Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Hache, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I haven't done any cardio since I left college at 18 and then suffered depression. I am now 21.

Yesterday I went out for a run, did about 30 minutes but with a fair few stops and some walking periods. I got a chest pain fairly early on, infact I had only just gone around the corner lol. I kept going anyway, the pain decreased slightly, maybe I got used to it. At one point I felt like I might throw up. When I came back I felt slight asthma as I rested.

Today, despite my legs being in pain from last night I went out for a run again. I couldnt do much this time, I probably did 15 minutes with a lot of walking. My calves are now completely damaged lol. But again more chest pains.

God I am unfit.

Tomorrow night I am going to do some kind of cardio in my room. Although I am not sure what is possible. That way I can stop and start accordingly without the shame of being seen stopping lol. Maybe skip, without the skipping rope lol.

Does anyone know if the chest pains will go away, what to do when I get them, how long will it take to get fit enough, how much cardio a day do i need to do. What cardio can I do when my legs are tired but dont have a gym.
  2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Hello, Hache. I am exactly twice :eek:ld: your age and I started jogging about a year ago. I've always been into bicycling or long walks but never anything as challenging as running because I am just not blessed with endurance. My worst problem starting out was pain in my legs but it went away after maybe two weeks. I avoid leg pain now by jogging in place lightly (cooldown) and doing calf, hamstring and thigh stretches immediately at the end of a run. I run five miles in 35 minutes virtually every day, a respectable pace but it seems is the best I can do.

I occasionally get chest pains and it is usually when pounding down a hill. I am not sure if the shock of jogging is causing your pain but I would try to get to a sport shop knowledgeable in running biomechanics so they can determine your stride (pronator, supinator, straight), foot type (flat, medium or high arch) and point you to the correct type of shoe- very important to avoid injury.

As for cardio when your legs are tired, there are not many exercises that don't involve the legs to a major extent but you could try one of the cardio kickboxing dvds which are wildly popular. I am poor but I bought an el-cheapo elliptical machine for $300 USD from Walmart and I love it. It doesn't tax my legs when they are toasted and gives a great full body toning cardio workout.

I hope I was helpful :victory:.
  3. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think I will just do nothing today, rest, it hurts to walk lol
  4. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

today is day 1 of cutting out saturated fats and lots of sugar, so no more chocolate and pizza's, there is very little I personally can eat.

Anyway I feel so unhealthy, so unfit.
  5. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

went for a run tonight, actually enjoyed it a little. Chest pains were not strong, I stopped a couple of times and walked a bit which helped keep the chest pains to a mininum.

3 runs in 5 days, good start, have to wait and see if my legs will be ok to go again tomorrow.
  6. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

:goodjob: I hope you get the same mental benefits I have.
  7. Seano

Seano Well-Known Member

If I may say so, it seems that 3 runs in 5 days is about the best sort of regime I can imagine myself undertaking if I was fit and healthy again like a few years ago.

The body benefits from a rest day to recover just as much as the effort of a good run on the training days, and 30 minutes is a fairly good duration IMHO to gain the mental benefits that running offers. When I could run without exacerbating this illness I have, half an hour would take me over a 5-8 km circuit and the best part was to clear the mind of worries, a little like meditation perhaps.

It is also the greatest treatment that I have found to minimise asthma and get over the need for the cortico-steroids known as 'preventers'. I sincerely hope that you might notice a significant improvement in asthma as well as the overall mental health that running can offer. Watch out for speeding cars and trucks when you come across roads, and other than that, never stop the running.
  8. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

The chest pain is apart of the whole thing. It will eventually go away. Also in time you will experience fatigue a lot later. Leg pains will kick in later also. So in other words, this all means you will be on your way to becoming fitter.
  9. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

I used to jog but my running shoes were stolen when my house was broken into. Always stretch your calves, hamstrings and quadriceps before and after any lower body exercise. Also make sure that you wear the correct shoes or you could end up with shin splints.
  10. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

cheers guys.

I went again tonight, obviously with it being 2 days in a row it wasn't as much. But I am getting better, feeling better. No chest pains at all tonight! Yay! But I did get a stitch.

I might have to buy some shoes tomorrow because I think I got shin splints after the run on Sunday, my shins hurt for a couple of days. They are alright now though, maybe it was just my legs reaction to stress it wasnt use to.

I'll have to start stretching, at least better. My left calf felt like at one point it seized up tonight.

I'll have tomorrow off. Run 2 days, day off, run 2 days, day off.

The goal is to be fit enough to run from my house up the hill to touch the cathedral doors and then run back down again. I might actually try that on Saturday because tonight went quite well. But it will be tough, there is some steep climbing and falls involved.
  11. Anime-Zodiac

If possible try to run mainly/mostly on grass instead of on concrete/pavements. In the long term running on concrete can cause shin splits.

Congrats on your improving performance.
  12. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I live in the City, no grass
  13. Anime-Zodiac

In that case, foot wear would be the next thing to look at. It will help absorb and reduce the level of impact on your legs, ankles and shins.

Best of luck.
  14. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Hache, glad to hear you have started running. Regarding shin splints here is a video with some good ideas you might want to try out:

Also two things that have gotten rid of all of my hip, knee, ankle and foot pain is a foam roller(such as this one: and a softball or tennis ball. Use either one to roll your IT band, piriformis, glutes, calves(especially the front, although it will be tender at first) and the arches of your feet.