July Healthy Living Thread

Waves

Thank you for seeing something I'm still hoping to feel. Living. The working out is a first time thing ever and it's being done first thing in the morning before I talk myself out of going, it's to see if it helps my mental state. And it also takes up 2 hours of my day and that's a distraction and passing of time. I'm trying to create a habit so the daily is what I'm doing right now. I've heard here in SF that working out has helped some with some people so I'm giving it a try, I hope I stick with it long enough to see some kind of response. It took a long time for me to step out and give this a try...
I wish something for you*hug
hmmm. It is a good idea. Is it expensive ? Are people there friendly? Do they smile and chat a little?

I had a full workout today (1 hour and 15 minutes) with 35 minutes on the elliptical trainer and the rest doing situps, free weights and bands. At home. Feel really good. My goal for the rest of the month is to work out fully every 2 days but get at least half an hour of brisk walking on my "off" days.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
So reading all these responses and how well all of you are doing is starting to inspire me to actually do something about the sloth that I have become and the resulting weight gain that goes with it. Now to just come up with a routine that will work and that I can keep up. Walking has fallen by the wayside which isn't good as that at least got me moving once a day even if for only 45 minutes or so. So my goal for the week is to actually go walking with my former walking buddy who goes every day in the early morning. The key is to get up early enough that has been my challenge over the last month or so.

A_J_R

So reading all these responses and how well all of you are doing is starting to inspire me to actually do something about the sloth that I have become and the resulting weight gain that goes with it. Now to just come up with a routine that will work and that I can keep up. Walking has fallen by the wayside which isn't good as that at least got me moving once a day even if for only 45 minutes or so. So my goal for the week is to actually go walking with my former walking buddy who goes every day in the early morning. The key is to get up early enough that has been my challenge over the last month or so.
Walking is great exercise! I'm glad you are picking it back up again. Also, having a partner = accountability as well, so this is all great.

Always make your exercise choices enjoyable. I feel like that's the key.

A_J_R

I've finished Week One of my new nutrition plan, and it's been semi-challenging for a number of reasons, but eating more has actually been kind of nice. One thing I noticed was that I wasn't getting any spells of lightheadedness, which I've had daily for years and never really thought about until I stopped having them. So, I am happy to have figured out what my starvation-like diet was doing to me.

That said, meal prep is difficult since I hate cooking and now have to figure out the proper combinations. But that's OK. It's something positive and I can learn.

My exercise is pretty good, although I took a day off the other day because my personal training session the night before was too intense. I needed the next day for rest. But it's coming along. Like I've said, it's the one positive thing I do for myself, and I just have to keep going.

Livelife

SF Supporter
hmmm. It is a good idea. Is it expensive ? Are people there friendly? Do they smile and chat a little?
The owner teaches several classes and she is friendly and doesn't have a problem having to teach me about her equipment and weights from a beginner level. I haven't been to all different timed classes so I haven't met all the teachers yet. There's a mix of smiling and pleasant people and also people not interested in interacting. I am not very good any longer with socializing/initiating with new people so it's pushing me out of my comfort zone. Her pricing varies with whether you purchase unlimited per month attendance or if just paying for a number of classes. I hope that made sense.

Last edited:

Livelife

SF Supporter
I've finished Week One of my new nutrition plan, and it's been semi-challenging for a number of reasons, but eating more has actually been kind of nice. One thing I noticed was that I wasn't getting any spells of lightheadedness, which I've had daily for years and never really thought about until I stopped having them. So, I am happy to have figured out what my starvation-like diet was doing to me.

That said, meal prep is difficult since I hate cooking and now have to figure out the proper combinations. But that's OK. It's something positive and I can learn.

My exercise is pretty good, although I took a day off the other day because my personal training session the night before was too intense. I needed the next day for rest. But it's coming along. Like I've said, it's the one positive thing I do for myself, and I just have to keep going.
It sounds like you are really adjusting and embracing the dietary changes, the work of it, and content. And that's really good to have the lightheadedness question and experience answered and handled!!
Yes to putting one foot in front of the other; I didn't feel like going this morning but I did. :P

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Anything you can do even just as a starting point is a good thing and take it at your pace that you are comfortable with.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
Anything you can do even just as a starting point is a good thing and take it at your pace that you are comfortable with.
Yes know that it is time as yesterday my 106 year old mother in law who I love to death and who is nearly blind asked me if I had gained weight...she means it in a good way...but was a wakeup call that I need to start to do something....lol

Waves

The owner teaches several classes and she is friendly and doesn't have a problem having to teach me about her equipment and weights from a beginner level. I haven't been to all different timed classes so I haven't met all the teachers yet. There's a mix of smiling and pleasant people and also people not interested in interacting. I am not very good any longer with socializing/initiating with new people so it's pushing me out of my comfort zone. Her pricing varies with whether you purchase unlimited per month attendance or if just paying for a number of classes. I hope that made sense.
Thank you

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
2nd night in a row that i broke out in sweat. Enough to change out clothes type of dripping sweat. Alot of Stairs and hauling boxes around at work and it finally felt good that I wasnt getting hurt or being sore. Had to down alot of water/iced tea. I hope i keep the excerise/knocking projects out of the way type of roll I am on rolling on my 3 day off weekend coming up starting Friday AM. Booyah

Pebble mouse

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SF Pro
OMG, I have put on 4-5 Kg :(

I am very solidly built and quite tall so it doesn't really show, thankfully. Very unhappy with that, however. I have been comfort eating a bit. Back on the diet!

