Just a rant about my job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I didn't know whether to put this here or under 'Work and Financial Problems', but decided to put it here in the end. It's rather long, so I apologize in advance if you wasted your time reading all this. I just needed to vent.

When you start a new job and your manager doesn't properly explain shit to you, expecting you to just figure everything out on your own, you have no choice but to either figure it out or you're automatically set up for failure.

I should have just opted for paper checks when I first got hired, but instead I chose for it to be deposited onto a prepaid card (that my employer was supposed to enroll me in and provide for me). When I asked her about it, she had no idea if my card would be there by the time payday came around. Hell, she might not even have enrolled me in it for all I know, nor did she provide me with any information regarding how to enroll in it myself.

I had to figure out how to make an account on the employee online portal (another thing that was neither told nor explained to me), after which I found out that even when/if my card did show up, it would take a couple of pay cycles for the money to start being directly deposited onto it. So in other words, whether I got the card in time or not, chances are that my pay won't be on it.

So now I have no clue how I'm going to get my pay. After becoming aware of all this bullshit, I did end up opting in for paper checks, but I did it a day after this previous pay cycle was already over. So the question running through my mind is am I still going to get a paper check if the money isn't going to be automatically deposited onto the card (which may or may not even show up) this coming payday? Or am I going to have to wait until the next official payday to even get paid?

All I know is, I better get my damn paycheck this week, one way or another. None of this shit was explained to me and my manager seems to know jack shit about any of it. Her response to me, after I said "I just want to make sure I get paid this week along with everyone else" was "We'll just have to see what shows up on Friday, but I don't see why you wouldn't." Not incredibly reassuring. All that tells me is basically, "I have no fucking clue what's going to happen, but good luck with that."

I need that fucking money, and if I don't get it for 3 more weeks due to her cluelessness and failure to explain any of this shit to me upon hire, I'm going to fucking snap. She's generally a nice person - understanding, flexible, and pleasant - and I like her overall as a manager. The only problem I have with her is that I feel like I'm expected to figure everything out on my own, both with the paycheck issue, and the job itself.

On my second day of work, I was trained for about 2 hours on register, shadowing a more experienced employee. All I did was watch her for a little while; I hadn't even tried doing any of it myself yet. Despite this, on my third day, she put me on register all by myself, no one watching over me, no one there to teach me how to do the more difficult shit like in-store pickups, returns, manually putting in competitors' coupons (which aren't scannable), manual price overrides, etc. And with as little training as I had, I only knew how to do the basics. Because of this, I had to radio for help over and over again until I gradually Iearned everything.

Anyway, bottom line is, I do like my job. I like the manager, the supervisors, my coworkers. I love the environment of the store itself and don't mind dealing with most of the customers, even the ones that make my job more difficult because 99% of them are still polite and patient for the most part, rather than rude and obnoxious.

What I don't like, however, is being left in the dark about shit, especially my pay. I give my all to this job. I come in early and leave late every day. I do everything that's asked of me (when told to work on the planogram and clean up the aisles, I specifically make sure everything is in its proper place, neat, and perfect looking -- so much so that I had 2 managers compliment me on how great it looked). I learn quickly with minimal (one could even say inadequate) training. Considering all of this, I think I deserve to be paid fairly and on time for everything I put into this job.

I guess we'll see what happens on Friday. I know it's no use thinking about it until then, but it's been bothering the fuck out of me. Not to mention, my husband is going to have a fit as well if it turns out that I don't get paid when I'm supposed to, and that's definitely something I don't want to have to deal with because no doubt it's going to get taken out on me and cause a huge fight. And that's a bunch of extra stress that I don't fucking need.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hey T -
Frustrating.
So is there an actual HR at this place out is this supervisor woman the top of the line? Maybe you can tiptoe quietly over her head and ask someone else since she doesn't seem to know her ass from her elbow.

I'm glad you're liking the job overall. The pay thing is going to shake out but that's not much of a consolation at this point. My thinking with the boys is she likely doesn't realize what an issue this causes you at home. It's not the usual situation, you know?

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Some managers really suck at managing.

From my limited experience, when there's a reason why a paycheck can't be deposited it will show up as a paper check. So I hope that just happens for you so you don't have to stress.

When I started grad school I had just moved across the country with basically negative money and didn't find out until I got there that I wouldn't get a paycheck until the end of my first month there. Makes sense now that I've been on monthly academic pay periods forever, but that sure didn't help me pay my bills my first month in a new state.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Hey T -
Frustrating.
So is there an actual HR at this place out is this supervisor woman the top of the line? Maybe you can tiptoe quietly over her head and ask someone else since she doesn't seem to know her ass from her elbow.

I'm glad you're liking the job overall. The pay thing is going to shake out but that's not much of a consolation at this point. My thinking with the boys is she likely doesn't realize what an issue this causes you at home. It's not the usual situation, you know?
She's top of the line at this particular store. Maybe there are some numbers I could find on the employee portal to call and ask about all this shit. I just feel like it might make me look impatient because most people would probably just wait until Friday and accept whatever happens without making a big deal out of it.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I just feel like it might make me look impatient because most people would probably just wait until Friday and accept whatever happens without making a big deal out of it.
Kind of goes back to what I was saying about people not understanding your life. I get she's the top of your store but maybe looking over that at an HR number is worth it.

And they could be in contact with her in done way so make sure you're ultra nice about her if you speak with them in case they repeat what you say.

(I'd actually call instead of wait)

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Kind of goes back to what I was saying about people not understanding your life. I get she's the top of your store but maybe looking over that at an HR number is worth it.

And they could be in contact with her in done way so make sure you're ultra nice about her if you speak with them in case they repeat what you say.

(I'd actually call instead of wait)
Yeah, that's another thing too. I don't want to make her look bad or incompetent in any way for not being able to answer my questions to the point where I had to go to another source for information. I don't know. I'll have to think about it. I might try calling, or I might just wait. If @sinking_ship is right that you normally get a paper check if it can't be deposited in any way, then I should be okay, hopefully.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Its still your money and bills got to be paid, it is a huge inconvenience that is taken very seriously. Depending on your job and what state you live in, you can report this to the department of labor if you have not yet been paid. Contact your companys HR though the phone and go from there. Some companies will respond very quick. When I was missing some hours and brought it up to the CFO my company asked me right away if I wanted a check cut right there on the spot. Thats how serious it can be taken. Talk to the payroll department. Sort it out. Dont wait.

And wait it out on manager training issue. Get a feel for the work politics before complaining and once you got the right person that wont let this bite you in the ass later explain about some job training flaws that happened to you that you dont want any other new prospective employees to go through. Though new, this manager id not complain about her yet as some bosses can make your life miserable though before criticizing their training methodology

When I am training staff at my company I dont allow them to shadow doing nothing saying nothing. I force them to interact and do the task with hands on experience after a bit of feeling them out if they are motivated or not. I teach more to the ones that wants to learn and I dont bother with the ones that I know will be a waste of my time.

Last edited:

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Ugh, yes, I know how you feel. Also hate being left to figure shit out on my own when starting a new job. So much fucking anxiety.

But I’m glad you like the job itself. I mean, it sounds like it’ll be a pretty chill place to work once you’ve been there a few weeks and got everything sorted out.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
T, it sounds as although your manager might be a charming person, she comes across as a bit of a fuckwit when it comes to her managerial skills ie setting up your pay or organising effective training.. It's obvious it seems that she doesn't grasp the gravity of whether you'll be paid or not. Naturally of course you don't wish to rock the boat with her, so maybe have a gentle word with her in private, stressing that you've got financial commitments to make and so would ideally like to be paid on time. Then maybe ask if she or you could speak to someone in HR (as mentioned by others) or the pay dept, to confirm that you will be paid by cheque until your prepaid card is sorted out. At least this way you won't be seen to going over her head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00