John Phillips and the Mamas and the Papas legacy

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

http://www.spinner.com/2009/09/24/radio-stations-wrestle-with-playing-john-phillips/

It is a big story in America but I don't know how much press it has gotten overseas, in any case I thought the article made a good topic for dicussion.
    John Phillips (who is deceased) of the Mamas and the Papas, has been accused by his daughter Mackenzie Phillips of having a ten year incestous affair when she was 19. Now radio stations aren't sure if it is appropiate to play his music giving the severity of the allegations. Personally even if he did it (I actualy think he is probably guilty) his music should not be affected in any way, but I was curious as to see what other people think? especialy thoese alive during the Mamas and the Papas peak.

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Yeah it's getting some serious air time over here as well.
    I think stopping playing their music is pointless, it's been what... 40 years of having them on the radio? I doubt this is really going to deter anybody from listening to California Dreaming, sick as it is.

I also think it's important to note that, Mackenzie said it was consensual! Which is where the shock and disbelief comes I reckon.

3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

The latest, which I heard from an attorney who may become involved in the case is that there is no proof, no eyewitness accounts and some interesting issues which would lead one to believe that she is either lying to sell more books or that she really believes it happened when it did not.

One issue is that she never tried to get her younger sister away from him after having all of these "experiences". Also, she waited many years to say anything and it just happens to coincide with this book publication.

Unless there is some proof it should not detract from the enjoyment and pleasure one feels when hearing their music.

4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but I'm never ordering from Papa John's Pizza again. Who knows what's in the toppings.

:unsure:

5. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I actually believe her, of course it looks bad with a book coming out, but he was a serious drug addict and a scumbag who got is own kids onto drugs, this would not be much of a strech for him as awful as the acusations are. As far as his music is concerned time will tell I guess, I believe that there is less Michael Jackson on the radio now then if they would have been if not for the accusations against him, I honestly feel the same thing will happen with the Mamas and the Papas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.