Livelife

SF Supporter
I took a sunrise walk with the pups and now off to a morning class. I took 2 days in a row off from the classes Sunday/Monday and it felt "wrong":D...but I've been told differently on how to space these workouts.....the owner says daily is fine because the focus of the class changes every day and some of the instructors say take a couple breaks in your week. I know me and if I don't do it regularly I will not stay committed.....

A_J_R

I've really fallen off of this thread (sorry, it's been an off month), but I've kept up with my workouts, training sessions, diet. What I notice so far is stronger fingernails, suffering less dizzy spells and I'm also getting better at the weight lifting. All in all, very encouraging, but my body dysmorphia makes the food intake kind of difficult. Luckily, my trainer / nutritionist is really sensitive and has been really good about letting me vent my fears.

I'm taking today and tomorrow off from exercise then doing a free workout on Sunday that one of my old bootcamp coaches put together. She's trying to run her own business and I decided to come to the event and cheer her on. It's HIIT and I've not done that. Only 1/2 hour and my friend is coming with me. Should be fun. Then, back to my regular schedule of workouts.

A month of adjusting, but this aspect of my life is actually OK.

Oh, and I had a plywood board nailed to my wall this week so I can do wall balls at home, and I got a weight bench too. I'm getting a barbell next. So, my home gym is coming along as well! Excited about that!

Livelife

SF Supporter
Just checking in here. I hope everyone is having a good week. I've been going to my HIIT and cardio classes, trying to get my body and mind accustomed to these kind of workouts. I'll be even further encouraged when I start to find enjoyment in this exercising. I actually accomplished 10 pushups this morning so there are definitely markers showing that strength and tolerance are starting to build in my upper body after going for a month. I was worried that I was going to lose weight with the calorie burning and that isn't happening which is good. I'm still walking and doing some yoga at home.

A_J_R

Sorry that I haven't been on here too much this month. July 2021 was a real struggle with depression. I did not stop working out, and it's been the best thing I have done all month. But I struggled too. Felt burnt out and sometimes just not as passionate as I'd like to be.

That said, I've been having some great gains in terms of weight lifting. Slowly by surely getting into higher numbers (not super high, but I got about 50 lbs over my head the other day and it felt really good). I'll continue this in August, and will do my best to be more diligent.

My diet is going well too. When I say diet, I'm eating MORE and I've stopped having dizzy spells, my fingernails are growing like mad and I have a lot more energy. The amount of food I"m eating is daunting, even though it's not that much more. My nutritionist said changing my mindset will take some time. She told me not to track my food with an app, because I started too and am already obsessed with calories/macros, etc. She said she just wants me to eat clean food in specific portions, and learn to be OK with it. So, that's what I'm working towards.

Not seeing a huge transformation in my body makeup, but I'm just starting. I do see little changes though and it's kind of cool. My shoulders are looking lean and like they never have before. I have biceps!

I also bought a weight bench and have a 35lb barbell coming. Next up, a squat rack! haha I"m obsessed. My home gym is tiny but it will be my sanctuary and I can't wait.

So, this aspect of my life has been good, even if the rest really went downhill and hard and fast. But I'm hanging in there. Hope everyone is OK. Thanks for letting me do this every month.

Livelife

SF Supporter
Sorry that I haven't been on here too much this month. July 2021 was a real struggle with depression. I did not stop working out, and it's been the best thing I have done all month. But I struggled too. Felt burnt out and sometimes just not as passionate as I'd like to be.

That said, I've been having some great gains in terms of weight lifting. Slowly by surely getting into higher numbers (not super high, but I got about 50 lbs over my head the other day and it felt really good). I'll continue this in August, and will do my best to be more diligent.

My diet is going well too. When I say diet, I'm eating MORE and I've stopped having dizzy spells, my fingernails are growing like mad and I have a lot more energy. The amount of food I"m eating is daunting, even though it's not that much more. My nutritionist said changing my mindset will take some time. She told me not to track my food with an app, because I started too and am already obsessed with calories/macros, etc. She said she just wants me to eat clean food in specific portions, and learn to be OK with it. So, that's what I'm working towards.

Not seeing a huge transformation in my body makeup, but I'm just starting. I do see little changes though and it's kind of cool. My shoulders are looking lean and like they never have before. I have biceps!

I also bought a weight bench and have a 35lb barbell coming. Next up, a squat rack! haha I"m obsessed. My home gym is tiny but it will be my sanctuary and I can't wait.

So, this aspect of my life has been good, even if the rest really went downhill and hard and fast. But I'm hanging in there. Hope everyone is OK. Thanks for letting me do this every month.
I'm glad to hear the food intake and the workouts and energy are good, your gym is coming along, and that the dizziness seems to have truly gone. And that you have happy biceps*stars Lol. It sounds like you have a caring nutritionist. Thank you for having created this space to touch base in. And I hope this work we are doing affects and eases the depression....

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Just take things one step at a time and I do believe you will do just fine, no need to hurry and don't get discouraged because time is your friend on fitness.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00