just a rant, feel free to ignore

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by MourningAngel, Jun 29, 2009.

1. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

i'm an idiot, too stupid to get anything done, i can'T even do a simple presentation. the usual comments " u talk to fast" " your eyes are glued to your paper" well sorry but i can't do it any better! i can'r change thuat i suck at everything i do so why the hell should my presentation be any better than anything else i do?! i'm too stupid i know that than you very much no one has to tell me that they "heard worse" well thank you, why don'T you just tell me i screwed up and that's it! but no of course you want to be "nice" to me. and don'T you dare ask me why i am this way why i did/do what i did/do be sure that you won't get one true word out of me when you do! i know i'm an idiot i know i can't do anything right or good, i know i haven't gat the qualities that one should have nowadays but i can'T change it! i'm me, i'm nothing and that's the end of it! nothing will ever change so shut up and leave me alone! i don'T want to hear what you say you don't know who you are talking to, what you are dealing with so don't even try!

sorry, i just had to get that out

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:hug: You're not stupid hun!

Just keep trying and keep practising. Practise makes perfect :arms:

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Those are typical comments students receive on presentations. Those are a few of the things teachers are particularly paying attention to. Don't feel like you are stupid because of it. Everyone gets nervous and those are common crutches. Just do your best. You can make it a goal to improve each time, if only a little bit. Public speaking is an art and takes time to develop. Allow yourself that time. :hug:

4. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

If you want to get better at presentations and public speaking check out Toastmasters.

5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

-:hug: for MourningAngel-

First, you survived the ordeal. That is a huge step. More people are afraid of public speaking than anything else. Lots of people get an overwhelming sense that they won't even survive the presentation, but you did! :) (I cried when I did my first one I was so nervous.)

Next, as Gentlelady noted, it's an art and it takes practice. No one is perfect the first time. Actually, no presentation is ever "flawless." Spend some time watching various people on the local news. Watch clips of good speakers (lawyers, politicians, preachers, newscasters, CEOs from corporations) and see what you like and dislike about their presentation styles. You can be sure the good ones have practiced.

I see that someone has suggested Toastmasters. My dad was a member and it helped him a lot with making presentations for work!

Sometimes we aren't good at public speaking because we are nervous about what people will think of us. But, when we give a talk, we're the expert on the topic - and are in control of the presentation.

It sometimes helps to have a max of three main points in a presentaion, each main point with three sub-points. This means we really have to decide what points are the most important and work around those.

When you can, talk about things that you know a lot about. If it is an assigned topic, sometimes we might have to read/research/make notes and gather visual materials to show the group.

The more familiar we are with the subject, the easier it is to talk about it. Find an angle that makes it interesting to YOU. Your own enthusiasm makes your audience more eager to listen.

Try rehearsing your talk at three times slower than you want to give it. We all speed up when we're a bit nervous. Rehearsing at a slow speed will help you to deliver a presentation at the right speed.

And again, you did get through the presentation, so congratulations! You are NOT stupid!

A.

6. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

It is said the most common fear people have is public speaking... noone likes doing it and it takes a ton of practice to get good at it, dont get discouraged with time it will get better :hug: