Just a random question

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Say you only like a song or two by an artist or band. Do you tell people that you like that song or do you tell them you like the band? (Assuming you haven't actually heard their other songs, so you neither like nor dislike them per se.)

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I say that "I like two songs by said band, but don't know the rest at all". They possibly have a thousand other songs that I wouldn't like at all, especially in metal where styles evolve, bands change their subgenres, etc. :) If I have a decent overview of their songs I start saying I like the band, or part of what they do, etc.

Bergerac

I think I would say I actually like the artist/band full stop. That is because, even if I were to listen further and dislike the other material, the artist/band still touched something within me and the lyrics were relatable and made me feel I wasn't alone and were sort of comforting, and had the ability to take me to, perhaps, another time and place/move me.
I don't think you need to like every song an artist/band creates, as they touch different people at different times, depending on what they've been through and are currently going through, so it's understandable. It also just simply down to personal preference, but the fact you enjoyed even one, suggests you like them, to me. Because, they had the ability through that one particular song, to get you to feel better/enjoy it. They have clearly demonstrated they are able to have that effect on you. And, later on, more songs may come out that appeal.

That's a question I've thought of quickly, in passing, but never gone into detail with. Good question, thank you.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I'd say that I would like the song until I get a chance to hear further material from them before I can form an opinion. This is just going on from past experiences whereby I may have listened to something and thought "ok that's cool," but then discovered the majority of other numbers by the band have not been to my liking. Then conversely, discovering that many other songs by them are to my taste.

OfLoveAndDeath

Of ❤️ and ☠️
Well I don't think any band/artist has one song that really encapsulates all the things that make up their signature sound, especially since that sound might change over time. So saying you like the band seems inaccurate.
So for example I might say that "I like one song by Periphery, but I haven't heard any others since thier music style isn't really my thing" or "I like a couple of Dragonforce songs but I'm not really a fan of them as a whole"

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Slightly embarrassing, but if i'm being totally honest, the answer can kind of depend on how much i want to incorporate the band in question into my image.
So for instance, i'll say i like Mob Deep despite only really knowing Survival of the Fittest, or that i like Boards of Canada despite only knowing Kid for Today and Seven Forty Seven. Not to say i wouldn't like their other stuff if i did listen to it, i just never got around to it. But i still claim to like the group despite knowingly liking two songs at most.

Meanwhile, My Chemical Romance, i'll happily just say Welcome to the Black Parade and Teenagers are solid songs, but they're not really my thing. Same with Slipknot, they make the odd decent song, like Psychosocial or Gehenna, but i don't really like them.
So it's a kind of aesthetic favouritism i guess.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Slightly embarrassing, but if i'm being totally honest, the answer can kind of depend on how much i want to incorporate the band in question into my image.
You're not the only one. :P I do this sometimes too.

Slipknot, they make the odd decent song, like Psychosocial or Gehenna, but i don't really like them.
Slipknot is fucking awesome. I didn't always think so, but that's because I never really gave them a chance.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I've listened to quite a few of their songs. There was a time i was really into them. But over the years they just kinda stopped really fitting with my overall style.
So you don't like the stuff from them you used to like anymore? I don't think that's happened to me since the Backstreet Boys when I was 10, lol. From then on, everything I started to like remained that way. :P

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
So you don't like the stuff from them you used to like anymore? I don't think that's happened to me since the Backstreet Boys when I was 10, lol. From then on, everything I started to like remained that way. :P
Yeah, i think i just got a lot more selective about what i determine to be a good song from bands like them. I think it's the same kind of thing as i had with Korn. Both of these were bands i got really into during my "i hate everything and everyone" phase, but then as i started to chill out, i lost interest in this kind of music because to me it began to feel a little "tryhardy" if that makes sense. Not that i judge anyone for still liking these bands, it's just that it no longer lined up with who i am as a person.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
I would say I like the songs, rather than the band. I like most of the music I’ve actively chosen to listen to since my mid-30s. If it’s on popular radio, I probably don’t know the name of the song or the artist these days, even if I like it. *hiding

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00