"Jokes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sick of the ignorant, immature, distorted individuals who make "jokes" about things like rape and/or abuse. I was in an awful mood today, and there seemed to be an unfortunate abundance of kids who spent their day making fun of such sick subjects. Of course, conditions only worsened when I spoke up and told them how absolutely disgusted I was with their behavior. I was mocked cruelly for the remainder of the day, and it was followed by something that belongs in the Self-Harm Section, which is why I won't be going into detail with it. I'm so infuriated by my peers' actions, and I'm tempted to bring my new kubaton to school tomorrow to try it out. Needless to say, I won't do anything considering how drastic that would be, but I'm tempted nonetheless.

I apologize if I'm over-reacting. I've just always been very sensitive to things of that nature. Is it too much to ask of a group of fourteen-year-olds to grow up and stop being obnoxious though?

Anyway, has anyone else had similar experiences?

Yes. Similar experiences at 14, 15, 16, 17, 18.....

People with no self respect try to destroy others respect, only they dont even realise they're doing it.

Low self esteem is the world's greatest epidemic. Some tell unfortunate jokes, some suffer depression. Some drink too much, some become gym junkies. Some gather status symbols, some become stirrers, etc, etc, etc.

i have a partner who makes abuse, rape, prejudice jokes all the time, and there are times where i cant handle them, but thre are other times when i join in, not saying its right.
just that joking baout it is some how goign to make it all go away even though i know it wont.
i always played the joker thing
make a joke out of it before anyone else will and use it against you. that was my tact with bullies and perhaps its just sticking to me.
cynical, wrong view to have. but i'd rather joke about it than face it

I apologize if I was freaking out when I posted this. I was in an awful mood, and there were a lot of immature jokes that were just annoying me. I just don't find these things funny, and they can sometimes get on my nerves.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

As a gamer I see stuff like that thrown around a lot.

"You got raped" is a common after-game saying.
yeah in post game lobby its always that. people are flippent with using "rape" as an insult. they dont really care about the implications tbh.
unless you;ve been tehre you cant understadn the ramifications

I'm so sick of the ignorant, immature, distorted individuals who make "jokes" about things like rape and/or abuse. I was in an awful mood today, and there seemed to be an unfortunate abundance of kids who spent their day making fun of such sick subjects. Of course, conditions only worsened when I spoke up and told them how absolutely disgusted I was with their behavior. I was mocked cruelly for the remainder of the day, and it was followed by something that belongs in the Self-Harm Section, which is why I won't be going into detail with it. I'm so infuriated by my peers' actions, and I'm tempted to bring my new kubaton to school tomorrow to try it out. Needless to say, I won't do anything considering how drastic that would be, but I'm tempted nonetheless.

I apologize if I'm over-reacting. I've just always been very sensitive to things of that nature. Is it too much to ask of a group of fourteen-year-olds to grow up and stop being obnoxious though?

Anyway, has anyone else had similar experiences?
Hey you shouldn't blame them, they don't know what it means... I have to admit I do it too sometimes, not intended to hurt someone... If I knew you got abused and you were around I wouldn't joke about it. Most kids got a wrong idea of what rape means and they don't know how much it hurts. They think rape is like buttsmex:tongue: and that people like being raped. Or sumthing like that. Oh well I hope I didn't offend anyone:unsure:

I don't think it's used as to refer to something that people like having done to them, but as a way to signify domination of something.

For example I heard a kid say last year that he was raping in English class because he had an A-.

I don't think it's used as to refer to something that people like having done to them, but as a way to signify domination of something.

For example I heard a kid say last year that he was raping in English class because he had an A-.
this is sooo true. people use teh word rape for completely different things not the sexual sort.
and in regards to the sexual abuse, they cannot know how much it hurts. no one can untill it happens, and i would never want anyone to have that act inflicted upon them.

I'm all for stabbing randoms, but you have to remember that sometimes that is how people deal with things.

For example, I practically built myself (unfortunately) on telling these kinds of jokes. So yes, I probably would count as one of the assholes who tell the jokes, but in doing so you come to realise why people do them.

People will often make jokes (even subconsciously) about what they're going through and have been through to either make it seem less imposing, or they may just feel a relation to the joke through experience.

Others just need to get pissed though. I agree.

Summer.Rain

I think the problem is not with the kids, but with you.
when someone say "i raped you" you suddenly see this image or whatever
of an actual rape that happend to you, or just the way you think it could be..

For example, lets say we both playing a game
before we start i say "i will kill you!"
dose it triggers you? even though we all know that people get killed all the time?
i bet it wont, but after lets say i win, i say "i raped your lazzy ass"
suddenly it triggers you, why? because u take it personaly!

pwned, owned, raped, these are just exprassions of supremacy!
and just like when you dont really lough when you say LOL
same is the rape part, no one was actualy raped...
gamers exprassions are not litteral exprassions!
and if i say "i owned your ass" it dosnt mean im gay, or i got interest in your ass...
got my point?

The problem does is within yourself unfortunately. As "sick" as you may think it is "rape" is a term used as common street talk. Before you say it shouldn't be used I am positive you have said things that other people would consider triggering or inappropriate in the same reference that this is being used in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00