6. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Some factory work doesn't involve lots of socialization.

7. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

I've done lawn care for 12 years now and for the most part you're on your own. You have to be all friendly and stuff when talking to customers and such but that's a small part of the business, even as the owner (I don''t have employees, just me, and my retired dad once in a while.

Takes a few years to be able to live off it tho, and depends on ur local economy.

8. 1117

1117 New Member

I was considering work in a warehouse, as a picker/packer at one time.

9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Gosh, i would hate working with the public also.
    Housekeeping, postman, gaz station cashier, any nightime shift work, erm... i'm out of ideas.

10. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

My mum actually wants me to be a Dentist because you basicly have your hands and drills etc shoved in someones mouth so if the person talks it'll be like "OK, aenesthetic please. Thank you. Now we're just gonna drill a small hole in your tooth here *MASSIVE DRILLING NOISE*, nice clean one we got there."

I'm fine with being a dentist it's just that I don't know if I have the emotional strength to go to Uni if you know what I mean :I.

11. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I was in retail for 2years and i broke down from always having to be fresh faced and smiley all the time, I then went on to do telesales.. ok you still have to be friendly, but its not face to face so once your off the phone with them you can curse them to oblivion if you want to.. and the pay in telesales is quite good too..well at least here it is

12. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I had never met the person that wrote up my invoices until two months after they worked for me...we did the info via email and skype and it worked great..I paid 25/hr with a 100/week guarantee so it was part time but they worked from home and got to pretty much pick their own hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.