just a question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by andyc68, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

if you had children ( young ) and that was ALL you had to show for your life would that be enough to stop you from commiting suicide?

your thoughts please...
  2. mourningseraph

mourningseraph Well-Known Member

I have young children, but they live with their father (I'm divorced). I see them everyday but honestly, that's not going to stop me. I think they deserve better than a sad, suicidal mom. Hopefully the woman my ex marries will be the mother they deserve.
  3. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

even if i had serious post-natal depression i still wouldnt be able to do it because of this new life that i had helped create. i just couldnt deal with the fact that id be leaving a baby without its mother.
  4. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

thank you ladies :hug:
  5. mourningseraph

mourningseraph Well-Known Member

Hey, is everything ok? You probably have a billion friends... but if you ever need to talk to someone you can always PM me. :smile: (Not sure how much that means coming from a Bob fan.) ;)
  6. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

Probably would stop me, allthough I dont have any kids so I couldn't say for sure, however I doubt I could have reached the point I am at now If I had a family in the first place.
  7. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I'm looking forwards to taking on the Father/Protector social role. I hope it helps me put my depression in perspective--or at least help me find the strength to put my depression aside.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Definitely,without a doubt.

I knew a woman that committed suicide 2 years ago, and I can see already how it has affected her 11 year old son. He looks depressed,empty and lonely. It's awful.
  9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

It's going to sound horribly selfish but no. My children are suffering with me now. Yes they will suffer after I'm gone but the problems will go with me and they will finally be able to move on.
  10. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Hi Andy. I have a ten year old daughter and tbh she is probably the only reason I am still here. Even in those darkest moments it is the thought of how much it would hurt her if I was to commit that keeps me hanging on. Pm me if you feel the need to chat or my msn is in my profile. Hope you are OK. Best wishes.
  11. FrostyGrunt

FrostyGrunt Member

Having children would definitely stop me from committing suicide, my concrete belief is that by some mistake or intention you have children your own misery no matter how great is forever and always superseded by their needs. Because removing yourself unexpectedly and prematurely from their lives will undoubtedly cause them more agony than you have ever known. How could anyone stand the thought of causing their children such pain in life as even they could not bear?

Though if the child is an infant, and the parent has either been barred from participating in their rearing or permanently removed themselves from the relationship early on I could say this is an excusable thing to do. But only under those circumstances.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  12. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

It would stop me because of the pain it would cause her. And i wouldn't want to wish that sorta pain on anyway, especially not a child of mine.
  13. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

I'm a single parent with children ranging in age from preschool to college; and yeah - many times it is the fact that they need me and have no other family that keeps me going. Also, when I am able to focus on being thankful for them...that transforms my own thinking from focusing on my negative issues that overwhelm - at least a little bit.
  14. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

i have a 9 month old and.. i dunno if she would stop me... i have PND so each time i look at her, i feel nothing, like she isnt mine... like i cant love her, like a bad mother :sad:
  15. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

thank you all for your replies, my kids are the only thing that keeps me alive even if i dont see them everyday.

and Lexi, your not a bad mother, there is love inside you for your child, its just repressed at the moment hunni.
  16. camerondavid

camerondavid Guest

Absolutely! I have a seven year old son and a four month old baby girl, and if depression hit me, they would be more than enough to keep me from killing myself. I adore those kids. And would never want to hurt them or ruin their chance of having a daddy.
  17. BlueWind

BlueWind Well-Known Member

Yes definitely...i don't have children of my own but i've been a father to kids of ex-partners & my love for them (even now) stops me...
  18. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Oh, definitely! Cause then I would feel that my life had actually served some sort of purpose :rolleyes:

Saying that though, I know I don't actually want kids until I've gotten over some of my "issues". I'd hate to be a burden to them.
  19. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

It would stop me because i brought them into the world so its my responsibility to be there for them no matter what i want.my needs would no long compare to them. :hug: for you andy. Be strong for them hun.
  20. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey andy,
    Leaving your children behind does more damage than you would think. I mean I had to leave my daughter behind because the town my ex lives in is a ghost town all the factories have closed and moved elsewhere. so I had to come back to Florida to work. I see the damage done to her because she didn't have her father. We now speak on the phone regularly and I also have an 8 year old grandaughter who I try to talk to as much as I can so she knows she is loved. My point is just my not being there caused alot of damage, I can only think what would happen if you were to commit. They need there dad and I know you love them with all your heart. You are a great person in my book and I am always here for you. You do tend to hide your feelings though. You can feel safe that what ever you tell me stays between us. Take Care my friend!!~Joseph~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.